cymaz28/07/2018 05:37:28
8817 forum posts
1195 photos

Here

Edited By cymaz on 28/07/2018 05:44:29

simon barr28/07/2018 07:42:23
1035 forum posts
16 photos

That is brilliant... I know of a certain grand-son who would love that.

laugh

trebor28/07/2018 07:58:25
1907 forum posts
214 photos

I hope the prop is soft and bendy laugh

Cuban828/07/2018 09:08:50
2810 forum posts
1 photos

Very nice...........but I often wonder whether expensive toys like this are bought more for the gratification of the parents, rather than for the benefit of the children. Would that young man be just as amused by knocking together a go-cart from a length of scrap wood and some old pram wheels?

Josip Vrandecic -Mes28/07/2018 10:07:11
2993 forum posts
260 photos

Bravo!......go ahead.

Former Member28/07/2018 10:38:39
724 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Bob Cotsford28/07/2018 11:08:37
8067 forum posts
444 photos
Posted by Cuban8 on 28/07/2018 09:08:50:

Very nice...........but I often wonder whether expensive toys like this are bought more for the gratification of the parents, rather than for the benefit of the children. Would that young man be just as amused by knocking together a go-cart from a length of scrap wood and some old pram wheels?

If you read the Youtube comments it was home-made, not bought. There you go, a way to extend your model building and spoil the grandkids into the bargain! "No dear, I'm not building MYSELF another toy aeroplane, it's for OUR grandchildren".. Pile on the guilt, buy yourself some easy day-out pointslaugh

dave parnham28/07/2018 11:26:56
168 forum posts
11 photos

smiley I would build one for myself and use it on the cycle tracks for work !!

Cuban828/07/2018 12:04:58
2810 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 28/07/2018 11:08:37:

If you read the Youtube comments it was home-made, not bought. There you go, a way to extend your model building and spoil the grandkids into the bargain! "No dear, I'm not building MYSELF another toy aeroplane, it's for OUR grandchildren".. Pile on the guilt, buy yourself some easy day-out pointslaugh

Same difference - maybe the many hours spent building the toy could have been better spent over the local field with a simple chuckie and teaching the lad the principles of flight and trimming. Not criticism intended, it's a good piece of modelling in toy form. Fancy a Corsair ? **LINK**

Geoff Sleath28/07/2018 13:41:19
3496 forum posts
319 photos

My father made both my pedal cars from wood and pram wheels but it was during the war when there was nothing else available. When I was a little older pram wheels were used to make my wagon which was raced down the hills on the local Council estate which was new and so had the smoothest roads - and no cars!

So that home made pedal plane won't necessarily stop the young lad going on to make things himself.

Geoff

dave parnham28/07/2018 14:13:54
168 forum posts
11 photos

The plans for the Mustang and a Pitts are $20 each on the EAA website under shop/kids tab.

Don't seem to want to ship to the UK though.

Mike T28/07/2018 14:47:36
422 forum posts
28 photos

The biggest problem these days is getting hold of old pram wheels and axles. They just don't make 'em any more. Was a time you could retrieve a set from any local pond...

Edited By Mike T on 28/07/2018 14:47:53

Tom Sharp 228/07/2018 15:10:01
3575 forum posts
19 photos

We lived on a small farm when I was young and I remember my mother wrecked what had been my pram carting hen food round the farm to feed the chickens.

PatMc28/07/2018 15:15:38
4233 forum posts
523 photos

Am I the only one that thinks that the kid in the video isn't realy interested ?
He looks like he's only doing what he's been told & would rather be playing with, or doing something else.

IMO to get him interested in aeroplanes his dad would have been better buying him a foamy chuck glider, some paint & a few stickers of the kid's choice (probably some TV cartoon characters). Then letting the lad decorate the model before taking him out to chuck it around at a local playing field.

In a nutshell that would be getting a young one involved.

Tom Sharp 228/07/2018 15:30:03
3575 forum posts
19 photos

The reason the kid in the video looks bored is because he knows that the plane can't fly, so being among planes that can fly he knows that it's a pointless exercise.

Tom Sharp 228/07/2018 19:30:37
3575 forum posts
19 photos

I saw a video somewhere on the net with a long line of these models all different.

Facebook, BMFA unofficial group. 

Edited By Tom Sharp 2 on 28/07/2018 19:57:46

Richard. W.21/12/2018 22:07:03
65 forum posts

Sorry if my story here is going to bore you all but having just looked at the thread and video, I can't help but relate it.

Like many of us I suspect, I started building 1/72 Airfix planes as a young boy in the late 60's. Where my interest in historic aircraft came from is completely unknown as except for my late father's National Service, not a single family member has ever worked with or around them, nor made model aircraft.

Dad did try by making me one of those K.K. rubber powered Spitfire kits and thought he'd show me how to fly it around the back garden... Of course that didn't work so it hardly encouraged me and he'd not realised that I'd have been more interested if he'd let me help or at least watch him build it, rather than just see it finished before he wound it up and threw it into the air with predictable results. Of course, he knew nothing about trimming, CG, etc.

What really got me going was watching the father of one of my schoolmates, building in his mancave. The smell of balsa and dope. Being allowed to examine the models and ask questions.... Then, one day he gave me the K.K Senator kit and told me to go and build it. If I got stuck I could ask him and when it was done he'd show me how to fly it... He was a member of the Leeds club and they used to fly at Elvington.

It was all free flight and after the Senator I built and flew open rubber and A2 glider as a junior but it was the diesel powered scale and sport models that really drew my attention and more or less all I built until I saw the benefits of r/c about ten years ago.

The point being that however or whatever brings someone into the hobby doesn't matter. If there's any interest at all it will develop in it's own way... As a child I was introduced to model railways and model boats much more than aircraft but never had an interest in either. It was always aircraft and the history of flight that had me hooked.

John Robertson 321/12/2018 23:52:44
179 forum posts
5 photos

"Sorry if my story here is going to bore you all . . .". Not in the least!

ken anderson.22/12/2018 09:28:25
8481 forum posts
773 photos

hello Richard,nice post there .....good to read.....

ken anderson...ne...1...good reading dept.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us