Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Great Service - But!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil6715/08/2018 11:26:04
196 forum posts
3 photos

Placed an order with Hobbyking on Monday morning at 09:00 hrs. Arrived Tuesday morning 11:00 hrs. Ok it was only a roll of covering but I placed an order for prop driver at the same time from another supplier - still waiting.

Great service but maybe Hobbyking could improve on their rather over the top packaging - approach seems very similar to Amazon. Clearly shares in a bubble wrap company could be a good investment.

hobby.jpg

Bob Cotsford15/08/2018 11:39:00
8152 forum posts
449 photos

Standardised postage provisions, standardised packaging - it's all aimed at reducing p&p costs (including labour for picking and packing) overall for the business as a whole which benefits the 'average' customer whoever that may be. I've had just as bad from small model shops too. Hardly ecological with all that plastic left floating around. The small bubble stuff makes a good protective mat for the model assembly workbench but you can only re-use so much of it.

Former Member15/08/2018 11:42:53
724 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Neil6715/08/2018 11:48:33
196 forum posts
3 photos

Surely you are not defending such waste?

SR 7115/08/2018 11:53:49
342 forum posts
90 photos

What would you,be saying if it was damaged, I dread to think

john stones 115/08/2018 12:02:53
10869 forum posts
1490 photos

It's a current news story, so fair do's, choice is yours, do something about your buying habits if unhappy.

Martin Harris15/08/2018 12:04:08
9107 forum posts
225 photos

20171116_113324.jpgTBH I'm not that shocked as it doesn't seem particularly excessive - most of it is just air and the box is fairly well proportioned for the contents.

I was shocked when I ordered a few small glass fuses from RS Components with free next day postage and a large cardboard box full of packaged air arrived with 3 small packets of fuses, each in its own paper bag, hiding in the depths...

Edited By Martin Harris on 15/08/2018 12:09:45

Neil6715/08/2018 12:31:31
196 forum posts
3 photos

What would I say, well.

It's not exactly rocket science to pack something simply and well at a reasonable cost. But when this example is multiplied a millions times over and adds to the pollution of the planet beyond recovery what will you say - ah but it was cheap?

I order a lot of things which are delivered by white van (not by choice) and despite it keeping drivers in a job, many express astonishment at the amount of packaging, in this instance the driver couldn't actually tell if there was anything in the package. On a positive side he doesn't use much fuel as he carries so much fresh air

I respect your view but can't agree.

iqon15/08/2018 12:35:42
1470 forum posts
239 photos

Was it not in a cardboard tube as well.!!! I`m gutted

Former Member15/08/2018 12:46:42
3578 forum posts

The Wright Stuff15/08/2018 13:05:47
1381 forum posts
226 photos

The current media attitude towards plastic is totally overstated, scientifically speaking.

I'm not saying it's a myth, but the amount of plastic in plastic bags, bubble wrap, and packaging materials, is actually very low. It uses negligible natural resources [compared to other uses for oil], and does very little harm when it ends up in landfill.

[I accept that it is much less harmless in the sea or dumped on the roadside, but educating people to dispose of it correctly is a slightly different topic].

The environmental cost of moving it around is totally dominant, and hence packaging something sufficiently to ensure that it only has to do the journey once could be seen as a 'net win'...

Former Member15/08/2018 13:42:50
1322 forum posts

Dave Hess15/08/2018 13:58:05
303 forum posts
18 photos

There's nothing worse than when you order something really delicate and you open the box to find that the item is wrapped in bubble-wrap and sellotaped all over so that you can't get at the item without breaking it unless you do delicate surgery with a scalpel.

To anybody that's involved with packing items: You don't need to sellotape bubble-wrap. The box/bag will hold it in place!

Nigel R15/08/2018 14:05:27
3407 forum posts
524 photos

"It's not exactly rocket science to pack something simply and well at a reasonable cost."

I'd contend that that is exactly what Hobbyking have done. It is simply packed, at the lowest cost they can manage.

I can't see that much waste. The bubble wrap is minimal. The airbag box fillers are not using much plastic. Big cardboard box yes, but, biodegradable etc etc blah blah.

Ultimately, if their packing and post was expensive or inefficient, they would lose their 'lowest cost box shifter' position, as you would go elsewhere. Outfits like HK are generally very, very good at logistics. If they are not, they fail.

Nigel R15/08/2018 14:11:57
3407 forum posts
524 photos

"current media attitude towards plastic is totally overstated, scientifically speaking."

on balance it may not be a bad thing for the press & public to be concerned about wasting stuff and environmental issues, etc.

The Wright Stuff15/08/2018 15:04:36
1381 forum posts
226 photos
Posted by Nigel R on 15/08/2018 14:11:57:

"current media attitude towards plastic is totally overstated, scientifically speaking."

on balance it may not be a bad thing for the press & public to be concerned about wasting stuff and environmental issues, etc.

Yes, that's a very valid point, and one that applies to all sorts of big current issues, climate change, population growth, etc. Does the end justify the means?

I have to contend with this type of dilemma on a daily basis in my day job. Do I spin results in a direction that reinforces the desired decision, or present results at face value in the hope or expectation that they will be correctly interpreted. As a scientist, I tend to do the latter.

Rich too15/08/2018 15:29:13
3057 forum posts
1070 photos

That type of packaging is common and not at all unique to HK - doesn’t make it right though.

As for the plastic myths and it not being that bad as landfill, how long does the stuff take to breakdown and decompose?

If governments and caompaigners feel so strongly about the problem of plastics, BAN the STUFF. Why are we still using plastic bags when paper is perfectly fine.

The Wright Stuff15/08/2018 15:40:11
1381 forum posts
226 photos

Posted by Rich too on 15/08/2018 15:29:13:

Why are we still using plastic bags when paper is perfectly fine.

There is certainly a move in that direction where possible, and I for one always reuse and avoid waste where I can. The answer to your question, though, is that paper is not always perfectly fine. Food waste, for example, would be massively increased if we banned plastics altogether...

Rich too15/08/2018 15:47:51
3057 forum posts
1070 photos

Yes, I’m aware of that, but like global warming and similar issues, there will be inconveniences, but given the scale of the problems we are facing, they are irrelevant. Other solutions will need to be found.

Rich too15/08/2018 15:49:45
3057 forum posts
1070 photos

This is why I find it hard to take these issues seriously - because big steps are never taken. Probably because it would be political suicide.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us