Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

TN Hurricane

queries and questions

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
john powles02/10/2008 19:14:00
98 forum posts
Hi everyone out there my bug about this plan is when are they going to do a pair of wings instead of just one & also put a tail on the fuselage complete & also half a tailplane . if you are going to print a plan  do it properly -even if it is a free plan it costs extra over the normal price of the mag.
Doug Ireland03/10/2008 03:04:00
2088 forum posts
42 photos

Hi John, I agree 100%! I intend to build this model but it would be so much easier with full-size plans. I would be more than willing to pay extra for them.

One of the more prolific designers that submits plans to the magazine (Peter Miller) will provide copies of his draft plans that are full size if requested. If he can do it then why not others?

Des Richards03/10/2008 08:34:00
22 forum posts

Hi all - can someone out there help me. I live in New Zealand and have been unable to get a copy of this issue - dead keen to build it but need the mag and plan.

many thanks in advance

Des

Brian Lambert03/10/2008 11:21:00
339 forum posts
6 photos
The plan is available from "My Hobby Store" and a PDF coppy of the artical from the mag is on Tony's web site Hurricane hope that helps
john powles03/10/2008 15:57:00
98 forum posts
Doug .I traced the plan & got it reprinted in a mirror image & also had it reduced by 15% so I could use a smaller  electric motor & battery etc. the cost was for the full size was a bit to expensive on setup.
Des Richards03/10/2008 23:51:00
22 forum posts

Thanks a heap Rusper and Kris1,  Have downloaded the PDF as you suggested Rusper and ordered the Plan.

A big thank you Kris for offerring to get the mag for me - depending on what happens I may take you up on your offer

cheers

Des

Doug Ireland04/10/2008 02:34:00
2088 forum posts
42 photos
If I could get hold of a full size drawing in DWG format then I could print it off on one of the big plotters at work. It would make building the wing so much easier! Making photocopies is all well and good but you may notice a slight reduction in size from the original, seen it happen before.
Clive Moore04/10/2008 09:39:00
150 forum posts
28 photos

Hi all, I fly of a small patch and was wondering if it would be possible to put flaps on this without to much weight penalty?

Any views

Clive

Ted Day04/10/2008 20:56:00
11 forum posts

I intend to build the Hurricane offered in this months RCM&E and would offer this solution to the apparent problems over the plans.  Find someone that can copy the plans, I did [ £4.00].  Chop and tape these until you have a complete side elevation.  Buy some tracing paper and trace the right hand wing.  Turn the tracing over and tape it to the missing left hand side, you might have to highlight the image on the side now facing up.  Do likewise to the tailplane  then return to photo copy people and spend another £4 and you will have the satisfaction of owning complete plans, I did this when I built the Sky 40 and it worked well.  Of course it has to be IC powered if you want it sound like Merlin.

Ted. 

Ian Todd04/10/2008 21:24:00
2 forum posts

Tony,Thank you for yet another excellent model!  Is it possible for more information to be provided on the tailwheel assembly?

Ian

David Ashby - Moderator06/10/2008 08:34:00
11021 forum posts
1723 photos
616 articles

Clive - having seen the model I'd say yes, no problem to flaps.

Ian, I believe Tony used a simple commercial tail wheel unit.  

Clive Moore06/10/2008 09:41:00
150 forum posts
28 photos
Thanks David
Tony Nijhuis06/10/2008 13:29:00
609 forum posts
233 photos

Ian, You could just use a commercial tail wheel unit....I made one from 12swg piano wire, a length of brass tube as a bearing that fits through the ply spine, and the collet on the end to keep in place. I fix this in to position before covering so I could fit the collet through the fuse stringers.

Clive, yes can't see a problem with flaps.... 

Just a note on the plan layout......yes I agree its not prefect but RCM&E are limited by the paper size (being approx A2) when they offer a free plan..... so I guess chopping about of my original 2 sheet (AO)plan was inevitable.

Tony  

Fubar07/10/2008 13:29:00
37 forum posts
3 photos
Doug Ireland available on the web is a useful little program available for free on a months free trial called PDF fly you can convert pdf easily to dxf etc quite easily and for free.
Bravedan07/10/2008 19:37:00
152 forum posts
6 photos
john powles wrote (see)
Doug .I traced the plan & got it reprinted in a mirror image & also had it reduced by 15% so I could use a smaller  electric motor & battery etc. the cost was for the full size was a bit to expensive on setup.

Ah........Snap...........

I was planning on doing similar.................is there any way you could help me, saving reinventing the wheel?? 

Any costs reimbursed, of course.............

Bravedan07/10/2008 19:45:00
152 forum posts
6 photos
Tony Nijhuis wrote (see)

Just a note on the plan layout......yes I agree its not prefect but RCM&E are limited by the paper size (being approx A2) when they offer a free plan..... so I guess chopping about of my original 2 sheet (AO)plan was inevitable

Tony  

Tony,

Thanks for all your work on designing and bringing this model through to be published, and I fully realise this is not "your" part, but I do feel that plans should either be printed in "ready to build" form OR published in reduced scale but complete form, as it's far easier to rescale a complete plan than to copy everything trying to stay 1:1 and then piece the bits back together! 

James Allum07/10/2008 23:47:00
6 forum posts

i am seriously considering building the hurricane but only have a limited budget , i know how much cnc pack and engine will cost but what about the rest? could anybody give me any pointers as to where i can get the other building materials from and at what cost.already have electronic components due to sad demise of previous plane, any help would be greatly appreciated

jim

Tony Nijhuis08/10/2008 00:02:00
609 forum posts
233 photos

Jim,

If you bought the wood (as listed on the plan) including sheets of 3mm & 2mm lite ply for hand cuting the CNC parts  from a model shop you may end up paying around £60. Why not speak to SLEC Ltd (balsa importers) direct, they are a little cheaper than the model shop.

Bravedan, Alway a pleasure to know the plan has brightend up someones day.....we sure do need it at the moment...... 

Tony 

john powles08/10/2008 17:47:00
98 forum posts
Bravedan. I could  get another set of prints done the costs are about £8to10.00 or there abouts ,when I did mine I retraced all the  bulkheads & ribs etc.so I think that the plan as normal -15% might be cheaper . send a new thread if you are intereted. JOHN
Bob Skidmore08/10/2008 23:27:00
9 forum posts

Why not make the full size plans available as an electronic file, (after all, they are supposedly "free" in the magazine)? That would alleviate the problems RCM&E have with paper size, we could print off our own copies and every-one's a winner .

There are certain areas of the forum that are for "subscribers only" so if RCM&E were feeling a bit protective, the electronic plans could be restricted to that area. If the intention is truly to bring "traditional building" back to the great unwashed, surely this would be a better way forward.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!