Forum sponsored by CML

S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

McG 696917/12/2018 13:45:36
2546 forum posts
977 photos

Hi Danny,

To me it looks like that last bit of side balsa you added should go to the right side of the fuse and ending glued to FS5 which doesn't exist at the port side.... ?

On the other end, I don't seem to see the tilted FS3 (left side only) at your port side just in front of the u/c. The port aft fuse stringers should start at that FS3...?

The bottom one of those port stringers is shown wrong on the drawing as it then should start just behind your u/c former... ?

Please note my question marks to all paragraphs... I'm still around and 'very ready' to be corrected. angel blush

Anyhow, I guess I'll just grab my coat now.

Cheers

Chris

Colin Leighfield17/12/2018 14:08:08
5952 forum posts
2492 photos

As far as I can tell I’m spot on with the plan, but I will take another look. Picking up Chris’s comment on FS3, I was wondering about that. As you are unlikely to make a mistake like that, I am assuming there is a difference here between the Fury and the Nimrod?

Colin Leighfield17/12/2018 14:51:50
5952 forum posts
2492 photos

I just looked again and I have connected the bottom stringer to F7.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 17/12/2018 14:52:39

Danny Fenton17/12/2018 15:07:11
9107 forum posts
3945 photos

Well done Colin

Chris, FS3 is present and is slanted. The stringer goes under that sheeting.

I agree with you that what is shown on the drawing fits fine for the sheeting on the starboad side, but nothing is shown for the left?

If you look at the bulkheads F7 and F8 the sheeting ends between the two. I was going to end it at F7, but think it should match the other side for some reason. It isn't going to matter.

042.jpg

The small view at the top of the plan alludes to this shape too

043.jpg

044.jpg

Dick Van Mourik seems to have come to the same conclusion as I have.

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 17/12/2018 15:12:41

Edited By Danny Fenton on 17/12/2018 15:46:20

Martian17/12/2018 17:45:51
2217 forum posts
1091 photos

I spent quite some time poring over that area then cracked on it looks just the same as yours Danny although not so neat

Colin Leighfield17/12/2018 17:51:18
5952 forum posts
2492 photos

I can’t reconcile the photo in your 12-15 posting with the one in the 15-07, one shows the sheeting vertical and the other slanted! The two sides are different of course. Do I need my eyes re-testing?

McG 696917/12/2018 18:23:29
2546 forum posts
977 photos

That was my feeling too, Colin.

I thought the port side Surface Former was 'vertical' as well.

But then it was quite a while ago since I had my eyes tested... blush

Dunno anymore as I even lost all of my Fury drawings, documentation and research due to a total laptop crash about two weeks ago.

Cheers

Chris

Colin Leighfield17/12/2018 19:10:57
5952 forum posts
2492 photos

That’s bad news Chris, no back-up anywhere?

McG 696917/12/2018 19:38:02
2546 forum posts
977 photos

Indeed 'bad news', Colin.

I had a quite recent back-up stick including the Fury files but the new Win10 machine - a great gift from The LotH, by the way - doesn't accept to read it. Possibly the' bits' difference between the old XP machine and the 86 of the new one.

No back-up unfortunately. An IT friend is trying to 'revive' the CPU of the old laptop and get the docs back. Fingers crossed... cool

On a side note, none of my 'old software' - like Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe Pro 8, Word or Publisher - is still accepted by Win 10... crying

Apologies for 'squatting' your build thread, Danny.

Cheers

Chris

Danny Fenton17/12/2018 19:47:41
9107 forum posts
3945 photos

Not at all Chris, I am sorry it been splatted!

Let me know what you need, 3 views, etc and I will wizz them across?

Well done Martian, you should have posted that you were pondering that bit, we couldn't quite hear the gears whirring in the Midlands...

Chrs and Colin...... I am really surprised you thought I would have fitted F3S wrong......any more suggestions like that and it's detention

I have managed to get illustrator, Photoshop and Turbocad working on my win 10 lappy. dont ask me how, I have slept since then.

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton17/12/2018 20:04:07
9107 forum posts
3945 photos

Filled in the wing seat section, a bit of a faff because I had added the sheeting first, but I got there in the end.

To stop the bits of infill falling too far when trying to fit them, use pins as a support.

045.jpg

I thought I would include a pic of the port and starboard sides, showing the rear of the wing seats.

