Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Binding V8R4-II

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Hess19/08/2018 20:08:58
200 forum posts
17 photos

I'm trying to bind a V8R4-II to my Taranis Q X7S. Every video guide says select D8 mode, which is not available in the EU software. Did I waste my money somewhere or is there something I can do?

If this rx doesn't work is there a similar one that will?

Geoff Sleath19/08/2018 21:02:12
2915 forum posts
242 photos

I can bind V type receivers to my Horus OK but I converted to OpenTX and there's a box you tick (or not tick, I can't remember) during the update which allows D8 mode. I guess the same applies to the Q7 so don't despair someone will be along in a while who's done it

Geoff

PatMc19/08/2018 21:50:03
3887 forum posts
489 photos

Dave, if you have OpenTX Companion you should be able to open access to D8 mode from there. All you need to do is open the Edit Settings box, de-select "eu" then write that to your Tx.

PS I have a Taranis X9D which runs OpenTx as standard, I'm pretty sure all other Taranis models also use OTX.

Edited By PatMc on 19/08/2018 21:54:23

Dave Hess19/08/2018 23:57:10
200 forum posts
17 photos

Sorry, this is all new to me. I must have spent 30 hours researching how these things work, but, haven't a clue what's going on. I bought the Frsky because someone said they're reliable, but I didn't realise that it would be so complicated.

I bought a Spektrum a couple of weeks ago, and it only took me about 30 minutes to read the manual, bind my receiver and program my plane. I would have been happy with it if they didn't have the daft double receivers that only give about 50 metres range. I've now spent hundreds and still don't have a working system. I guess I should have bought a Futaba because they're easy to understand and they work.

Any help that you can give me in the way of step-by-step guides would be much appreciated. As I said, I've already looked at loads of Youtube videos, but every one, just branches to more unknowns.

I've no idea what software is in my transmitter. It's whatever you get in a brand new one. I made an SD card and downloaded some latest firmware onto it, but I must've done it wrong because I get an error message when I switch on, "SD card warning: Expected version 2.2V0010" whatever that means. I haven't flashed anything yet. Something must have worked because I'm getting voices on it now.

I'm not thick. I can understand anything, but what I need is a complete guide that works from the beginning. Maybe there's someone down at the club that can walk me through what to do, but I haven't been down to the club because without a transmitter, i have no plane to fly.

Edited By Dave Hess on 19/08/2018 23:59:36

Ron Gray20/08/2018 07:36:49
1078 forum posts
282 photos

If you don’t want to change anything on your TX (by using Companion) then you will need a Rx that can work in D16 mode, The X4R will do that for you. At least that will get you flying. You can then use Companion, as mentioned in previous post, to alter your TX at your leisure.

Edited By Ron Gray on 20/08/2018 07:40:18

Paul C.20/08/2018 09:51:39
482 forum posts
112 photos

Hi Dave, not sure which spektrum receiver you have but sounds like one of the park fly ones with that sort of range. To get you flying again why not pick up a spektrum AR400 DSMX full range receiver they are about £25 I have two and have had not problems.

Paul.

Dave Hess20/08/2018 10:07:22
200 forum posts
17 photos

Could someone explain what "Companion" is, the implications of using it and where I get it from?

How do I know what software I already have? Does the transmitter read it from the SD card. Why do I get that message that I mentioned in post 4? I think I need to sort that out before making any changes.

Thanks gor your help, guys.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator20/08/2018 11:02:45
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

OK,let's slow down a bit! Your problem, basically is that FrSky receivers can work in many modes, two of which are so called D16 and D8. I'm not going to go into why, but let's just say that D8 is not the popular mode within Europe, we tend to favour D16. Your Tx is set to work on D16. It can be changed, as the guys have explained, but I'd say don't go there just yet - you're not ready and you don't have enough general background knowledge - yet.

Right, so piece of concrete advice number one:

1. If you just want to get going buy an X8R FrSky receiver from T9HobbySport. That will work off the shelf with what you have because it will be set to D16. It'll solve all your immediate problems for £28 or so. I know Denis recommended the X4R - that's basically the same thing but only has 4 servo inputs - the X8R has 8 inputs and only costs a couple of quid more. Both will work, but the X8R is better value in my view.

