Forum sponsored by CML

Mini Jazz or similar being considered

To build or consider alternativenot

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
i12fly19/07/2018 00:15:34
505 forum posts
21 photos

I'm an experienced balsa basher at heart and looking to build a small model that I can throw into a small car assembled that will get me into trying 3D.

As a result I'm considering the Mini Jazz. It will be electric and balsa (I've got a really good stock of balsa). Does anyone have advice for a similar (better?) model?

I've read the reviews/blogs here but would appreciate any opinions before I order the plan.

Are there any modifications recommended to the plan?

Thank you

Denis Watkins19/07/2018 07:51:17
2899 forum posts
141 photos

Check out Martyns

**LINK**

Nigel R19/07/2018 09:29:49
1394 forum posts
305 photos

"get me into trying 3D"

Would seriously recommend a simulator for a number of hours and then a small cheap foamie. An all wood model wouldn't be on my list of recommendations.

i12fly19/07/2018 20:49:16
505 forum posts
21 photos

Hi Denis, Martyn's build log is indeed excellent, I've looked at all the posts on here about MJ and that is what started my enthusiasm. It is quite an old design now and I wondered if there was something out there more recent but just as good or better. I like balsa building and I've got a good stock of material. I've got heavier bigger aerobatic models I fly but want something small to go fully rigged in my smallish car that will cope with a breeze, a bit more exciting and good to play with in winter.

Thank you for your post Nigel, I know you are right about a foamie, I considered the H/King MX2 3D but I do like balsa. One thing I don't like is simulators, I've got Phoenix but rarely use it, because -it may seem silly, but after 10 to 15 minutes I feel airsick. I don't have this problem in a full size..... or flying a model.

Denis Watkins19/07/2018 21:31:09
2899 forum posts
141 photos

Set your view in Phoenix to keep ground in view

Like you do with the model

I cannot rate time on the Sim highly enough

You have somehow come to the wrong conclusion

The Sim will move you forward, without model damage, just press reset

Martyn K20/07/2018 08:00:24
4611 forum posts
3217 photos

My thoughts with the Mini Jazz. With the .15 that I used to power it, it was fine for conventional aerobatics but would need more power for harrier type manoeuvres.

It is a great model, however, I don't fly mine very often as I have eyesight problems (I prefer to fly much bigger aeroplanes) but this thread has inspired me to get it out again.

If you do build it, add a couple of extra vertical grain strips around the fus (like a doubler) around the TE of the Fus. Its a weak point in the design.

Good luck.

Martyn

Nigel R20/07/2018 09:36:23
1394 forum posts
305 photos

Thoughts on Mini Jazz -

It looks like it has a massive thick wing section. Not 100% ideal for 3d. Thinner sections tend to stay stalled when you do a harrier. Thick tends to be in and out of stall. YMMV on this point.

Fuselage is not that deep/tall - more side area would be good. It's also too short. Long helps knife edge, adds more side area, generally aids stability in all maneuvers.

It'll work for prop hanging, probably be twitchy (see comment on short fuse) but it is now 20 years old and 3d designs have been refined a bit since then.

At the size of Mini Jazz, foamies are lighter and will bend a little, if you "land a bit hard".

If you really want to build a balsa model for 3d, I would suggest a profile type at a slightly larger size.

Denis sums up the simulator perfectly - "it will move you forward, without model damage".

"H/King MX2 3D"

Is absolutely excellent value. I have one which now has just gone past 100 flights (and accumulated a number of patches and repairs!) and am thinking of getting another to replace it.

It has one or two weak points in the design - they are easily sorted. Mostly with PVA and some tissue / brown paper / card to reinforce the foam a bit and prevent it warping over time.

Edited By Nigel R on 20/07/2018 09:55:57

i12fly20/07/2018 19:07:14
505 forum posts
21 photos

Ok, thank you for the advice I'm going to take it. I've ordered the MX2 from HK and put the Mini Jazz on the back burner. I'll get the Phoenix out too.

I've got a suitable motor, esc and servos, just need to get1300 3s batteries to keep the weight down as the nearest I've got are 2200's

Nigel R, I'd appreciate advice on the weak spots, then I can mend it before it breaks...….. smile p

I guess they are just in front of the tailplane and just in front of the wing?

Nigel R20/07/2018 22:26:53
1394 forum posts
305 photos
No worries hope you enjoy flying it!

1300mah will be about right. I get 5 1/2 minutes from a 1000mah pack.

I've used a 3536 1000kv on 10x3.8 prop which gives plenty of grunt.

Weak spots:

The fin attachment isn't very secure. I've used an inch wide strip of heavy paper across the joint.

Undercarriage mount is ok but the gear itself is ridiculous, very thin and far too flexible. A thin wire to tie the legs together works wonders.

The Controls are a bit flexible. If you can cover them with tissue / pva they stiffen up nicely. Same goes for the fin and tailplane.

I also did the strip of heavy paper trick (as per fin to fuselage) on the tailplane to fuselage joint and wing to fuselage joint.

Lastly the fuselage just above the wing is a bit weak where it is hollowed out for the gear. Another inch wide strip of paper running from nose to just behind the wing makes it good.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues