Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Danny Fenton26/05/2019 20:01:28
9213 forum posts
4063 photos

Hi Chris, I am going to go with a shiny nosed jobbie, not entirely sure which one yet

Did a little more, trying to rease back into it.

I toyed with changing the hinging on the tailplane, but to be honest the profile of them is all wrong anyway so I will stick to the flat hinges. The good thing (and important for C/L) a central piece of piano wire will keep the hinge true and very free. If the levator doesn't drop under its own weight there could be much fun dancing backwards in the centre of the circle!

I added some blocks and small washers to identify where the screws would go for the tailplane bracing, that more or less conclused the tail surfaces and if I get fed up I can tissue them for relaxation. I like applying tissue

172.jpg

I also fitted the rudder servo. These little HS225 servos are pretty light and even though it is behind the c of g I don't think there will be an issue, dont forget I have a speaker in the nose on this.

173.jpg

I then braced for impact and bent the CS piano wire. I hate bending piano wire. After several bits went in the bin, I finally had some parts that looked useable.

Bending the Brass bits was entertaining, and i dont think I bent two using the same technique! But my dapping block was useful to start the bend at least. Working out exactly where that bend needed to be was the hard part!

175.jpg

176.jpg

177.jpg

174.jpg

Anyway onwards and upwards as they say.

Cheers

Danny

Tony Bennett26/05/2019 20:17:10
5079 forum posts
129 photos

nice to see you back at it Danny.

she looks a good one.

Tony B

Danny Fenton27/05/2019 16:07:52
9213 forum posts
4063 photos

Managed a little bit of bench time between chores etc.

Continued with the centre section. Realised a slight problem, getting the clips ont the piano wire, had to splay the clips apart. More tapping with the linishing hammer to get them back into shape.

The clips were drilled with 0.5mm and then opened up to 3mm in the drill press.

Everything was then positioned in the CS and holes marked, and drilled from the inside, again with just a 0.5mm drill. Then opened to 3mm from the outside. The holes were then counter sunk gently with a 10mm drill bit.

178.jpg

179.jpg

181.jpg

Lovely countersunk allen head screws, and nyloc nuts finished the job.

180.jpg

Modelfixings are my go-to supplier for all things threaded, excellent service, and pretty keen prices too.

Give Ian a try next time you need fixings, and no I am not on comission

Cheers

Danny

Colin Leighfield28/05/2019 23:25:52
5962 forum posts
2492 photos

Looking good Danny, you have shamed me back into action.

Danny Fenton31/05/2019 16:17:51
9213 forum posts
4063 photos

Presented the upper wing centre section to the cabane struts and surprisingly they slotted into the holes in the brass plates, with only a little jiggling.

182.jpg

However the "Z" shaped diagonal braces allign alongside the cabanes but not between as shown on the plan. Lookes like I will need to order more 10SWG piano wire to make some more.......

I haven't made the jig yet, perhaps i should do that first?

Those of you that have already soldered this section up, how did you keep the heat when soldering the piano wire, from scorching the wood?

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton31/05/2019 16:47:57
9213 forum posts
4063 photos

I had to slide the wings up a little (the brass tubes up the piano wire) at the front to have the assembly sitting true on the jigs.

183.jpg

184.jpg

No idea how you are supposed to solder the brass bits without setting fire to the balsa, but we will give it a go and see what happens crook Better dismantle it all and clean up the wire bits....

Wish me luck.....

Martian31/05/2019 18:09:19
2235 forum posts
1091 photos

Carefully jig for alignment then accurately mark up the piano wire ( as if you wouldn't 😛 ) remove clips and disassemble then solder clips on wife , if any misalignment reheat with a large iron or as I did a soldering gun .Good luck

Ken Lighten31/05/2019 19:47:20
248 forum posts
42 photos

Your a braver man than me doing that to your wife!