Now the next bit of advice

2. FrSky transmitters such as yours can run two different software systems: FROS, that's FrSky's own system, or OpenTx which is a shareware system. I my view OpenTx is the main reason I use FrSky - FrSky kit is good, reliable, low cost etc and I like it. But it's its ability to run OpenTx that really attracts me. OpenTx is immensely powerful, you can program pretty well anything you can conceive of. But its not simple, so this is something you need to research and learn about taking your time - definitely go fo it, when you're ready! In the meantime step 1 above will get you flying.

3. You asked what companion is and how you get it. Companion is in my view the best thing since sliced bread! It is a software application that runs on your PC and enables you to connect your Tx to your PC and program it from there. It only runs with OpenTx - so its something for the future for you as you learn. It is so easy to use - every programming tool on the Tx is laid out for you on tabs - dead easy to see, easy to navigate between. MOST (but not all) of what you can do in Companion you can do on the Tx itself - its just just a lot easier in my view. Eventually you will learn to do it both ways - on Companion and on the Tx.

OK, so there are some starters. You have chosen to buy possibly the most powerful and advanced RC system currently available - don't regret that, its the best you can get in my view, you will never outgrow this. Comparing it with a Spektrum is like comparing a Fiat 500 with a F1 racing car!

But with that power comes some complexity, you have to understand that. Its hard work learning this - there is a lot to learn, you mention 30 hours research, peanuts mate, I've been studying FrSky and OpenTx for going on 3 years, I'm still learning! But commensurate with the effort is the reward - that too is very large, the ability to do more or less anything you want with a model aeroplane, it's got to be worth it.

But see all that in the future and enjoy the journey of discovery - but for now just do step one and go out flying and have some fun with the kit - what its really about!

BEB

PatMc20/08/2018 11:28:06
3887 forum posts
489 photos

Just had time for a quick scan at BEB's advice, I agree it's probably the best way forward for David.

However a couple of points.
Aas BEB says the XR4 isn't good VFM compared with the XR8. But if space is tight in the model & you think it might be a better fit be careful do not get the XR4-SB version.

Other point, I don't think the Taranis QX7S can run on FROS. I'm happy to be corrected but I think all versions of Taranis Tx's are supplied & will only run on OpenTx OS.

Ron Gray20/08/2018 11:43:56
1078 forum posts
282 photos

The only reason I suggested (not Dennis) the X4R was because a 4 channel Rx is what the OP had originally gone for, of course I do agree that the X8R offers better value for money as does the X6R, really depends on what the OP requires.

The QX7S is supplied with Open TX, not FROS.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator20/08/2018 13:31:35
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Sorry Ron for mistaking you for Denis - oh and sorry Denis for mistaking you for Ron!

I didn't know the QX7S came with OpenTx, interesting. I assumed that like Horus it came with FROS. You see, still learning! I'm an X9D man myself!

But it doesn't change the basic advice Dave H - go for the X8R - it will get you up and running, and that will give to the incentive to learn mnore!

BEB

Dave Hess20/08/2018 17:30:42
200 forum posts
17 photos

Thanks for all that useful advice. I'm trying to install in a shock flier, which is why I chose that light-weight one. Does that mean that the XR4 is the best receiver for it?

How do I know which software version I have?

On Page 2 of the radio setup, it says SD-HC CARD then FW-S6R - 180328 and FW-X7-X7S-20180625

On page 5 it says FW: opentx-x7s, Vers:2.2.0 (63baa76c), Date: 2017-09-05 19:54:14, EEPR: 218.

Do I need to change or do anything? If so how?

Sorry to be a pain!

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator20/08/2018 20:13:44
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Right now you don't need to do anything except buy the X4R (go for that if its a shockie). Every else will start to fall into place once you are an active user!

BEB

Geoff Sleath20/08/2018 20:24:09
2915 forum posts
242 photos

BEB is right but you might like to download Companion anyway because it allows you to back up all your settings as well as making it easy to enable D8 mode. Don't discard your V8R4-II; they're very good receivers with more than enough range for line of sight flying.

Geoff

Mark J21/08/2018 23:47:42
9 forum posts

Dave. have a look at the painless360 channel on youtube,he's got a X7 an OPENTX and a TARANIS play list which you should find useful. Take it a bit at a time and once you have set up a couple of models you'll start to get your head round it and then realise why OPENTX user's think it such a great system. Stick with it.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Airtek Hobbies
Motion RC
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us