Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

SC46A_S AERO ABC Help.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
arko6620/09/2008 07:45:00
44 forum posts
4 photos

Hi friends. I have finally got to the stage after mounting my engine where Im ready to flick the prop.. I have waited 3 weeks to get the bugger back after threading the carb screws! All I need now is advice on Tuning, firing-up, the correct fuel and after-run servicing. Can anyone enlighten me? The manual is not as informative as this Forum.  Many thankx in advance......

Ian.

260 Flyer20/09/2008 09:15:00
523 forum posts
1 photos

Ian

I suggest you read this thread and heed the advice!

Good luck!

Rob

arko6620/09/2008 12:20:00
44 forum posts
4 photos

Thankx Rob.

simon barr20/09/2008 12:27:00
1034 forum posts
16 photos

Hi Ian,

Please find someone to help you with starting this engine.  I saw a mate of mine from Guernsey the other day, an experienced modeller of many years, and he has just taken the tips off two of his fingers with a 40 sized engine.  They are still black, numb and 3/4 inch shorter!

arko6620/09/2008 18:31:00
44 forum posts
4 photos

Wow! That sounds real bad! Thats my problem, Ive never fired one up before and I need all the advice I can get!!  I keep looking through the archives and I am starting to think that this is one massive casualty unit, if you havent done it before! This is putting me off very quickly.BUT! I am determined to get this Gal up! Fingers or not! Any advice will be taken on-board and adhered to!

Thaqnkx in advance.....Ian,.

260 Flyer20/09/2008 19:07:00
523 forum posts
1 photos

Ian

Once someone has shown you how to do it, you'll soon master the technique and it will become second nature to you.

Just never loose that healthy respect for those two whizzing steak knives!

Brian Lambert20/09/2008 19:29:00
339 forum posts
6 photos

OK fuel 5% nitro 18% oil preferably synthetic.

Read the instructions

Glow plug Enya No3.

Read the instructions.

Connect tank, clunk to carburetor. Vent to nipple on exhaust. If there is another pipe block it off for now.

Read the instructions.

SC engines come just about setup for starting if you don't fiddle with them.

Read the instructions

Fill the tank with fuel, remove the fuel tube from the carburettor and fill through here, reconnect the carburettor.

You have probably read the instructions by now!

Now I assume ( always dangerous) that you have a propeller mounted on the engine and it has been balanced and all the sharp edges have been smoothed off, the trailing edge can be VERY sharp on molded props.

So with nothing connected to the glow plug, place a finger over the exhaust hole in the silencer and with the carb fully open flip the prop anticlockwise (looking form the prop end of the engine) about 4 or 5  times. You should notice that the fuel is driven up the fuel line into the carb. Now with the carb still fully open and nothing connected to the glowplug flip the prop over another 5 times then close the carb untill there is about an 3mm hole )Almost closed) right, now the dangerous bit, go to the model shop and get a "chicken stick"

Now conect the glow driver to the plug, take the chicken stik and using it instead of your finger turn the prop anticlockwise untill you can feel it getting more dificult to turn, now still using the chicken stick sharply rotate the prop clckwise about  3/4 of a turn and smartly remove the chicken stick.

If it starts  remember that the prop is now rototing at a speed that can do damage to anything that comes into conntact with it.

Now for the best bit of addvice Locate you local model flying club go to their field and find someone who knows what they aer doing to help you.

Now a bit of personal avice from me donot use an electric starter on your engine untill you understand what is happening inside the model engine, How many bent con rods have i seen over the years caused by electric starters? the answer is lots. Hope this is some help.

Brian

PS when the engine is running remove the power to the glow plug.

arko6621/09/2008 07:08:00
44 forum posts
4 photos
Thankx Rob, thats sounds good advice and I will try to do it your way step by step. Im glad you mentioned the electric starter because I have bought one and was going to use that, I wont bother then for the first couple of tests. As for my SC46A engine, is it ok to use a 5%/10% mix? Maybe Duraglow 10?
Brian Lambert21/09/2008 19:19:00
339 forum posts
6 photos

Yes 10% will be fine.

Brian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us