2235 forum posts
1091 photos

It was a subtle pun Elgar wrote a piece called Nimrod 😏 sorry bout that

Geoff Sleath23/09/2018 11:32:28
3436 forum posts
302 photos
Posted by Martian on 23/09/2018 11:00:26:

It was a subtle pun Elgar wrote a piece called Nimrod 😏 sorry bout that

Well it's one of the movements from the Enigma Variations and is intended to describe his friend Jaeger (German for hunter) and Nimrod is a hunter which is probably why it's used to describe this aeroplane (and, of course, the DH Comet based aircraft with the same name).

I almost certainly won't be building this model (way out of my skill-set) but I love biplanes and this is one of the most beautiful, so I'll be following with interest.

Geoff

Danny Fenton27/09/2018 09:20:50
9216 forum posts
4069 photos

I did get the link Martian, and listened to "nimrod" for a while but not my cup of tea

I am sure you would cope Geoff, after all that is what the rest of the group is for, support, encouragement and a peek at how others tackle a problem

Soon be time to start. My bench is full of Apache at the mo, suppose I better think about some fresh glue and a clear up

Cheers

Danny

Jose L. G.27/09/2018 09:26:19
180 forum posts
133 photos

Hi Danny.

Also clearing the work bench. Just finished a glider, ASW-28, almost 4 meters in span. Other projects in the pipe. Soon to be gluing balsa (Hope not on my fingers)….

Ordered the forkends for both planes. Thinking on landing gear for the Spanish Fury……. Get fun begings.

José Luis.

P.S.: charging camera batts.

Edited By Jose L. G. on 27/09/2018 09:26:57

Silver Wolf27/09/2018 12:15:30
168 forum posts
151 photos

Well what's it to be Nimrod or Fury? Some of the colour schemes for the Nimrod's look very attractive could be very tempted. My bench still has a chippy on it. With the Fury having two sets of wings it could take a little while.

Regards

SW

Danny Fenton01/10/2018 17:21:26
9216 forum posts
4069 photos

okay so the journey begins....

fury 1.jpg

Geoff Sleath01/10/2018 17:35:46
3436 forum posts
302 photos

That looks pretty straight forward, Danny. It's as good as done

Geoff

Danny Fenton01/10/2018 18:04:18
9216 forum posts
4069 photos

It is fairly straightforward Geoff, ther is still time to join in you know

The iffy bit on this is that blessed threaded section for the rigging plate. I think the easiest solution is to leave it off until the whole assembly is ready for covering, then let the screw and plate in by removing a small section of rib on one side

Cheers

Danny

Martian01/10/2018 18:32:13
2235 forum posts
1091 photos

is that it Danny I thought you would be half way to finishing

McG 696901/10/2018 18:56:56
2645 forum posts
999 photos

I wouldn't 'push' the Chief, Martian...

... or you might get a full house of board erasers before you realize. surprise

The other reason being that I 'll have to be several weeks late to start. Let's keep the Boss at a steady low pace, it's not a race after all. cool

Cheers

Chris

Danny Fenton01/10/2018 18:57:37
9216 forum posts
4069 photos

You know I am not a fast builder....

Hopefully you can see how the threaded rod and tension plate will fit. The slot is only accesable from the one side. The two small gaps are sealed with some balsa before covering. The whole things has been sanded to profile, quite difficult to keep it symetrical, but slowly does it.

fury 2.jpg

On to the rudder now....

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton01/10/2018 20:56:44
9216 forum posts
4069 photos

Okay that's enough for this evening.

fury 3.jpg

I wanted to start with an easy bit that I could bin if I couldn't get back into the groove, but all is well so tomorrow the tailplane and elevators which should be a much greater challenge. There is still a notch to cut in the fin trailing edge for the 1/8 ply stern/fin post R1, but that can wait until the fuselage id under way.

Oh I know a couple of people need to know this, fin 5.6g rudder 7.6g

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 01/10/2018 20:58:21

Martyn K01/10/2018 21:30:39
4985 forum posts
3624 photos

I still haven't unrolled my plan. Still too much on the building board and maintenance tasks this week. Will make a start in a few days. I just wish I could build as neat as that though.

