Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Geoffrey Wellum

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geoff S25/07/2018 17:36:42
3689 forum posts
29 photos

When we were in the USA a few years ago we visited a WW2 US warship in S Carolina. It had a computer to calculate shell trajectories but it was analogue, mechanical, and very big Not feasible to carry in a Lancaster let alone a Spitfire.

I suppose technology has moved on very rapidly since WW2, particularly in electronics/computing, so I suppose youngsters can be excused for not realising how new things they regard as 'normal' are. However, I guess Geoffrey Wellum would have taken the question in his stride.

Geoff

J D 825/07/2018 18:32:48
1523 forum posts
84 photos

A similar mechanical computer can be seen on HMS Belfast in London.

My youngest daughter [ now in her twenty's ] once asked " How,just HOW did we live without computers and mobile phone's!

Former Member25/07/2018 19:31:31

[This posting has been removed]

dave parnham25/07/2018 20:17:34
188 forum posts
15 photos

I downloaded the AudioBook First Light for my Summer Break in Cornwall in September...….im already on chapter 9 just cant stop listening to it Fascinating!! What a life these young men lived.....always be grateful.

Peter Jenkins25/07/2018 21:22:43
1624 forum posts
305 photos
Analogue computers would have been familiar to pilots at the time. The good old slide rule and rotary computer, still in use today, to plot wind speed and direction to calculate required heading at your cruising speed. There was also the later version of the gun sight which helped pilots by calculating the lead by which they had aim ahead of the target driven by gyro. So, there were computers then but not in a form today's youth would recognise. These computers also needed you to have an estimation of the answer and certainly its order of magnitude. That would amaze today's youth!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!