Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Dual Ailerons

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil6713/08/2018 17:04:43
196 forum posts
3 photos

Trying to set up a wot 4 with dual ailerons on a spectrum DX6 radio with 6 channel receiver. How do I set up ailerons so they work independently, if I use a y lead they obviously both go in the same way and there appears to be no way to reverse one servo. I am sure this can't be difficult but still new to dual ailerons. I have power in bind socket, rudder, throttle and elevator as normal and a battery checker in gear. Left with aux 1 and one aileron socket.

Dave Hopkin13/08/2018 17:13:55
3672 forum posts
294 photos

By the position of the servos - have the servos facing in opposite directions

Left hand wing with the output arm facing the tip and the right hand wing one also facing the tip

Use the Y lead and they will work as an opposed pair

PatMc13/08/2018 17:15:12
4297 forum posts
524 photos

You can use a Y lead. The servos need to operate the same way as the connection to the horn will be from opposite sides of the servos.

Steven Shaw13/08/2018 17:19:51
344 forum posts
187 photos

You should try your Y lead to realy see what happens. I use a Dx6 and all my planes have the ailerons on Y leads and work properly.

Nigel R13/08/2018 17:21:42
3407 forum posts
524 photos

Aileron channel is left servo, aux 1 is right servo (I think), set wing mix to dual aileron.

Install servos as a mirror image, everything will be right as rain then.

Either servos upright, with both horns going towards the tip, at neutral.

Or laying flat, with both output horns outwards, and with the horns both at front, or both at back.

Check on how your servo reversing is set up - I cannot recall if you have to reverse both channels at the same time, or if you just reverse the aileron channel.

I've set up a few on the DX6 and don't recall any specific oddities about it.

Neil6713/08/2018 17:25:04
196 forum posts
3 photos

Thanks guys, clearly a senior moment on my part, too obvious for words, feeling a bit thick right now!

Duh!

Cuban813/08/2018 17:25:55
2837 forum posts
1 photos

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but on my six channel models I simply select the appropriate wing type during setup and that's that. RH aileron to aileron port and LH aileron to Aux 1.

Fatscoleymo13/08/2018 19:25:44
249 forum posts
86 photos

Never managed to fly anything with a single aileron.... tends to be a bit wobbly....wink

Did you mean dual servos....

Fats

MattyB13/08/2018 19:57:37
2002 forum posts
31 photos

Never ceases to amaze me how many people stick doggedly with y-leads despite almost every Tx now being able to handle dual aileron servos. Obviously it’s still important to set up the linkage geometry correctly, but the advantages of being able to tweak the centres, diff and throws independently (not to mention flapperons, snap flap and spoilerons where appropriate) are huge. Spend the time to learn how to set them up, it’s well worth doing and removes additional physical failure points too (I’ve seen many nasty, cheap y-leads and extensions cause crashes over the years).

Edited By MattyB on 13/08/2018 19:59:20

Nigel R14/08/2018 08:37:29
3407 forum posts
524 photos

I have a couple of AR400s that couldn't do dual servo wing without a Y lead. Or maybe you have a warbird with gear and flaps to drive somehow - that won't work on a DX6 with dual aileron servos any other way.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CADMA
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us