Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Which Radio Gear?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Roger Dyke20/08/2018 20:49:48
41 forum posts

Hi All,

I am just getting back into RC model aircraft building and flying after a lay-off in 2004. My radio gear is a Futaba 6 channel 35MHz FM. I know that I can still use this gear but would like to update to 2.4GHz.

What would be your suggestion as new Tx/Rx, bearing in mind that I am a casual occasional recreational flyer (no competition or fancy combinations). I am looking for relatively budget but fairly decent quality.

Any thoughts please?

Roger

Brian Hammond20/08/2018 20:57:51
220 forum posts

Hi Roger, I,m using a Spectrum DX6 which does all I need with the added bonus of speech reminders!

cymaz20/08/2018 20:59:25
7784 forum posts
1017 photos

A lot of people will say buy Tranis Tx. Others say Spektrum. Each pilot has a favourite. Have you thought about a club yet?

If you are comfortable using Futaba then there are several 2.4 6exa Tx for sale. A club of any worth should have a trainer you can use until you get kitted out again.

Richard Wills 220/08/2018 21:00:23
150 forum posts
7 photos

What model TX do you have now? You may be able to convert it to 2.4ghz with a plug in module, age, features and condition will dictate if it is worthwhile?

If you are going for new, and you want easy to operate/understand and decent quality, I would say a Spektrum DX6 DX7 or DX8, depending on the number of channels you need. That or one of the entry level Futaba systems.

Only consider the Taranis or open source systems if you have the time and inclination to devote to it.  Very powerful systems, but you need to really put the effort and lots (we are talking almost another hobby) of time into getting to grips with them.

Edited By Richard Wills 2 on 20/08/2018 21:03:23

Percy Verance20/08/2018 21:10:43
6837 forum posts
138 photos

The HiTec Flash 7 would also fit the requirements of the OP. The receivers have a slight cost adavantage over Spektrum units too.

There's also the Graupner Hott series of sets. These seem to have something of a *buzz* going on just now.

Stuart Z20/08/2018 21:36:48
311 forum posts

Hi

Personally, a fan of Futuba, never let me down! If your Futuba kit takes a plug in module you may be able to convert to 2.4 ghz with an FrSky module. No experience of it but if you radio can convert it might save cost.

S

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator20/08/2018 21:43:12
15607 forum posts
1444 photos

Despite the fact that I am dedicated OpenTx/Taranis user I wouldn't recommend it for you. If you don't like computing, programming etc. and you are only an occassional user you will never get to grips with it.

Try a look at least at a Spektrum 6e, simple to use very user friendly etc. Does most of the set up for you!

BEB

jeffrey cottrell20/08/2018 21:50:20
50 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Roger,just a thought.

I have a number of older style JR transmitters in use. A couple I have converted to 2.4 using a FrSky diy (hack) module:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/frsky-dht-8ch-diy-telemetry-compatible-transmitter-module.html

If your current transmitter is sound, and you are familiar with using it, no need to change.

If your current Tx has a removable module it is possible to replace that with a 2.4 one, as Richard suggests, but that means you have two aerials, which always looks cumbersome to me.

If you have basic soldering skills, wiring the module is easy. The most trouble you will have is finding somewhere to physically mount the internal module.

On the basis 'if I can do it, anybody can' might be worth considering.

Jeff

supertigrefan20/08/2018 21:52:01
276 forum posts
7 photos

Could I ask why you want to go to 2.4 gig?

Dave Hess20/08/2018 23:40:57
107 forum posts
14 photos

I was in the same position as OP. First I bought a used Spektrum DX7S and a couple of receivers. It was pretty easy to setup, but has no range to fly safely. I then bought a new Taranis QX7S and a Frsky receiver. That transmitter won't bind with the receiver. The Frsky system is extremely complicated. Instructions are very difficult to find, and anything you can find always misses vital facts/steps. If I could go back to your position, where I was a month ago, I'd buy a Futaba system. At least you know it's going to work.

My mate was also in the same position. He bought a cheapo Flysky system, which he was sure glitched to cause his plane to crash, so he bought a Frsky module for it, which works OK.

To summarise, If you just want to fly normal planes normally, and can afford it, get a Futaba system. If you like gadgets and experimentation, and you have a degree in computer science, get a Frsky. According to the poll, most forum members have Spektrum. Presumably, they're happy. Maybe I was just unlucky.

