By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Hobbyking BFG 1600

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Shaun Walsh10/08/2018 16:16:30
61 forum posts

I have a BFG 1600 which I normally fly using the front electric motor, however it was supplied with a plywood hook that fits into the bottom of the fuselage. I was thinking of having a go at bungee launching it (I haven't flown off a bungee since 1977), however the hook looks a bit far forward of the CoG for a good launch.

Has anyone tried this with a BFG 1600? Alternatively how far forward can the hook be and still get a decent launch?

John Robertson 310/08/2018 21:54:44
139 forum posts
1 photos

In the book compiled and edited by Dave Hughes, "Radio Control Soaring", published 1974, it is suggested that the optimum hook position can be determined by taking a line forward 30 degrees from the CG and placing the hook there, on the underside.

In practice it would be difficult to determine the actual CG position, as that would probably be lower than the wing's lower surface (assuming a high wing aircraft) and inside the fuselage, but using the fuselage-side position this would get you pretty close to the mark. It's suggested that if the model weaves and less height is gained then the hook is too far forward and if the model is unstable the hook is too far back.

I used to fly off bungees in the 1980s and used this suggested method of hook-placement and never had any problems. I still have that bungee (home-made reel and all) and this has made me think I might well try a launch or two for old times sake! What could go wrong?

Shaun Walsh11/08/2018 06:55:50
61 forum posts

Thanks John

This may be a silly question but is that 30 degrees from the horizontal or vertical?

John Robertson 311/08/2018 17:40:23
139 forum posts
1 photos

No - NOT silly. Assumptions are the mothers-of-all- ************* etc!

It's 30 degrees from the vertical, 60 degrees from the horizontal. The hooking point should be somewhere between the CG and the nose.

Shaun Walsh22/08/2018 14:56:38
61 forum posts

Well I have attached the supplied hook in the position it was designed for (glues onto an internal ply plate) and I would say it's more like 45 degrees from the vertical.

30 degrees from the vertical takes you into the landing wheel well.

Just have to try it and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools 14 July
Slec
CML
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us