By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Who wants to share a new Flair Baronette build?

Iím going o build my Flair Baronette, probably electric and we havenít seen a completed thread for a few years with this kit; letís change that!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Simon Knight03/10/2019 22:01:17
215 forum posts
404 photos

Thanks kc, it was the careful combination of some cardboard on the garage floor and gentle encouragement from my nylon hammer to get the main shape back then fingers and screwdriver handle to get the curve back in. It’s not perfect but then are any real cowls?

Edited By Simon Knight on 03/10/2019 22:01:43

Simon Knight04/10/2019 08:04:47
215 forum posts
404 photos

Engine refitted after successful soldering repair on the ESC and test bench run.

A liitle more subtle bending of the cowl and it fits nicely now. You'd never know it had crashed, well almost.

Before I can fit the wings on again I'm waiting for new nylon bolts. The original 2 sheared which I think saved the rest of the model from worse damage. I had considered replacing with metal bolts I have but have thought better of it, just in case.

Edited By Simon Knight on 04/10/2019 08:06:32

Paul james 804/10/2019 08:34:56
149 forum posts
47 photos

Good idea to stick with the plastic bolts Simon, at least they get to break rather than smash the plane even worse. I believe they are imperial sizes as I had to find a couple for mine and none of my metric ones fitted.

Simon Knight14/10/2019 16:53:58
215 forum posts
404 photos

That has been painful! I’ve been trying to find the right size nylon bolts to fix the model back together and have failed totally to get the exact match. Definite Imperial as neither M4 or M5 are right, it’s somewhere between. I even looked at raiding some of my other Flair kits and replacing them with Metric, but none of them fitted (7 different kits including 2 Baronettes). Either previous owners have done the same or my first one was older than the others.

Well I decided to use M4 bolts with retainer nuts fixed to the original ones and it all seems very secure. Electrics checked and ready for test flight...just need the weather to get better now.

stu knowles14/10/2019 18:17:46
572 forum posts
44 photos

Model Fixings have a variety of odd thread Nylon (and Steel) fixings. I had a Sig Cub with weird strut fixings. They sorted it easily and much quicker than digging out the fixed nuts.

Paul james 815/10/2019 10:13:20
149 forum posts
47 photos
Posted by Simon Knight on 14/10/2019 16:53:58:

That has been painful! I’ve been trying to find the right size nylon bolts to fix the model back together and have failed totally to get the exact match. Definite Imperial as neither M4 or M5 are right, it’s somewhere between. I even looked at raiding some of my other Flair kits and replacing them with Metric, but none of them fitted (7 different kits including 2 Baronettes). Either previous owners have done the same or my first one was older than the others.

Well I decided to use M4 bolts with retainer nuts fixed to the original ones and it all seems very secure. Electrics checked and ready for test flight...just need the weather to get better now.

Not sure if they might be a BA size as I had a similar problem. Unless they have been glued in really soundly I find the barbed steel thread inserts quite easy to get out and change for a more readily available metric size. In this case 5mm looked the closest. I simply put a socket spanner over the head of the insert and then using whatever screw will pass through the insert, a nut and a couple of washers just winch it back out of the plywood. Reinserting can be done the same way but obviously with a smaller socket to just clear the main diameter of the new insert.

I bought a box of 5mm nylon bolts and a pack of inserts so if you need any in the future drop me a line and I can stick a couple in the post.

Weather calm here today and rain not forecast, the field will be "soft" but might be tempted to go and fly something later today

Simon Knight17/10/2019 19:34:22
215 forum posts
404 photos

Hope you got some flying Paul.

Well my aircraft is in one piece again but not yet flown. A couple of pictures of her finished and back with the Flight ready for the better weather. The day of the pictures was lovely but I didn't have time to get to the flying site.

Simon Knight04/11/2019 16:14:09
215 forum posts
404 photos

Very pleased that with such a lovely weather day today, I managed to get the Baronette airborne successfully for just shy of 20 minutes (not in one go). She flew as well as before and managed all of the usual loops rolls and low passes. The repairs held up and I think she looks as good now as when first built.

jeff2wings04/11/2019 20:07:21
796 forum posts
1891 photos

Well done Simon on getting it back together and it looks even better in it's new (Voss?) colours yes

Simon Knight04/11/2019 20:58:25
215 forum posts
404 photos

Thanks Jeff, yes Voss; would have been Kempf but I couldn’t get the lettering right so kept it simple.

Bruce Collinson04/11/2019 21:52:19
404 forum posts

Bet the t nuts were 1/4 UNC. Modelfixings.

BTC

Paul james 805/11/2019 10:48:45
149 forum posts
47 photos
Posted by Bruce Collinson on 04/11/2019 21:52:19:

Bet the t nuts were 1/4 UNC. Modelfixings.

BTC

If they were the original ones mine were quite a bit smaller than 1/.4 inch.

Plane looks great after the refurb, still waiting for the weather to improve so I can get mine flown, too wet to get the grass cut short enough for this type of model to take off from.

Paul Marsh05/11/2019 21:13:14
3727 forum posts
1057 photos

I built one many years ago, and still have it. OS 40FS power.

i12fly07/11/2019 20:52:39
564 forum posts
21 photos

I used to have a Baronette (10 yrs ago), really enjoyed flying it, when if I could get it off the ground. It was a nightmare for ground looping. I was thinking of fixing the wheels to a revolving axle but after breaking the wing spars a second time, I gave up and scrapped it. However I would like to make another but only if I could be sure of avoiding the ground looping problem. What do you guys feel is the best solution?

-fix the wheels to a revolving axle (but is taxiing hopeless?)

-fit a gyro?

some other method that is less obtrusive?

The problem seemed to be that on take off the rudder was blanketed by one of the wings, but then suddenly it became over effective and finished up in a ground loop. In the air though it was different and magic, turning using rudder and keeping the wing up using opposite aileron it would turn on a sixpence just like the full size.

Simon Knight07/11/2019 22:18:09
215 forum posts
404 photos

I12fly, I have fixed my axle and let the wheels rotate independently. What I have done however is tightened them on as tight as I can without restricting their rotation. This seems to stop the wheel moving along the axle and creating a random toe out/toe in effect. On take off, I raise the throttle slowly until the tail lifts and then apply rudder, usually right and as soon as she is off the ground, she seems to fly her self nicely. I try not to have any form of cross wind though as the 3 wings do catch it quite well which can add to the excitement. I wonder if the short fuselage creates the challenge too, because neither of my DV11 seem to suffer anywhere near as much twist in take off.

Simon Knight07/11/2019 22:18:11
215 forum posts
404 photos

I12fly, I have fixed my axle and let the wheels rotate independently. What I have done however is tightened them on as tight as I can without restricting their rotation. This seems to stop the wheel moving along the axle and creating a random toe out/toe in effect. On take off, I raise the throttle slowly until the tail lifts and then apply rudder, usually right and as soon as she is off the ground, she seems to fly her self nicely. I try not to have any form of cross wind though as the 3 wings do catch it quite well which can add to the excitement. I wonder if the short fuselage creates the challenge too, because neither of my DV11 seem to suffer anywhere near as much twist in take off.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us