046.jpg

047.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Colin Leighfield17/12/2018 20:06:03
5952 forum posts
2492 photos

Watch it teacher, the last time that the form master gave me a rocket I wax polished the blackboards. The screeching noises the morning after when he couldn’t get the chalk to work could be heard half a mile away and virtually closed the school down. It was well worth the three works worth of extra work that followed as punishment. I still consider it to have been my highest academic achievement, which I suppose adds a true perspective to the real value of my life’s work so far!

Danny Fenton17/12/2018 20:11:28
9107 forum posts
3945 photos

I can just imagine you doing it too

So if I find all my keys super glued down I will know it was you

Colin Leighfield17/12/2018 20:28:50
5952 forum posts
2492 photos

dc742166-a2c3-4d13-afb5-096892c53f2d.jpegAargh! Rumbled. Now I will have to scheme up a new fiendish plot. Although my efforts are somewhat scruffy compared to yours, it looks as if I’ve got it about right then. Some work needed with the Permagrit around the wing seat profiles, although what I usually do is plaster with filler, put some polythene on top then bolt the wing on tight. That gives a perfect wing seat usually.

Martian17/12/2018 20:43:09
2217 forum posts
1091 photos

The thing is Danny I ponder very quietly most often when I.m supposed to be sleeping. the thing is chaps as long as it stays together that part gets covered and hides all sins

Posted by Danny Fenton on 17/12/2018 19:47:41:

Not at all Chris, I am sorry it been splatted!

Let me know what you need, 3 views, etc and I will wizz them across?

Well done Martian, you should have posted that you were pondering that bit, we couldn't quite hear the gears whirring in the Midlands...

Chrs and Colin...... I am really surprised you thought I would have fitted F3S wrong......any more suggestions like that and it's detention

I have managed to get illustrator, Photoshop and Turbocad working on my win 10 lappy. dont ask me how, I have slept since then.

Cheers

Danny

Bob Bertram09/01/2019 13:42:38
275 forum posts
27 photos
Hi Danny, in the latest issue of Aeroplane (February), the Database section is on the Nimrod. Will have 3 views etc.
Danny Fenton09/01/2019 16:37:57
9107 forum posts
3945 photos

Hi Bob, that's interesting I will try and get to Smiths and have a flick through to see if it is of any use

Thanks for the heads up

Cheers

Danny

Silver Wolf09/01/2019 17:14:48
167 forum posts
151 photos

Hi Danny,

Although you are past the left hand sheeting, the photo shows panel lines you have are correct.

dscn0408.jpg

Regards SW

Colin Leighfield10/01/2019 14:30:51
5952 forum posts
2492 photos

My February edition of Aeroplane arrived today, (I have a copy of every one since the magazine was re-introduced in 1973).

The Nimrod feature is excellent and most informative with good photographs and and three views of Mk1 and 2. Fascinating description of early problems with c of g that made it prefer to fly upside down rather than right side up and the impossibility of getting it out of an inverted dive except by using down elevator to stall it inverted! Hair raising and resolved by moving c of g forward and enlarging the tail surfaces. A bit like some of my models.

Charlie Brown flies both the existing airworthy Nimrods and the HAC Fury. He describes them as “fragile” and for that reason they were supplied with two sets of wings! He reckons that you could very easily wipe the undercarriage off in a less than perfect deck landing. Comparing the Nimrods with the Fury he said that the latter feels more like a Pitts Special, although less sure footed and lacking the forgiving lateral stability that the Nimrod has.

Very interestingly he says that Hawker ran control cables around corners through fibre guides, which they cut into under load. Supermarine used a fibre roller with a roller bearing centre and he describes that as the reason why Hawkers feel so different because “you don’t get the precise feedback to three decimal places from the flying controls that you get with Supermarines”. Penny pinching by Hawker? That was evident in their failure to invest in modern manufacturing techniques during the mid thirties resulting in the semi-antiquated nature of the Hurricane that was a factor in limiting its development potential.

Doesn’t change the fact that the Nimrod makes a great scale model subject though. The random bits and pieces that the Navy hung on it to make it suitable for carrier operation create huge opportunities for Danny to use his museum standard craft skills in making what is going to be a head turning aeroplane. Can’t wait to see it, I will probably keep a cover on mine!

J D 815/01/2019 17:10:09
1263 forum posts
74 photos

Beat me to it Colin. An interesting feature all round. John.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
CML
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us