Danny Fenton31/05/2019 21:16:14
9213 forum posts
4063 photos

Thanks Martian, sounds like a real recipe for disaster to me

Did you cover the underside of the centre section before assemble to the cabane struts?

Cheers

Danny

Martian01/06/2019 10:29:38
2235 forum posts
1091 photos

She was not happy but I persevered the burns will heal in time p.s divorce comes through next week 😍 . Not done that yet Danny but personally I don't see it as possible just taking the dog for walk. Will try to explain my plan later

Colin Leighfield01/06/2019 10:43:47
5962 forum posts
2492 photos

Ouch! It wouldn’t be the first time I have created a smouldering fire when trying to solder close to the wood! If anyone is going to make a mess of that it will be me. I wouldn’t let my wife anywhere near a soldering iron, I can imagine the places she would be likely to stick it and that would definitely not be in my best interests.

Martian01/06/2019 11:06:04
2235 forum posts
1091 photos

Brilliant Colin so funny 👽

Danny Fenton02/06/2019 22:33:51
9213 forum posts
4063 photos

Had a go at creating a conflagration in the workshop. Decided the only way to solder these struts accurately was in situ.

So fire extinguisher at the ready, I attempted to solder the wife, ooops sorry no the wire

Worked a treat! 120 Watt iron, used some of Chris Bott's VERY expensive, silver content solder

185.jpg

Even remembered to thread the landing wire points on before too late.

I still have the diagonals to make, the ones I accurately made from the plan don't fit. I will make new ones, probably from a thinner gauge, 10SWG is overkill in my opinion.

Glad that bits done I was stressing a bit....... crook

186.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Dwain Dibley.02/06/2019 23:38:27
1270 forum posts
1265 photos

Well done Danny.................................I knew you could do it, and sometimes, the only way is, just to do it. wink

Brilliant thread this Guys................Luvvin it !! thumbs up

D.D.

Martin Fane03/06/2019 06:27:39
304 forum posts
313 photos

Hi Danny

Great progress, very useful guidance regarding the cabane assembly.

Back to the workshop for me then to catchup.

Do you think something like JB Weld would be suitable in place of soldering for any of this work?

Cheers

Martin

Danny Fenton03/06/2019 08:33:08
9213 forum posts
4063 photos

Thanks chaps, i was worried about this step.

JB might work, if roughed up. Soldering worked okay.

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton03/06/2019 11:42:44
9213 forum posts
4063 photos

Slightly alarming was the diagonal braces. When I bent them there was about a 4 mm discrepancy in length from one side to the other. Something was out. This is probably down to a bend radius not being constant from one side to the other throughout all the bent bits. The important thing is that the wing incidence is correct. And that the wing is parallel to the bench, which it is.

The thing that could be wrong is the wing CS may not be perpendicular to the fuselage.

I attached the wings and checked the distance to the tail with some string. I weight the string as there is often slight stretch and the weight ensures the pull is the same on each side. There was a 3 mm discrepancy, the starboard wing is slightly further forward.

188.jpg

187.jpg

189.jpg

As the incidence is correct and the height good according to the jig, I am going to accept this. Twisting the CS and bringing the starboard wing back slightly will alter the incidence and have a much more dramatic effect on flying than this slight difference in each side to the tail centre line.

Anyway onwards and upwards

Martian03/06/2019 12:23:57
2235 forum posts
1091 photos

Brilliant stuff Danny , I used well chewed chewing gum to attach the clips

Manish Chandrayan03/06/2019 12:24:21
595 forum posts
70 photos

Danny

Another idea for the measurements involved for tail to wing tip and elsewhere.

Use telescoping carbon tubes to measure the distances. Just tape the telescoped joints and and another piece of tape to approximate distance of the tip (this enables pencil marks to be visible). Zero stretch during measurements

Danny Fenton03/06/2019 12:26:04
9213 forum posts
4063 photos

Good thinking Manish, not so easy as a pin on the tail centreline, but in certain situations would work fine

Cheers

Danny

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us