What are the rudder hinges Danny?

Martyn

Danny Fenton01/10/2018 21:36:26
9216 forum posts
4069 photos

Hi Martyn, no worries it isn't a race

The hinges are regular Dubro jobs, as per the plan. The way the hinges are done on the full size is difficult to replicate without making the tail surfaces from tubing, which we haven't done. So it is a compromise, I know... page 2 and I am compromising, doesn't bode well does it

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton02/10/2018 13:43:49
9216 forum posts
4069 photos

Just in case I am not being very clear, here are a couple of shots of the fin and rudder. If anybody is struggling to follow the plan etc, then please say something

fury 4 annotated.jpg

fury 5.jpg

There is no such thing as a stupid question, and i can assure you this is not an easy plan to follow and has taken months to figure out parts of it. So I may make assumptions that are unfair on you guys, so please speak up

Cheers

Danny

McG 696902/10/2018 15:44:03
2645 forum posts
999 photos

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the additional pics.

This will sound very daft indeed, but if I remember your Chippie thread well, you were giving more details about - for example - the glues you used, the kit parts but also the stock bits that weren't included in the kit, etc.

Now my plans and kit are still wrapped and of course, I do realize that I'm the most novice member of your Classroom, so I might just sit back and wait till I'm less overwhelmed. angel

Also, I can't project myself doing the fin/rudder parts including 'careful' sanding in just one evening, even being a 'long' session. I guess I'll need something like ten sessions for this... ppfff ! blush

The DB plan shows six ribs for the rudder, yours has five. Is this on purpose?

Cheers

Chris

Danny Fenton02/10/2018 16:23:58
9216 forum posts
4069 photos

Hi Chris, you are steeley eyed. One house point to Chris

I had six ribs on one side, but not the other! when I looked at the pic I spotted it and quickly added it before bed

I have used a SLEC stripping tool to use the edges of the sheets of wood that the parts arrive in. If the wood is too heavy then switch to lighter stock by all means.

I fold the plan so that i can work on the relevent section without cutting the plan up, I really hate that, not sure why I rarely use a plan again!

I use the backing from Solartex (doesn't everybody keep the film backing for plan preotecting?) Balsa Cabin also sells plan protector sheets which is very good.

Glues, I have tried all sorts, but being impatient I am using Rocket Hot, which is a thin CA. For larger surfaces I use Titebond wood glue. CA gives a brittle joint so dont flood the area!

Waiting and soaking what you see up is very wise. If we fall into a hole, and do something wrong, you will be able to benefit

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 02/10/2018 16:26:17

Martyn K02/10/2018 16:33:17
4985 forum posts
3624 photos

On the full size and the model there is a slot in the fin for the rear fin >< tailplane rigging wire. I can see this on the plan. Your heading Nimrod shows a front wire as well. How will this be fastened Danny?

Martyn

Geoff Sleath02/10/2018 16:40:10
3436 forum posts
302 photos
Posted by Danny Fenton on 02/10/2018 16:23:58:

I fold the plan so that i can work on the relevent section without cutting the plan up, I really hate that, not sure why I rarely use a plan again!

Cheers

Danny

That's why I get a plan copied (in my case at Staples or whatever they're called now) so I feel free to cut it up as required without needing to feel guilty.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 02/10/2018 16:40:40

Danny Fenton02/10/2018 18:23:35
9216 forum posts
4069 photos
Posted by Martyn K on 02/10/2018 16:33:17:

On the full size and the model there is a slot in the fin for the rear fin >< tailplane rigging wire. I can see this on the plan. Your heading Nimrod shows a front wire as well. How will this be fastened Danny?

Martyn

You are quite right Martin I hadn't spotted that. Not just the Nimrod, but the Fury as well, plan is missing it. I will have to ponder that. I guess i am going to have to add another in a similar way to the rear one. The fittings are expensive and it will add weight. I might have to see if I can do this another way. Maybe Piano wire as specified on the plan?

Thoughts anybody?

Geoff I have an aversion to cutting a plan up, I know it isn't rational but there you go......

Cheers

Danny

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us