Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Strange event

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
fly boy304/08/2018 22:25:47
3454 forum posts
18 photos

Hi all, afellow club member was checking out correct control movements on model prior to takeoff. Suddenly he had no movement what so ever. He looked down at his Tx and found all his readings had disappeared, as he continued to fiddle with the sticks everything re appeared and control surfaces were moving again. All his volts were well as expected as every thing was fully charged the night previous. A stab in the dark, I can remember many years ago reading on this forum of modellers having the memory wiped from their transmitters after spending time in the hot sun in the back of thier cars. My friend s Tx had been in the hot sun for some time before the event. Fact or fiction ? Cheers

Tom Sharp 204/08/2018 22:31:58
3313 forum posts
17 photos

Years ago transmitters left in the sun would drift off frequency, or so it was said.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator04/08/2018 22:33:41
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Well, its possible yes, but frankly I'd have that Tx professionally checked out. If that happened in the air it could spell disaster.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 04/08/2018 22:34:01

fly boy304/08/2018 22:47:07
3454 forum posts
18 photos

Thanks both. Should have also said that there was no way he was going to fly using that particular Tx. Will pass on BEB,s suggestion. Thanks

Peter Miller05/08/2018 08:01:52
9741 forum posts
1152 photos
10 articles

My new Hitec Aurora 9 did just that on the first roasting hot day. A totally dead screen etc which came back to life after I got home and the Tx had cooled down

I sent it back and Perkins changed the mother board.

Got it back and it did the same thing again. I sent it back again and suggested that they leave it in the hot sun to make sure that they had cured the problem

This time they changed the screen (Or it may have been the other waay round.)

Never had any trouble since

Trevor05/08/2018 08:05:58
343 forum posts
51 photos

Sounds like it could be a dodgy battery connection or on/off switch perhaps?

Peter Christy05/08/2018 09:40:57
1261 forum posts

LCD screens are heat sensitive (think of LCD thermometers!), so they may well do funny things in extreme temperatures. Also most consumer electronics semiconductors are only guaranteed up to around 50 degrees, a temperature that could easily be exceeded inside a black tranny case left in the sun.

My advice would be that if its too hot to touch when you pick it up at first, don't fly with it! It will probably be fine once its cooled down!

The same thing can happen to receivers inside fuselages, especially if its painted black on the top!

None of this is anything new. There is a story that the very first commercially available proportional radio (Space Control) back in the early 60s, lost the USA Nationals because the model was left in the sun. See the section on Zel Ritchie here:

**LINK**

Although only rated to 50 degrees or so, most components will continue to work fine, but as with anything mass produced, when you go outside the tolerance range, you're on your own! And it has been exceptionally hot of late, in case anyone hadn't noticed! wink

--

Pete

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Revoc
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us