Forum sponsored by CML

Prop size

not sure?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Matthew Jones23/09/2008 21:13:00
53 forum posts
3 photos
Hi, can anyone help need to know the best prop size for a Seagull 25 with a 25 size motor currently useing a 9x6 gonna try a 10x5..... has any one got any idea's on the perfect prop to give me the best performance cheers Matt.
Mark Lubbock24/09/2008 09:00:00
313 forum posts
13 photos
I always used a 10x4 or 10x6 on my old .30 size trainers, so you are not far out with what you are using-the larger/less pitch prop is probably best for a relatively slow model-it will give better acceleration on take off.
Eric Bray24/09/2008 10:07:00
6600 forum posts
2 photos

Thinbk of the prop as a gearbox - a larger diameter small pitch prop is first gear, and a smaller dia, larger pitch prop is top.

Try to start off in top, and you get very poor acceleration, and the engine struggles to keep going, but conversely, you cannot go very fast in first, but is good for getting going!

Full-size aircraft have a variable pitch prop, nowadays, for this very reason.

You have to decide, do you want good acceleration, or high speed?

Or, of course, a compromise, which is what your  9 x 6 is.

Try a 9 x 8, and a 10 x 4, and see if they make any significant difference.

Matthew Jones24/09/2008 17:56:00
53 forum posts
3 photos
many thanks guy's for the info, bought a  few different prop sizes today and i'm gonna try them out at the weekend as long as the rain keeps off........................................
Matthew Jones24/09/2008 18:11:00
53 forum posts
3 photos
Hello again......which make of prop would you say is best have been using air screw which is a kind of standard glass strand prop but have been told to try APC prop's so i tried a 9x6 APC but thought the thrust was a bit pants compaired to my standard 9x6 so i've got larger props to try in APC and standard with different pitches, about 6 in total........i will get there in the end me thinks......lol....any comments would be great.....cheers Matt.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us