Electrifying Top Flite Stinson Reliant

Info & build thread

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stearman6522/09/2018 10:23:43
361 forum posts
354 photos
Posted by Rich too on 22/09/2018 07:29:45:

Nice build Eric, why not post photos in the thread? And how’s the plasterboard? wink

Hi Rich Too. The plasterboard is fine up to now, but cyno sticks to the florists wrapping.

The reason for posting pictures in my album, if I post on the thread, I have to reduce the sizes of the files twice, the originals out of the camera are 5152x2896, which I reduce to 1920 x1080 which equates to 16-9 aspect ratio which give a reasonably sized image for the slideshow software I use ( Pictures to exe). I will be creating slideshows for each portion of the build then converting them to MP4s for YouTube, which show great on a modern smart TV. Hope that explains why? Thanks for the enquiry.

Regs Eric.

Stearman6522/09/2018 18:06:02
361 forum posts
354 photos

Did a couple of hours today, trying to get the elevators & tailplane off the board. My battery drill was flat, fitted the spare battery, then found I didn't have the correct drill for the hinge points. Ordered some from Toolstation, collect tomorrow. Also my rat tail needle file is missing so I ordered a new set from the same place. Spend spend spend!!!
Maybe a rest day tomorrow.
Regs Eric

Pics in my album.

Stearman6523/09/2018 15:08:31
361 forum posts
354 photos

Called at Tool Station to collect the drills & needle file set. On returning I fitted the three hinge points to one side of the tailplane & elevator. The pictures tell the story.

Look in my album for latest images.

Stearman6524/09/2018 15:11:59
361 forum posts
354 photos

Finally got the tailplane off the board. I wasn't happy with my method of aligning the Robart hinge points on one side if the elevator. So this time what I did was to clamp the undrilled side of the tailplane, make sure the alignment was perfect, including a gap for the covering between the tip ribs. Then using my new rat tail needle file, I inserted it into the pre drilled elevator & marked the points on the pre drawn centre line of the tailplane, simple, why didn't I think of that before. In case my explanation sounds complicated, the pictures tell the tail (no pun intended).

Pictures in my album.

Stearman6525/09/2018 16:40:57
361 forum posts
354 photos

Pinned the fin t/edge to the board, then dry fitted the ribs with the jig tabs pinned to 1/4 square to hold them vertical as per the manual. once set square, zapped the joints with cyno. Then sanded the rib noses to match the angle of the leading edge, pinned the part shaped leading edge to the ribs & zapped it in place.. Added the 3/16 square rib braces. Then shaped the leading edge skin, TIP do this first before laying the fin parts on the plan. Some odd angles, doing this first would have been easiest. Added the leading edge sheet & glued in place with aliphhatic. (Lunch break) Cut the template for the fin skins from the plan & made up 2 skins, the balsa quality was really ropey, will need some work later. Left setting until tomorrow if my preventative shingles jab allows.

Pictures in my album.

Denis Watkins25/09/2018 18:25:06
3196 forum posts
147 photos

As you type Eric, there is a Camera Symbol on the top line, on the right

Click on it

It allows you to go to your Browser.

Click on your album, and click on the picture you wish to show, then

Click OK

Stearman6525/09/2018 19:19:11
361 forum posts
354 photos

Hi Dennis

If you read a few posts back, I reduce my images to 1920 x 1080 which equals 16-9 aspect ratio, which most modern TV's have without black bands, this is reduced from the in camera 5152x2896 16-9. The in post pictures have to be much less than that, or so I believe? I'll try to add one to this post & see what happens. MMMMM, seems to have worked this time? I was going to add a link, but if this works I'll give it a try.surprisesr1.jpg

Edited By Eric Shepherd on 25/09/2018 19:21:48

Stearman6525/09/2018 19:26:28
361 forum posts
354 photos

sr126_edited-1.jpgsr125.jpgsr124.jpgsr123.jpgsr122.jpgThis is todays images.sr121.jpg

Edited By Eric Shepherd on 25/09/2018 19:27:17

Stearman6525/09/2018 19:31:35
361 forum posts
354 photos

Hi Again Dennis, so to re-cap, when I click on the camera image it takes me to my album, but it seems I can only upload one image at a time? Plus if I am putting them in my album I & show them in a post I have to do it twice? Unless you know something different? The other forums I use I can add multiple images straight into the post?

