Forum sponsored by CML

The Big Guff.

My Winter Build.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Davis06/05/2020 09:11:23
3759 forum posts
718 photos

I have experienced three steps forward two steps back in the Big Guff build.

I initially installed a switch with a remote push off-pull on button on the end of a rod through the fuselage but then thought better of it. It was only a cheap switch with three sets of cables coming out of it, one for the rx battery, one for the receiver itself and the third as a charging lead. You know the type. I was concerned about what might happen if the switch were to fail. I had several new switches of of a superior quality so I removed the cheap one and fitted a better one. However, the switch wouldn't fit where the old one was installed so I fitted it inside the fuselage on one of the rails which used to support the Good brothers' receiver.

However, to switch on the receiver I now have to open the door! I was not happy with the existing door so I built a new one, reinforcing the joints with carbon fibre rod. The new door is a much better fit though it's still not perfect, woodwork never having been my strong suit. That said every model I've ever built has flown, some better than others I'll admit. The door still needs sanding, doping, painting and glazing.

I have connected up the rudder and elevator servos to their closed loop cables and pushrod respectively and I've fitted one of those new Spektrum AR410 receivers, the type with the internal antenna. Everything works.

I now just have to finish preparing the wings for covering and wait for the restrictions to be lifted so that my friend can come round with his welder to make up the undercarriage.

door (1).jpg

door (2).jpg

receiver and switch.jpg

reciever and servos.jpg

paul d06/05/2020 10:01:06
184 forum posts
12 photos

looking fantastic David! I like the idea of the door.

Those AR410 rx's are marvellous, got one in my Gamine and intend to fit another in my latest project ( keil Kraft Bantam).

David Davis06/05/2020 10:54:48
3759 forum posts
718 photos

Thank you for your kind remarks Paul. The door was essential in 1938 because the receiver had to be tuned to the transmitter before every flight. I was going to omit it but in the end went with the original construction.

big guff fuselage (3).jpg

Do you know what Gamine means in French?

Edited By David Davis on 06/05/2020 10:57:02

Ace06/05/2020 11:10:35
322 forum posts
23 photos

Do you know what Gamine means in French?

Edited By David Davis on 06/05/2020 10:57:02

Interesting wink

paul d06/05/2020 11:15:59
184 forum posts
12 photos

Does it Ace? interesting, my Gamine is the last model designed by Vic Smeed, flys a treat on rudder only.

20200120_150543.jpg

Ace06/05/2020 11:35:03
322 forum posts
23 photos

Nice model Paul thumbs up

Lockdown, few beers and with a squint - must get out more.

David Davis06/05/2020 13:04:34
3759 forum posts
718 photos

No Ace, Gamine doesn't mean "interesting" in French, that's intéresant! laugh

Gamine means a Lass in French. The male equivalent would be Gamin.

Ace06/05/2020 22:40:16
322 forum posts
23 photos

David, "Interesting" - in what I understand Gamine's meaning was in French. "A slim elegant woman who is, or perceived to be mischievous, teasing or sexually appealing". Wonder if Vic knew?

David Davis09/05/2020 15:11:03
3759 forum posts
718 photos
Posted by Ace on 06/05/2020 22:40:16:

David, "Interesting" - in what I understand Gamine's meaning was in French. "A slim elegant woman who is, or perceived to be mischievous, teasing or sexually appealing". Wonder if Vic knew?

Actually "gamine," also means a young woman with short hair, Perhaps a French "Tomboy!"

To return to the Big Guff, I just need to get my tame welder to make up an undercarriage and we're good to go! One metre long ruler lends scale to the model. It's not too bad if you don't look too closely!

God knows how that line got in there.

posing on the back lawn again.jpg

posing on the back lawn (5).jpg

posing on the back lawn (3).jpg

posing on the back lawn (2).jpg

Edited By David Davis on 09/05/2020 15:14:12

paul d10/05/2020 09:06:52
184 forum posts
12 photos

looks wonderfull David! maybe a little decoration on the wing needed?

David Davis10/05/2020 10:13:45
3759 forum posts
718 photos

Thanks for the kind remarks Paul! I was thinking of putting some vinyl lettering on the fin. I'm no good with painted decoration. blush

I haven't made up my mind about fuel-proofing the Solartex yet. I know it's fuel proof but it soon starts to look grubby.

Edited By David Davis on 10/05/2020 10:16:20

paul d10/05/2020 10:46:47
184 forum posts
12 photos

To my mind vintage types look better once they have a bit of fuel/exhaust staining.

