Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Anyone remember Multiliffe Kits from the 70's

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy Mills24/08/2018 14:19:33
9 forum posts
1 photos

Just returning to R/C after many years and found an old advert in my garage for a model kit that I built, that was used in an advert from about 1975. It was for a local North East firm called Multiliffe and was a high wing trainer. The company also produced a couple of scale models, a Red Arrows Hawk and a Vought A7U Cutlass. The main problem as I remember was that they didn't fly very well ! I remember the advert for the Cutlass had a female model in a bikini holding the model with the caption "Why not try a slow roll with our new model" Ahh the 70's, can you imagine that now ?

John Privett30/08/2018 21:40:29
5846 forum posts
227 photos

I must admit, the company name doesn't ring any bells with me. A very quick google search for the name just brings up this thread.

On the other hand your description of the advert for the Cutlass does sound familiar! Did we ever sell them in the Newcastle Model Shop when we were there?

Percy Verance30/08/2018 22:03:29
7385 forum posts
143 photos

Nope don't remember those I'm afraid, even though my subscription to RCM&E began in 1972.

PatMc30/08/2018 23:08:39
4003 forum posts
501 photos

IIRC Multilife were based in South Shields.

I have a kit of one of their more mundane models, a GA Skyfarer. It's a high wing trike with twin fins, fibreglass fuselage & foam veneered wings. Actually it's more of a part kit, some parts need to be sourced separately, I assume all their kits were like that.

Jim Carss31/08/2018 09:37:43
2023 forum posts
58 photos

Just like this one Pat.

skyfarer.jpg

wink 2

Andy Mills31/08/2018 10:02:32
9 forum posts
1 photos

Yes John we used to sell them in the old Blenheim Street shop back in the days. In fact the guy who owned the business brought three of the first kits in and asked us to build them. A lad called Hughie built the Cutlass and the Hawk and I built the trainer. I have a picture of the advert that my model was used in but I'm not sure how to post the picture.

Andy Mills31/08/2018 10:07:24
9 forum posts
1 photos

Think I have worked it out. Interestingly the young lady in the advert I actually met, many years later when I was a Policeman working in the West end of Newcastle. She also worked there as a Special Constable and she showed me her portfolio (ooh madam !)

advert.jpeg.jpg

Mike Etheridge 131/08/2018 22:08:29
1470 forum posts
407 photos

The last small aircraft I flew in with a friend was a Cessna 172. It was piloted by a female pilot Margaret who was very entertaining, but she had about 5 attempts to close the door on her side of the plane before we took off. We flew from Shoreham in Sussex over Brighton including the race course where a horse race was about to commence. Margaret looked a bit like the woman above but was dressed in a smart pilot's uniform. A great experience.

PatMc31/08/2018 22:24:40
4003 forum posts
501 photos
Posted by Jim Carss on 31/08/2018 09:37:43:

Just like this one Pat.

skyfarer.jpg

wink 2

I think the Multilife kit is about 60" span, IIRC your model is 72" built from the Phil Kent plan.

Nice job you've made of it, Jim. thumbs up

stu knowles31/08/2018 22:25:45
526 forum posts
44 photos

I have one of the Cutlass models in the garage loft, picked up for buttons at a club auction. It is complete and detailed, equipped with servo driven retracts. There is no indication that an engine has ever been installed. The finish has suffered somewhat with age but if time ever makes itself available, I have often thought that it would convert to lekky power nicely.

At the time it arrived I had no idea what the parentage was and much later stumbled across an old mag with an ad for the model complete with bikini clad adornment as described above. The mag is now stored with the model but neither have seen the light of day for several years. I wouldn't have recognised the Multilife name although I was modelling at the time. I doubt that many models escaped the 'factory' at the time.

PatMc31/08/2018 23:03:01
4003 forum posts
501 photos

Funny to think that the lady in the photo will probably have a bus pass & qualify for the cold weather allowance. wink 2

In fact I'm sure I saw her the other day playing with her grandchildren on the beach at Whitley Bay. teeth 2

onetenor01/09/2018 13:36:12
1881 forum posts

I'd bet she is St still a looker. I went out with a model until her mother tricked us both into a split. ( never found out til much later ) I met her a few years ago and she is still a beauty in her 70 s However to the pojnt ( why red line under point?) ( not under this one --weird ) Anyway I was given that kit as a birthday present but never built it. It disappeared during one of my moves ( stolen? maybe). It was as far as I recall a very complete kit. Only needing R/C and power although I don't recall any covering material.

John

stu knowles01/09/2018 13:37:16
526 forum posts
44 photos

In the interests of historical completeness, here, from the March 76 copy of our favourite mag is the Cutlass ad (and the infamous strap line)

img_8343.jpgimg_8345.jpg

Does no-one know who produced and sold these kits then?

Andy Mills01/09/2018 18:03:28
9 forum posts
1 photos

Multilife Models was a small private company set up to build and market almost ready to fly E/C models. They were based in South Shields and sold their kits via model shops and I believe mail order. I don't know when they ceased trading or what happened to the moulds.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
CML
Revoc
Overlander
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us