Stearman6527/09/2018 07:32:14
361 forum posts
354 photos

sr129.jpgsr126_edited-1.jpgFirst job was a visit to the Doctors for my preventative shingles jab. I was sat in the chair discussing with the nurse that my wife had received a letter for her flu jab but I hadn't. She said she could do my flu jab at the same time as the shingles jab, so I came home with two sore arms. keep my mouth shut in future.
Back home to wrestle with the Stinson fin, unfortunately the wood quality for the sheeting was really poor, I've seen better quality blotting paper. I suppose TF were trying to keep the back end light. Eventually I got one side sheeted & off the board & it was lunch time. I checked my emails during lunch & there was one from Ebay, I'd sold the camcorder that I'd decided to sell to help fund the build.
In between packing the camcorder for shipping & booking the shipping, I managed to sheet the remainder of the fin & some of the shaping. So the pictures are a bit sparse. Still not got the hang of adding images in the correct order.embarrassedsr127.jpg

Edited By Eric Shepherd on 27/09/2018 07:34:51

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator27/09/2018 08:12:20
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Eric,

yes you can only insert one image at a time - if you think about it that makes sense realy, the photos are to illustrate a dialogue, a load together has no narrative?

But you should not need to insert twice! I have not come across this before? Please take a look in this area here on the forum which contains advice on posting photos.

BEB

Stearman6527/09/2018 09:14:59
361 forum posts
354 photos

Hi BEB

All the images I post have text in them to tell exactly what is going on. Sometimes I ramble on with my posts a many do, so the meaning of the pic can be lost in the ramble. I have my camera set to take images at 5152 x 2896 best res' for cropping & editing, which I reduce to 1920x1080 after editing & adding text. The post you referred to states (Click on the size you want to see - Medium 800 seems about right here.) which is less than half the size of mine. When I originally started the Stinson build thread. I tried inserting the 1920 x 1080 images into the thread & got an error message saying the size was too large. I then discovered I could insert my preferred size into my album, which I have been doing for a couple of weeks. Then someone suggested inserting the images in the post from my album by clicking the camera icon, which I tried & found it took me directly to my album, not my PC image files as usual, but found they didn't appear in the numerical order of the narrative or number I had used.

I lost my Flickr account some time ago when Google took it over & wanted me to pay for storage, which somewhat p****d me off as I had hundreds of images on there.

So that's the full picture, no pun intended.

I also have threads on RC Universe & RC groups, both allow my preferred sized images directly into the thread, RC groups are in the correct order, RC Universe you have to move them around to get the correct order.

Hope I haven't bored you silly.

Regs Eric

Stearman6527/09/2018 16:52:38
361 forum posts
354 photos

sr133.jpgsr132.jpgsr131.jpgTook the camcorder to the post office this morning, then spent an hour at the building board. The rudder core is a jigsaw of 6 pieces, two of which had gone walkabout so had to be fabricated. Left it drying over lunch then removed it from the board, (aliphatic doesn't stick to florists cellophane). Delay while I gossiped with a neighbour & gave him a copy of the AV show we did of the managers leaving party. I then pinned the rudder leading edge to the board, laid a glue line & fitted the rudder core. Unfortunately I pressed a little hard on the brittle core & it snapped along the length. That terminated the build for the day. sr130.jpg

Stearman6528/09/2018 19:35:41
361 forum posts
354 photos

sr138.jpgsr137.jpgsr136.jpgsr135.jpgJoined the broken sections of the rudder core, made & added the ribs while it was setting. This afternoon removed the broken core from the board & made & added the ribs to the other side. Finally for today, added the rudder cap strips to one side. That's it for today. For some reason my pictures are getting a "Bad Gateway" error message??? will try later.sr134.jpg

Stearman6529/09/2018 15:48:45
361 forum posts
354 photos

sr139.jpgsr140.jpgsr141.jpgsr142.jpgWoke this morning feeling distinctly dodgy, don't know if it's a combination of the recent flu & shingles jabs, or the rogan josh I had for dinner last night Pulled myself round after lunch & did a couple of hours building. Re read the manual & remembered the hinge point blocks on the fin, hence the keyhole surgery. Fitted those & the cap strips. Also fitted the hinge blocks to the rudder, then called it a draw & settled down to watch the F1 qualifying for the Russian PP, go for it Lewis.

sr143.jpg

Edited By Eric Shepherd on 29/09/2018 15:50:21

Stearman6530/09/2018 13:41:15
361 forum posts
354 photos

sr151.jpgsr147.jpgsr146.jpgsr145.jpgStill not up to the mark health wise, so haven't done much today. Cut the bass wood blocks for the rudder horns & the balsa base for the rudder fitted them & left them drying after applying copious amounts of aliphatic glue. By the way, ordered the fiberglass parts from Fiberglass Specialities in the US, 147 dollars plus the bells & whistles from HMRC. Off to watch if Lewis can clinch the F1 world championships in Russia.

