By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Who wants to share a new Flair Baronette build?

Iím going o build my Flair Baronette, probably electric and we havenít seen a completed thread for a few years with this kit; letís change that!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul james 828/09/2018 17:30:14
174 forum posts
48 photos

Peachy flying there Simon!!! Given me a bit of enthusiasm to get mine finished and flying

Hope you get many more fun filled flights from your model.

Simon Knight28/09/2018 18:13:37
216 forum posts
408 photos

Thanks Gents, as you can tell by my face I was very happy with how it all turned out in the end. Thanks again to you Jeff for the rotary, and Paul, when you finish yours, stick a picture for us to see.

Simon Knight13/10/2018 18:51:51
216 forum posts
408 photos

So the weather is rubbish and I haven't space to build another model. I know that she flies well having had another 3 good flights on Wednesday so a little fettling with her looks. Having just modded my Sopwith Pup from real wire to elastic cord, decided t do something similar. Decided to add the bracing wires on the undercarriage and just a pair of them on the upper fuselage too. Due to proportions, they don't cross where the real ones do, but I think they add a nice little simple detail. Used metallic elastic and fishing crimps glued into the frame. Holds well and flexes without causing any stress anywhere.

Simon Knight28/09/2019 20:17:12
216 forum posts
408 photos

So, a year in and I had the sad experience of a technical failure on my most recent flight with this lovely model. I/we, think it was a failure of the battery connection resulting in the receiver switching off and then arming once AGM after hitting the ground. Basically, we had been flying nice low circuits, done some loops and rolls and then as I went in another circuit after bat 2 minutes of flying the model went silent, and nosed into the field. o response from the control surfaces and just a cry of doom from me. It could have been worse, but she wasn’t going to fly again for a couple of weeks. This was 2 weeks ago and the crash site investigation photos follow. Note that the elevator was locked in the extreme down position, something that under normal movement it wouldn’t get close too.

Simon Knight28/09/2019 20:20:49
216 forum posts
408 photos

3eee2f6a-0722-4c8b-b04a-b0acd705f020.jpegfc067387-4a2c-43c0-bd50-86f029052402.jpeg

Simon Knight28/09/2019 20:22:00
216 forum posts
408 photos

Never one to miss an opportunity, it’s time for a new colour scheme change and a repair smiley

Chris Walby28/09/2019 20:33:35
1230 forum posts
303 photos

Sorry to hear of the incident.

So why do you think it pre-impact with full down elevator? If you just lost power (battery connection) then all of the controls would stay put (last position). If you were doing a bunt then yes full down or it moved on impact.

If the elevator servo failed it would have dived, but the motor would still be controllable, where as if the RX lost power you would have no control and hear/see the prop/motor go quite.

INHO is important to try and find the cause, would not be good to carry out the repair, fix what you think was the problem only to find out it was something else.

Good luck with the rebuild and please keep us posted, all the best.

Simon Knight29/09/2019 07:30:39
216 forum posts
408 photos

Morning Chris and thanks for the comments. You are absolutely right re identifying the problem, so I plugged her all together (electrics anyway) yesterday. All servos operate normally with no unusual sounds, they moved as expected and didn’t go beyond the limits I had set. The motor runs fine (without prop fitted) and the current draw was well under the 60C the battery can deliver. The battery connection is good and not loose.

Thinking back to the crash, I did lose all control and the motor did go silent. The model was in a tight left hand turn at the time with rudder applied and probably some up elevator to keep the turn tight. Silence, nose pitch down and thump. The model therefore probably stalled with loss of power and banking left so little lift on the wings. When I got to the model it was still buzzing, the battery whilst out of the model was sill connected so perhaps it was therefore a receiver loss of connection momentarily.

It’s a Spektrum receiver and I have only had connection loss twice in all the years I’ve been using them and never with this actual one fitted. It all works at the moment and at the time, it had flown in the area already that morning that I lost signal so really not sure why it would have done so that time frown

cymaz29/09/2019 10:35:46
9245 forum posts
1194 photos

It does sound like a tip stall from what you say....face 19. Was it flying up wind?

Edited By cymaz on 29/09/2019 10:36:26

Paul james 830/09/2019 08:24:29
174 forum posts
48 photos

Oh dear, that is bad news

I've finally got mine ready to maiden but the forecast of hurricane winds is sparing it from that for the time being.

Look forward to seeing yours all back together with its new colour scheme!

Paul james 830/09/2019 08:36:09
174 forum posts
48 photos

A few photos of how I got round the winglet fitting, I can remove the axle without having to unsolder it by doing this.

20190917_165701.jpg

20190917_165713.jpg

20190917_165859.jpg

20190917_183204.jpg

David Davis30/09/2019 11:15:48
3735 forum posts
710 photos
Posted by Simon Knight on 28/09/2019 20:22:00:

Never one to miss an opportunity, it’s time for a new colour scheme change and a repair smiley

Mine was in the colours of Hans Weiss, one of von Richtofen's flight leaders. It flew well with an OS40 Surpass up front but it was difficult to steer on the ground. I sold it before I moved to France hence the lack of engine.

Lothar von Richtofen,Manfred's brother, had a similarly painted triplane but his was finished in yellow where Weiss's is painted white.

