Forum sponsored by CML

Which Radio Gear?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Roger Dyke21/08/2018 18:27:05
57 forum posts
2 photos

Hi David,

I will definitely have a look at the Spektrum Tx's. They do seem to be very much in favour.

Regarding updating, please see my reply to Supertigrefan above.

Roger

Roger Dyke21/08/2018 18:35:32
57 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Cymaz,

Many thanks.

Roger

Edited By Roger Dyke on 21/08/2018 18:37:36

jeffrey cottrell21/08/2018 18:35:45
51 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Roger, same with mine.

What scares me is how long ago it was, and how much water under the bridge since.

I'm 66 now, and it must have been at least 35 years ago, round about the time you got yours. Only difference was mine was free flight, so launch and start running. Happy days.

I'm sure your head must be spinning by now, with all the radio options, but here's another one.

If your Challenger is still working ok, and you're happy with it, how about sticking in a FrSky diy module for 2.4.

£18 invested and you're in business.

More than one way to skin a cat (just don't tell the RSPCA)

Jeff

Roger Dyke21/08/2018 18:44:54
57 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Jeff,

I am absolutely blown away by all the very kind postings and having a job keeping up with my replies.

I'm 73 myself now so not looking to set the world on fire.

I've been trying to find out if there is a 2.4GHz conversion for the Futaba Challenger but can't find one. Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place. Any idea where I should look?

Roger

Paul Marsh21/08/2018 18:48:34
3389 forum posts
930 photos

I use most of the main brands, and not so main brand. Hitec, Spektrum, Futaba and Tactic.

The two radio I would probably recommend for a beginner would the Spektrum DX6 or the Futaba T6K, both under £200, but note they are "dry", meaning purchase of a battery pack and charger.

Maybe the Hitec Flash 7, bit more, but another option...

Paul Marsh21/08/2018 18:48:35
3389 forum posts
930 photos

The nationals are next weekend, why not go and look at some radio sets?

Edited By Paul Marsh on 21/08/2018 18:52:40

supertigrefan21/08/2018 18:48:54
357 forum posts
8 photos
Posted by jeffrey cottrell on 21/08/2018 18:16:55:

....just that it's claimed that 35Meg is more susceptible to interference with electric motors than 2.4 Gig.

Hi supertigrefan

Common misconception, but in my experience simply not true. What is needed is a little thought as to how to route the aerial, and that is true of 2.4 as well, maybe more so.

Jeff

That's reassuring to hear, even more reason for me to stick with 35Meg wink

jeffrey cottrell21/08/2018 18:50:38
51 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Roger

Have a look back to post 8 in this thread. that was my first post, and I gave you a link to a FrSky diy module. This is not Futaba specific but can be fitted to almost any 35Mhz transmitter.

Gives you access to quite a range of FrSky receivers. Not that expensive and pretty reliable.

Jeff

Paul Marsh21/08/2018 18:54:26
3389 forum posts
930 photos

...yeah, but is it worth doing it on a single model-only Futaba Challenger set? I don't think so, also you would be missing features out a computer radio would give you, like model memories, end points and so on...

jeffrey cottrell21/08/2018 18:55:46
51 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Roger

73 eh? Nice to see some youngsters joining the hobby, lol.

Jeff

Brian Hammond21/08/2018 18:58:44
228 forum posts

As mentioned earlier the DX6 has many safety features IE if the throttle stick is not fully closed it will tell you!

Roger Dyke21/08/2018 19:02:47
57 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your recommendations. Can't do the nationals I'm afraid, I'm away the weekend.

Roger

Roger Dyke21/08/2018 19:07:31
57 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Jeff,

I've had a look at the FrSky conversion module. I need to digest it a bit to see what I'd be dealing with. Thanks for the info.

Yes 73. Still flying light aircraft so doing okay. Very lucky.

Roger

Roger Dyke21/08/2018 19:10:02
57 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Brian,

Amazing. DX6 sounds good. Things have certainly changed so much in the last 20 years.

Roger

jeffrey cottrell21/08/2018 19:12:21
51 forum posts
3 photos
Posted by Brian Hammond on 21/08/2018 18:58:44:

As mentioned earlier the DX6 has many safety features IE if the throttle stick is not fully closed it will tell you!