It really needs it's name,designer and year on the wing, always a good conversation starter at the field.

David Davis10/05/2020 10:53:40
3759 forum posts
718 photos

On one side of the fin I am going to have:

"Dr Walt Good's Big Guff

National Radio Control

Championship Winner

1938-1947"

On the other, the same thing in French!

Plus two little American flags.

paul d10/05/2020 11:07:20
184 forum posts
12 photos

Superb! can't wait to see it fly..

David Davis02/06/2020 06:44:19
3759 forum posts
718 photos

Quick update on the Big Guff's progress.

The undercarriage was welded up, painted and the wheels attached but when I pushed the model across the workshop floor the wire broke. Obviously the heat of the welding process was too much for the wire and had weakened it considerably. A blessing in disguise really because the first undercarriage was too tall. I had used Walt Good's original measurements and that was for the raked-forward undercarriage. I obviously had to shorten the undercarriage to get rid of the broken section so now it looks much more like the post-war version. Andy is coming round later and we plan to silver solder it.

I rigged the Big Guff last night in the workshop with the wheels just pushed on to the axles and I checked it for centre of gravity, not an easy task in a confined space! The model is too tall off the ground to enable the use of my centre of gravity rig so I used the fingers under the wing method and if anything the model is slightly nose heavy. Once the soldering has been done then it's only a question of painting and fuel proofing the undercarriage, running up the engine and waiting for a calm day before that maiden flight.

There's not much chance of that happening here for several days because we are in for a few thunderstorms.

The vinyl lettering referred to in my previous post has been ordered and I plan to collect it on Friday.

Edited By David Davis on 02/06/2020 06:45:27

Limobob02/06/2020 07:28:42
52 forum posts

Could you please post the supplier of your vinyl decals. I assume it is an establishment fairly close to your commune

David Davis02/06/2020 07:32:02
3759 forum posts
718 photos

It's the place that does photocopying in Gueret. I don't know the name.

Limobob02/06/2020 09:35:41
52 forum posts

Thanks for that iinfo. Do you supply artwork or are you able to choose your option in the store. Gueret is a bit far for me so will search more locally. I wasn’t aware copy type shops provide this service over here. I have used a well known UK outlet on several occasions but as usual the postage to France is pretty horrendous. Would you believe i ordered 2 pushrods from a UK source and was charged £16.50 postage. I queried this amount at time of order and asked if they could be rolled up in a jiffy bag. This they did, but still charged the original amount....i was pretty miffed because one was kinked quite badly

Bob Cotsford02/06/2020 09:58:17
8592 forum posts
483 photos

Why not bind and soft solder the U/C David? Even silver solder will risk losing the temper in the wire. As for welding, I've seen commercial welded wire u/c but I think they were resistance welded, not gas flame or TIG!

David Davis02/06/2020 10:16:27
3759 forum posts
718 photos
Posted by Limobob on 02/06/2020 09:35:41:

Thanks for that iinfo. Do you supply artwork or are you able to choose your option in the store. Gueret is a bit far for me so will search more locally. I wasn’t aware copy type shops provide this service over here. I have used a well known UK outlet on several occasions but as usual the postage to France is pretty horrendous. Would you believe i ordered 2 pushrods from a UK source and was charged £16.50 postage. I queried this amount at time of order and asked if they could be rolled up in a jiffy bag. This they did, but still charged the original amount....i was pretty miffed because one was kinked quite badly

I went into the store and explained what I wanted. I took in two pieces of paper with the text prinited on them, one in English, the other in French. I said I wanted the text reproduced in white with adhesive on the back of the letters the same size as the examples I'd produced. I stressed that the size was important, too big and it wouldn't fit onto the fin. The lady behind the counter asked what font I wanted, I said that it wasn't important but I could have selected a particular font if I'd wanted to.

This store is also useful for having plans copied. I downloaded a plan of a vintage model, the Guidato, to a memory stick and got them to print the plan. As the plan only showed one wing-half I got them to print a mirror image too so that I could work on both wings at the same time. I've also downloaded a small plan of the Martinsyde Elephant, a WW1 bomber. One of these days I'll get them to enlarge it.

The shop does a lot of business printing vinyl signs for vans and shop windows.

Where are you located Bob? There must be a similar enterprise in the bigger towns close to where you live.

BTW I know what you mean about ordering stuff from England. Last week I wanted to buy a glowstick, a receiver and a servo. I tried four French suppliers and each one of them only had two out of the three items I wanted so I ordered them from Steve Webb. They arrived very quickly but it cost me £17 postage.

My choice to live here of course.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!