sr144.jpg

Edited By Eric Shepherd on 30/09/2018 13:41:58

Stearman6501/10/2018 15:46:32
361 forum posts
354 photos

sr154.jpgsr153.jpgsr152_edited-1.jpgsr151.jpgsr149.jpgStill not feeling myself, but eventually got some more of the build done. Did some shaping on the rudder blocks & base, fitted the two strips to laminate the rudder trailing edge. Then decided to look for the block of balsa for the rudder tip. An hour later, after emptying the box using my enigma machine to try to decipher the TF code for the piece, I decided to look in the box lid where I'd stored the U/C, ABS parts & the empty sheets of die cut parts. there it was in a plastic bag of other yet to be discovered parts. I placed it over the plan & drew in the approximate shape & centre lines, then partially shaped it. To go by the manual, the rudder has to be clamped to the fin for final shaping, so I glued the tip to the rudder to leave overnight until it's set to do the final shaping. That's it for the 1st of October, Incidentally, the image count has now passed the 150 mark & the back end still isn't complete.

sr148.jpg

Stearman6503/10/2018 19:02:11
361 forum posts
354 photos

srw6.jpgsrw5.jpgsrw4.jpgsrw3.jpgsrw2.jpgsr159.jpgsr158.jpgsr157.jpgsr156b.jpgFinally went as far as possible finishing the fin. Sanded roughly to shape, beveled the leading edge before fitting the tip, which is opposite what it says in the manual. I did it this way to get a more accurate bevel. Roughly shaped the tip then glued it in place & did some more shaping. Couldn't go any further until the fin is fitted to the fuselage.
I obviously needed more storage as the left wing which is the next stage, takes most of the space on my building board. So off to Warrington for another delve around Ikea. The Ikea Lennart shelves were a disaster & more trouble than they were worth. Also the 5 drawer chest we bought on our last visit had one edge of the top unfinished. Despite trying to get them to send a replacement, which they flatly refused, I used the visit to get that changed also. I collected a metal filing cabinet & a 3 tray letter rack, see pictures, total cost £39.00.
Back home I cleared the building board, put the tail assembly plan in storage, & built up the new storage units. Finally, I cut out the left wing from the plan, pinned it to the board & covered it with florists film as previously. "Let the Games Begin" tomorrow.

sr154.jpg

Stearman6507/10/2018 14:51:16
361 forum posts
354 photos

srw14.jpgsrw13.jpgsrw12.jpgsrw11.jpgsrw10.jpgsrw9.jpgI spent around 7 hours over 3 days separating the components from the die cut ply & balsa sheets. If you are starting this kit or any so called Top Flite Giant Scale kits, make sure you mark each component as you remove it from the sheet. The sheets are pictured in the manual, so use either the paper version or a PDF file on a PC if you have access nearby. The components came out relatively easy, the ply being cleaner than the balsa. I woke yesterday after dreaming about the build & realised with my restricted work space, I couldn't insert the cardboard wing joining tube with the plan as I had carefully fastened it down. So after clearing the bench, I once more re-located the plan. Before that I spread the components on the bench to photograph them but still ended up with a small pile in the middle & no more room. With the plan re-located I read & re read the instructions before committing to glue, The first paragraph & drawing are confusing, the section through the spar misleading, it shows 5 items where there are only 3, the 2 spars & the jig. I've left the two spars with the glue drying while I relax at the PC..
PS almost forgot, I've compiled a simple AV show of the first part of the build, it's on YouTube, this link should get you to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUnJQmRsgVU&t=3s

srw8.jpg

Edited By Eric Shepherd on 07/10/2018 14:53:17

Edited By Eric Shepherd on 07/10/2018 14:59:43

Stearman6509/10/2018 17:37:20
361 forum posts
354 photos

srw24.jpgsrw23.jpgsrw22.jpgsrw21_edited-1.jpgsrw20.jpgsrw19.jpgsrw18.jpgsrw17.jpgReally having trouble interpreting the plans & manual. Having to blow up the PDF file on the PC, move to the workshop then back to the PC. Eventually brought the multi component ribs to the PC to help indentifying which was which. Doing so I identified one puzzle relating to the outer trailing edge spar. on page 17 top right it says "Cut along the partially die-cut line of one die cut 1/8" balsa outer TE spars and remove the jig. Glue that outer TE spar to the front of another outer TE spar that has the jig still attached. which to me was double dutch, (no insult intended to our Dutch friends,) After laminating the two pieces of TE spar & setting them aside for a couple of days, I was puzzling over the multi piece ribs on the PDF & found the partial die cut which just about scores the balsa on the actual piece, still not sure how to proceed, at least I haven't cut off something I shouldn't have.

srw15.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us