Fuel leak

help!!?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Diamond Geezer23/09/2008 20:16:00
334 forum posts
8 photos

Hi Guys

Me again got a thunder tigre 42 seems to be leaking fuel between the head and the barrel got it apart should there be a gasket, only there's nothing there, if not what can i seal it with

Eric Bray24/09/2008 09:34:00
6600 forum posts
2 photos

I don't know that particular engine, but most do have a gasket, usually a very thin metal foil that is bonded (by heat and use) to the barrell.

Make sure, when you put the head back on, that it is the right way round, or you might find that the piston top, and the head bottom, have an intimate discussion!

Do not brutalize the head-bolts, either. they need to be tight, but not screaming! Tighten them up in opposites, a bit at a time, to ensure the head is flat, and not warped.

Terry Whiting25/09/2008 07:18:00
387 forum posts

If you have an actual FUEL leak with all the head bolts tight, I would say you have a head warp. 

Most of our moden day engines do not require a gasket, as the finish acquired by CNC machinery made gaskets obsolete. Just  make sure both surfaces are absolutely clean, only use a cloth.(never use any form of abrasive material)   Relocate the head and  lightly nip down all bolts, then slowly  tighten each bolt opposite each other in turn until all are fully tight.

NEVER tighten down one bolt fully then the next and so on, as you could possibly distort the head.

Diamond Geezer25/09/2008 17:59:00
334 forum posts
8 photos
thx for the help chaps

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us