Edited By Dave Hess on 20/08/2018 23:42:42

Nigel R21/08/2018 06:23:20
1554 forum posts
336 photos
Genuine spektrum kit has no range issues dave.

No chance they would have the market share they do, if they did.

Ron Gray21/08/2018 07:09:36
988 forum posts
259 photos

Interesting comment. / statement from DaveH, ‘the Frsky system is extremely complicated’ I would argue that it is quite the opposite especially when using the wizard to setup basic models. Unfortunately Dave bought the wrong Rx to go with his Tx and that is where he has encountered problems. The main advantage of Frsky kit is that it can expand as your requirements expand and it is fairly bullet proof! Oh, almost forget, value for money second to none!

Just wanted to make sure that a balanced view was given for the kit.

Percy Verance21/08/2018 07:47:33
6837 forum posts
138 photos

In which case Ron, it may also be relevant to point out that some Spektrum users have experienced problems/issues with their gear, with the distributor often simply replacing seemingly problematic components with little or no explantation of why problems may have occurred in the first instance. There have also been a fair number of recalls to sort various issues. There were also some difficulties being experienced with the customer care after the UK sales facility was closed down. However, there does now appear to have been a U turn here, with a repair/service facility now re-instated in the UK.

Spektrum undoubtedly do have the majority share of the market, but their equipment appears to suffer from more issues than do other brands. But perhaps that's because there are more sets in use?

LIke you say Ron, a balanced view.........

Edited By Percy Verance on 21/08/2018 07:55:03

Ikura21/08/2018 08:03:22
186 forum posts

You never miss an opportunity to bash Spektrum Percy.

It really is very tiresome.

Percy Verance21/08/2018 08:05:25
6837 forum posts
138 photos

No *bashing* involved. They're simply known/proven facts.  The recalls have been published in the modelling press for all to see. The experiences of users after the UK Customer Service facility had been closed were presented on this very forum, along with other user experiences. Spektrum's share of the market has also been been shown on this forum as a result of polls. A new Spektrum service/repair facilty is now in place at Al's Hobbies. 

All facts, no bashing. So what's the problem? 

Edited By Percy Verance on 21/08/2018 08:29:50

Peter Miller21/08/2018 08:28:38
9293 forum posts
1086 photos
10 articles

WE have a majority of Spktrum in our club. Mine is one of the first in the country, never had a problem. Nor has anyone else with one exception.

The Spektrum DX8 apparently did have problems and the one in the club caused so problems but not of the others.

Just in passing, I still use my Futaba Field Force 8. Ir has exponential on the throttle as well which allows me to set up really linear throttle response.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator21/08/2018 08:34:50
15607 forum posts
1444 photos

Guys, we have been handling this type of thread very well lately, but this example seems to me to be slipping back into the old ways.

Remember, there is no perfect radio system.

1. Its not really on to issue instructions like "buy this" or "don't buy that" - it just aggravates people.

2. In my view, and I think that of many others, all modern radio systems are superb, They are full of features, very powerful and ultra reliable.

3. There are differences and I say "viva la differnce"! Because that allows folks to get stuff that suits their interests and their focus.

4. Its also not really on to make sweeping comments about a radio system based on 5 mkns acquantance!

So, can we stow the negative views and focus on the positive please, telling the OP what is good about your choice rather than what's wrong with everyone else's!

BEB

ken anderson.21/08/2018 08:39:59
8100 forum posts
729 photos

hello roger and welcome, if you were happy with your Futaba radio first time around I would suggest you buy their version of the 2.4 radio.....the entry level ones are reasonable prices. Check out the reviews section on the right hand side of the screen here...good unbiased info.....

ken anderson...ne...1..radio dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 21/08/2018 08:42:05

RC Plane Flyer21/08/2018 08:47:58
496 forum posts
16 photos

I used Futaba Field Force 6 for years untill a faulty stick and two planes down . I bought an Hitec Optic 6 on 35 meg and enjoyed it's reliability and use of most receivers I had with Futaba set up. Then when I started with electric planes I took the option to go 2.4 Optic 6. I recently bought an Hitec Flash 7 and have had reliable service again I seem to have more rx now than usual. Both Optics have since been sold for a fair price

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator21/08/2018 08:57:37
15607 forum posts
1444 photos

I've asked nicely - now more forcably! This is not the place for fight over radio systems. If you can't give the OP some informed positive advice then its best not to bother!

One post deleted so far - we'll close it if this carries on.

BEB

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
Motion RC
Expo Tools 14 July
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us