Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Colin Leighfield15/01/2019 19:07:05
5686 forum posts
2323 photos

The Database feature is always the first thing I look at when the mag arrives in the post John!

Danny Fenton11/02/2019 22:38:12
8914 forum posts
3787 photos

Well it has been a while since I have posted, sorry about that, but everybody seems to be coping fine without me so that is good.

We lost a member of the family and with the loss of BEB too in almost the same week my mojo had gone.

Added to that the realisation that Colin is quite right the Nimrod has a three foot greater span, and deeper chord. Not to mention the larger tailplane. So I am going to have to revert back to doing a Fury MkI.

I am still struggling to chose a subject as I have opted for a skid and most of the ones with good documentation have tailwheels. I may have to take the skid off and make a tailwheel. Ah well no real issue as the back end is still open.

I have managed to get the elevator servo in and the bellcrank sorted. This is a tricky area on a dual C/L and R/C model as you have to carefully think how you will change from one to the other. I think I have it sorted.

I was intending to go on to the undercarriage, but as that is likely to be fiddly and not very much return on hours of work, which would cause me to lose momentum. I swung my attention on to the upper wing.

Building structures always goes quickly and builds some enthusiasm. Seeing Tony's Fury sat with both wings and on its wheels, with that terrific pilot really did make me want to get back into the workshop, so thanks Tony and Andy your wing is like a work of art.

Anyway a couple of pics:

050.jpg

051.jpg

Yep that's the centre section nearly done. I am not sure whom I saw do the wing this way, probably Martin F? But it was a great deal simpler than how I did the lower wing. As the dihedral is minimal I was able to use the 1/4 square carbon section with the round rod as the joiner. I have strengthened the outside of the carbon by surrounding it in spruce. This should stop it splitting. However you must be warned these carbon dowels are really just to hold the wings while rigging. The flying loads must be carried by the lifting and landing wires!

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 11/02/2019 22:41:35

Colin Leighfield11/02/2019 23:05:35
5686 forum posts
2323 photos

32d82793-448f-4a5b-9534-51e11b7e4ea5.jpeg03e940d2-25d0-4348-bbd3-96616d272e4b.jpeg167d4b5b-2670-4aaa-9fbc-ca0b34ddb46c.jpegSorry that you have had a rough patch Danny, these things are so depressing. I’m also sorry if I caused you grief when I mentioned the increased span on the Nimrod, I never thought to mention it before and as you hadn’t said anything about it I thought you were just being canny to surprise us. It wouldn’t be that hard to modify the design to suit but it must be a bit late in the day for that.

I am just on with the upper wing now. Might have enough done tomorrow night to get some photos up again. My wing join picked up on Martin pointing out that 7mm od/5mm id carbon fibre tube slid perfectly into 7.14mm id brass tube, but I have made mine longer, as I have done before with other projects and will be less dependent on the flying wires. Photos show the bottom wing. Upper centre section will be the same.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 11/02/2019 23:07:25

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 11/02/2019 23:14:46

Tony Bennett11/02/2019 23:11:43
5019 forum posts
129 photos

nice to have you back Danny.

nice to think that my bodged attempt has got you going again.

Tony B

Martian12/02/2019 09:13:49
2064 forum posts
1010 photos

Good to have you back Danny and I hope life improves

Danny Fenton12/02/2019 09:16:08
8914 forum posts
3787 photos

thx chaps

McG 696912/02/2019 09:34:46
2399 forum posts
976 photos

Really great indeed to have you back in the Classroom, Danny.

Keep the building mojo going and and life will surely enlighten itself gradually.

Cheers

Chris

Martin Fane12/02/2019 10:44:14
266 forum posts
269 photos

Hi Danny

Great to see you back on the build.

Martin

Colin Leighfield12/02/2019 11:26:07
5686 forum posts
2323 photos

Danny, why not include the Fury Mk2 in your consideration? Aerodynamically it is the same as the Mk1? The primary difference as far as I understand is the more powerful version of the Kestrel, the wings are the same. It also offers the opportunity of fitting the wheel spats that look so good on the Fury. Not always fitted or removed later, but there are some great photos of it around. Gives you more choice.