Hi Brian

The Flysky FS-i6 tx will not power up unless the throttle stick is down and all switches are in their default positions.

This on a £29 radio

Jeff

MattyB21/08/2018 22:11:23
1843 forum posts
28 photos

​Some brand impartial advice from me...

• Based on your original post I don’t think converting your old set is worthwhile. It’s very old and has had a long layoff, two things that together may contribute to reduced reliability. Couple that with the fact it apparently has only a single model memory and at the very least it is going to complicate your flying experience; at worst it could spoil it through avoidable arrivals.
  • Assuming that you are going to go to a new 2.4 set, anything that utilises a variant of FHSS (full hopping spread spectrum) is going to be EXTREMELY reliable. The good news is that whilst this didn’t use to be the case, they now pretty much all do, even the cheapest sets from the likes of Flysky.
  • There are many reasons to choose a TX, and not everyone has the same taste. As a result beware anyone who says you MUST buy xyz system or avoid abc brand. My personal recommendation would be to look at physical quality (does it feel good in your hands), RX pricing (is it reasonable and/or are cheaper it good reverse engineered aftermarket RXs available such as LemonRX DSMX receivers for Spektrum) and telemetry (knowing received signal strength and RX battery voltage will be read back to me if they reduce to critical levels gives me peace of mind). Also make sure the channel count is sufficient for the most complex model you have in your fleet, then add at least 2 channels for growing room!
  • The two most important things to learn with 2.4 is how to power the RX appropriately and locate the aerials (and satellite RXs if your system uses them). Do not just do what you always used to on 35MHz; read the instructions and range test extensively on the ground before flying.

Good luck!

Edited By MattyB on 21/08/2018 22:13:13

MattyB21/08/2018 22:23:13
1843 forum posts
28 photos

Ps - To directly contradict one of my own points above wink...

A few earlier posters recommended the Hitec system. I don’t agree there, not because it isn’t good, reliable kit (it’s great on both fronts and is very usable), but because Hitec have announced they will not be making any further new TXs. That obviously puts the future of their radio systems into an uncertain state, so going with an alternative is likely to be a better bet (remember all 2.4 systems use proprietary protocols, so you need to use manufacturer RX or compatible reverse engineered 3rd party one). JR are also in a similar if even worse position (they went into bankruptcy around the turn of the year, and whilst they appear to have been rescued they are now a very different company to the one that was celebrated as Japanese made and the absolute best in quality back in the 80s and 90s).

Keith Sharples21/08/2018 22:27:23
101 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Roger.

I came back to the hobby 18 months ago, still had my old JR 35mhz radio which I used initially. I was very quicky struck on how things have changed and 2.4ghz is now the norm. I bought a secondhand Spektrum DX8 gen2 and WOW what a difference. model memory, mixing, ease of use, voice warnings etc etc (to much to mention). Needless to say I have not looked back. Word of warning if you get a Spektrum Transmitter, watch out for the DSM2 and DSMX situation, read up about it and decide. I still have my 35Meg stuff which I intend to stil use some day!

Most of all enjoy the hobby. I'm 65, retired and loving it.

Edited By Keith Sharples on 21/08/2018 22:28:35

Roger Dyke21/08/2018 22:30:10
57 forum posts
2 photos

Hi MattyB,

Thanks for you reply. I am not really that bothered about memory model as when I used to fly before it didn't exist (except on the most expensive). I always used to fly three very different models at the field with the same setup. The difference was in the mechanical throws of the control surfaces of the different models. I have been reading about all the virtues of the modern systems and they are fantastic (still don't make the tea though). I think that initially I may start off by using the 35MHz outfit I already have (with new batteries) after doing a full check out of course. Then graduate to the 2.4GHz system as I feel the need. I think the graduation may be soon as I am quite anxious to sample the new features that it offers.

Thank you so much for your thoughts and I will take them on board.

Roger

cymaz21/08/2018 22:32:02
7902 forum posts
1032 photos

Roger, even the basic of 2.4 ghz sets will give you about 6 model memory

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Slec
CML
Wings & Wheels 2018
Motion RC
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us