AS3X or otherwise

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Simon Chaddock23/08/2018 14:43:08
5321 forum posts
2786 photos

Brian

Sorry for the delay in reply. but direct from Lemon

There is of course postage to add but delivery is quick. A satellite radio is probably a good idea if it is to be used in a 'valuable' plane but so far I have had no trouble with the basic unit up to as far away as I want to see the plane!

Rich too26/08/2018 08:23:31
2876 forum posts
1046 photos
Posted by Jason Inskip on 23/08/2018 14:05:59:

Mmm, I always thought these were cheating! However, I reported a problem that I have in another thread, landing on the slope that is my flying sight. It is very difficult to land smoothly and I often break the u/c.

Presumably, this would help my landings on the slope? Also, being on a slope, I can get a lot of turbulence, etc, would this help minimise the effects when landing?

This may be the answer....yes

Edited By Rich too on 23/08/2018 12:46:24

I flew a 1.6m plane equipped with a guardian off the slope a few weeks ago (my first time sloping). Wind speed on the slope was 45mph. Did it help? Absolutely!

Also, my normal flying site is often windy, and always turbulent - the guardian is excellent at ironing all this out.

That’s good to know. I’ve now ordered one and looking forward to trying it....

Don Fry26/08/2018 14:36:09
3300 forum posts
39 photos

Anyone know if the Eagletree Guardian unit supports 2 channels for ailerons, or does it just support single channel Y lead setups?

Jason Inskip26/08/2018 15:04:10
43 forum posts
27 photos
Posted by Don Fry on 26/08/2018 14:36:09:

Anyone know if the Eagletree Guardian unit supports 2 channels for ailerons, or does it just support single channel Y lead setups?

Supports dual aileron. You can also program differential aileron/crow/flaperons in your radio too without effecting stabilisation.

cymaz26/08/2018 15:07:45
8302 forum posts
1146 photos

Use the Aux as second aileron servo...here

Don Fry26/08/2018 15:29:15
3300 forum posts
39 photos

Thank you gentlemen. I've been toying with the concept, but being very old school, ignorant of the technology, it's seemed a learning curve too far to be bothered about. But given the Eagletree unit has fans, good instructions, and known climbers of the leaning curve, I might just invest in one.

For lean, read learn

Edited By Don Fry on 26/08/2018 17:31:34

cymaz26/08/2018 15:31:11
8302 forum posts
1146 photos

The set up with a pc is great and there is always forums. There is a leading curve when flying with the ET on. It feels slower in 2D as you have to fly over the control of the stabiliser.

Edited By cymaz on 26/08/2018 15:32:56

Robin Mosedale 129/08/2018 11:51:10
33 forum posts

Arrived yesterday.

Pretty comprehensive and I'll not rush setting it up

Robin Mosedale 101/09/2018 12:45:54
33 forum posts

Well, set it up, test flight yesterday afternoon. Fascinating characteristics in each od Mode 2D and 3D. Rock solid approaches. Much more progressive experimentation to come.

Excellent investment, and thank to the advice on here

Robin Mosedale 106/09/2018 12:18:19
33 forum posts

Another test yesterday. Now trims reset and level attitude. 3D feels very odd, 2D very effective as soon as sticks centred, but even with gain up max, buffeting not really countered.

Test touch and go's: with 2D engaged, set up on heading for approach, and use throttle for height control. Seemed very effective. Repeated with unit disengaged, just as good. So not conclusive.

Not sure about this as yet, but persevere, as it's really a 'get out of trouble' for more tricky scale stuff rather than a simple trainer.

Denis Watkins06/09/2018 12:37:29
3493 forum posts
165 photos
Posted by Robin Mosedale 1 on 06/09/2018 12:18:19:

Another test yesterday. Now trims reset and level attitude. 3D feels very odd, 2D very effective as soon as sticks centred, but even with gain up max, buffeting not really countered.

Test touch and go's: with 2D engaged, set up on heading for approach, and use throttle for height control. Seemed very effective. Repeated with unit disengaged, just as good. So not conclusive.

Not sure about this as yet, but persevere, as it's really a 'get out of trouble' for more tricky scale stuff rather than a simple trainer.

You are right Robin

I had to fit and test different units to different models for a magazine article.

The least effective was fitted to foamie or a trainer, though they did kick in in the wind

The most effective use was in models with some enertia over 6lb AUW

And Warbirds were tamed somewhat at lower speeds, but still needed flying with respect.

All the stabilisers tested worked best at the lowest possible setting, where their surface movement was barely seen by eye

Robin Mosedale 107/09/2018 19:29:26
33 forum posts

Interesting, Denis.

Having tested approach in 2D, which is 'maintain straight and level', I'll attempt approach in 3D, "maintain attitude", with plenty sky under the wings.

Once familiarised with behaviour, I may put it into a Stuka, which has much more mass and inertia than my Multiplex Funman.

Denis Watkins07/09/2018 20:17:39
3493 forum posts
165 photos

Used properly, stabilisation is fine Robin, but don't forget that they will maintain straight and level

But they will not throttle up.

Maintain speed as normal, and any crosswind will be taken care of too

Robin Mosedale 108/09/2018 12:37:25
33 forum posts

"But they will not throttle up."

Yup,

Just as I do with full size, alt controlled with throttle

Posted by Denis Watkins on 07/09/2018 20:17:39:

Used properly, stabilisation is fine Robin, but don't forget that they will maintain straight and level

But they will not throttle up.

Maintain speed as normal, and any crosswind will be taken care of too

Robin Mosedale 121/10/2018 12:27:32
33 forum posts

Not very pleased.

Aircraft started to behave very oddly, not as before. Difficult to gain control as to what seemed to be resisting my commands, whatever mode, including manual mode.

Examination revealed that the multi-connector from the RX to the unit, had slipped. It's flimsy and doesn't secure very well.

Nearly lost control. If I bother to refit, this connector will be secured bound with tape

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Revoc
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Motion RC
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us