Danny Fenton12/02/2019 11:29:50
8914 forum posts
3787 photos

Hi Colin, yes indeed that is possible, but I will have to disagree, my tates are that I really don't like the look of it with spats, but thanks for the suggestion. I like it in yellow training colours, and also in camo. But not enough pics of it.

For comp work it will probably have to be either the one Andy is doing or the Duxford one.

Didn't somebody say there was another in a UK museum, static display?

Cheers

Danny

Richard Mallam.12/02/2019 11:42:01
45 forum posts
4 photos

Hi Danny,

It's good to have you back.

Changing the subject from the above somewhat, I have been trying to decide how to proceed with making the fairing for the oleo legs and have bought foam from Bluefoam. Having not worked with the material before, can you suggest how best to shape it and whether you would agree with Bluefoam (when i spoke with them) that it can be covered with glass?

Alternatively, I would guess at shaping with block balsa - what would be your preference?

Regards, Richard

Danny Fenton12/02/2019 11:52:05
8914 forum posts
3787 photos

Hi Richard, I wouldn't use blue foam for these bits, I would use balsa, wrapped in litho plate, or even just Litho with some fairing blocks of balsa at either end. I will do mine in Litho when I get there.

These are the leg covers I did for the Chippy build.

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton12/02/2019 12:14:42
8914 forum posts
3787 photos

Those that have split their upper wing into sections, how did you drill the upper centre section strut clamp holes? Its easy with the simple ply doublers, not so when there is a carbon tube buried within!

This was my solution, didn't work quite as well as it should have, but it did work.

052.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Richard Mallam.12/02/2019 12:17:39
45 forum posts
4 photos
Thanks very much Danny.

Richard
Danny Fenton12/02/2019 12:28:56
8914 forum posts
3787 photos

Oh Richard sorry I should have said. Blue foam is easily sanded to shape, but don't use too fine a paper, you have to experiment to find one that works easily. I have some aluminium oxide 120 grit (green colour) that works really well. And yes it takes glass cloth really well, but make sure it is epoxy, not polyester or it will melt the foam.

This a carb air intake for my Brian Taylor Hurricane. Blue foam with 25gsm cloth

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 12/02/2019 12:29:19

Colin Leighfield12/02/2019 13:13:41
5686 forum posts
2323 photos

Hi Danny. Isn’t Tony’s based on a replica? As far as the Fury 2 is concerned I know that the spats were frequently removed. I imagine that you are working on the basis that for a competitive scale model there needs to be an existing full size example and there are no Mark 2s in existence, at least as far as I know. That consideration would definitely rule out my Spanish Fury! I hadn’t even thought about the drilling issue that you describe, I will have to codge my way through that one when I get to it!

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 12/02/2019 13:15:29

Danny Fenton12/02/2019 15:08:16
8914 forum posts
3787 photos

Hi Colin, for a competitive scale model I need three views of the specific subject aircraft, not drawings but photos. This is why you really do need to pick a subject that is still in existance. You can get away with a static/non flying exhibit in a museum somewhere, but really a subject picked from a book without additional supporting pics will lose you a great deal of marks in competition.

I had considered silver soldering a drill bit to the end of some piano wire, that would also have worked. You can buy 200mm long 2.5mm drill bits, but where is the fun in that?

Cheers

Danny

Richard Mallam.12/02/2019 15:19:16
45 forum posts
4 photos
Thanks again Danny. Lots to mull over!Richard
Colin Leighfield12/02/2019 15:32:22
5686 forum posts
2323 photos

Danny, noted. I don’t think I will need to worry about that too much, such aspirations are beyond me I’m afraid! I like your alternative to the very long drill bit. In the past I have once or twice burned holes through, it can work well as long as you don’t set fire to the whole shebang! Perhaps not this time.

Danny Fenton12/02/2019 16:46:25
8914 forum posts
3787 photos

A couple more pics though i am not sure anybody following this thread needs any of this info, but you never know.

Alligning floating ribs:

053.jpg

054.jpg

The straight edge ensures the rib upper surface is in allignment with the other ribs, and the lego stack is my perpendicular gauge.

Cheers

Danny

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
CML
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Motion RC
Slec
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Revoc
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us