P.S. If Hans Weiss had been English his name would have been John White!

baronette in the colours of hans weiss.1..jpg

baronette in the colours of hans weiss. 2..jpg

baronette in the colours of Hans Weiss

kc30/09/2019 12:35:34
6492 forum posts
173 photos

Personally I would suspect the ESC ( if it is used to power the Rx too)

I had a similar sort of incident with a new model on first flight and brand new ESC. Everything worked perfectly, then everything failed, hit the long grass with minimal damage ( lucky) Afterwards everything worked! A 'soak' test on the bench revealed a momentary failure of power which suggested ESC faulty. It just glitched once for a moment, wouldn't do it again. Replaced ESC and it's never happened since. I cut the leads off the old ESC so it cannot be used! That was a model with Futaba FAAST radio.

My view is to never trust any of the radio gear unless you find a definite fault and rectify. A very good reason for not buying expensive Tx that could not be scrapped!

Edited By kc on 30/09/2019 12:49:48

Simon Knight30/09/2019 16:42:47
216 forum posts
408 photos

Well it looks like I may have solved the mystery and it has added a pre car packing check. So all the electrics work and had a temporary power loss in flight leading to the stall but all working again when in a heap in the field. The comment from kc made me have closer look at all the connections and guess what? The positive wire solder on the EC3 plug was weakened and with a very gentle tug came away! I therefore surmise that somehow in the manoeuvre the lead separated creating a temporary power loss and when the model tipped in the connection was made again. I always pull the plugs when separating the battery so hence not noticing the looser wire indecision

Time for a new plug and some better soldering! Something else to check on the other models before I load them up for the flying site; once the weather significantly improves!

I’ll put some pics up of the fix when I get some more time. Looking so much better already and I think she’ll fly again after some more tweaking.

Paul james 830/09/2019 17:03:10
174 forum posts
48 photos
Posted by Simon Knight on 30/09/2019 16:42:47:

Well it looks like I may have solved the mystery and it has added a pre car packing check. So all the electrics work and had a temporary power loss in flight leading to the stall but all working again when in a heap in the field. The comment from kc made me have closer look at all the connections and guess what? The positive wire solder on the EC3 plug was weakened and with a very gentle tug came away! I therefore surmise that somehow in the manoeuvre the lead separated creating a temporary power loss and when the model tipped in the connection was made again. I always pull the plugs when separating the battery so hence not noticing the looser wire indecision

Time for a new plug and some better soldering! Something else to check on the other models before I load them up for the flying site; once the weather significantly improves!

I’ll put some pics up of the fix when I get some more time. Looking so much better already and I think she’ll fly again after some more tweaking.

Look forward to seeing it ready to take to the air again. I guess these darn glow powered ones have their own potential problems, hopefully mine will just keep chugging along

Many years ago I had a model that was more like Triggers broom than a plane; it crashed every single flight and I couldn't work out what I was doing wrong. In the end I decided to dismantle all the servos; lo and behold one of the wires was just touching the pcb but at a certain frequency obviously vibrated far enough away from the board to cause catastrophe. The blasted thing ran fine on the ground bit it was a good lesson learned.

kc30/09/2019 17:50:39
6492 forum posts
173 photos

I had a motor lead unsolder itself because the gold 3.5 mm connector was slightly loose in the socket and the heat created by sparking was enough to melt solder! The motor stopped in flight and even when landed and the hatch removed to look at the wires it was far too hot to touch,

But I am going to suggest that Simon's problem may have been the poor quality joint passed enough current normally but that under maximum load ( all the servos working at once?) it was not sufficient.

Simon Knight30/09/2019 18:51:50
216 forum posts
408 photos

You can see from the dented cowl that the impact was hard.

Explains why the centre wing snapped where it did under twisting moment from the upper and lower wings which are amazingly damage free (relatively).

Fuselage broke at the weakest point, that being where it is attached to the box frame, but n easy fix and some added bracing.

Some metal bashing sorted the cowl and once all glued and secure, the useful HK white covering has done the job:

Paul james 830/09/2019 21:07:55
174 forum posts
48 photos

Good to see it all coming back together so quickly Simon!!!

Simon Knight01/10/2019 19:25:18
216 forum posts
408 photos

Ok so the latest update...

If you have checked out my album for this model you'll have noticed that I am writing a day or 2 behind actual progress.

Having competed the covering and various patching up, I used the trusted Halfords grey primer.

I have decided to go for a more standard scheme for the repaint, and mainly because of the various paints I have available. So, a light blue underside and struts (believe it should be turquoise or something like that?)

I have painted the gear in blue and solid olive (ish) green and tried to weather the wheels a little.

The main covering is going to be streaked olive green over a light linen colour...saved them weight and money, saves me weight and money. Then, to top it all off, rather than linseed oil for a gloss finish I applied a paint gloss finish. Cross Pattee are solarfilm on a painted white background.

With the wing repair completed and the upper and centre rejoined, I now just need to sort the rudder, resolder the ESC (crash culprit...I hope) and work a better way of mounting the engine to the model to avoid rubbing on the motor.

All said and done, whilst i was very disappointed with the crash I am quite happy how she has turned out. More pictures to follow when completed and hopefully flown in the next 2 weeks subject to Hurricanes (not the WW2 type).

kc02/10/2019 12:07:13
6492 forum posts
173 photos

That's quite a neat bit of panel beating on that cowl........there may be others interested in how you did it.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!