Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Danny Fenton11/06/2019 20:21:53
9077 forum posts
3928 photos

Thanks Martian I will keep those in mind, the nose alloy tape has already been polished and even flatted to see if that would help, it has not. Rustoleum is not very durable apparently and being an enamel I believe will react to many solvent based cleacoats. We will see, I have been meaning to try the chrome paints for a while.

I was thinking of a dusting of very weak grey/clearcoat satin, I had to do something similar on my Chipmunk to take the edge of the silver on that. All good info and gives food for thought.

Cheers

Danny

Martin Fane11/06/2019 21:46:55
284 forum posts
289 photos

Hi Danny

Looking back at your wing servos, are they opposite handed on left and right wings ie mounted opposite ways up ?

I was wondering if this is needed to keep the RDS shaft in the correct position for the boxes ?

I was thinking of having the servos mounted so that the screws are removed from the wing lower surface side, just in case of having to open up for access, would be less visible on the lower surface ??

Cheers

Martin

Danny Fenton11/06/2019 23:11:59
9077 forum posts
3928 photos

Hi Martin yes they are. These servo lugs are central so it makes no difference which way you go, both inboard or both outboard. Good idea mounting from underneath.

Cheers

Danny

Silver Wolf14/06/2019 20:59:32
167 forum posts
151 photos

Hi Danny,

With regards the silk, I used a standard White Silk. 5mm Pongee 100% silk from Homecrafts @ £4.99 per sq m. It was used on the chippy, my first attempt at silk over tisssue. very pleased with result.

Regards SW

Danny Fenton14/06/2019 23:02:20
9077 forum posts
3928 photos

It will be good to see your results SW, everything I could find about pongee silk was about how it was woven. And tbh I disregarded it as too heavy.

I have samples now of 4 types of silk. Esaki light £18 sq/m, Beckfords (too heavy at 5.5 momme £18 sq/m, Herringtons 4201/i (recomended by Bill Dennis £17.49 sq/m. And lastly a 3.5 momme silk chiffon from an Ebayer at £5.99 sq/m

I will let you know how they work out once I have tried them.

218 esaki and karrington silk.jpg

217 ebay silk 5-99.jpg

As you can see there is not much difference in the weave, however the Esaki is very much stiffer, almost like it has been ironed with starch??

I will use a small piece from each (not the Beckfords used on the cabane struts) on a test structure perhaps an elevator half, and see how much dope it absorbs, and the final surface texture. I will also be interested in the weight obviously.

Cheers

Danny

Silver Wolf19/06/2019 19:33:10
167 forum posts
151 photos

Hi Danny

Below is the base tissue

dscn0354.jpg

Silk with one or two coats of dope, mixture of 25% shrinking, 25% non-shrinking and 50% thinners.

dscn0360.jpg

Finished and awaiting detail and primer

dscn0369.jpg

dscn0371.jpg

They are all in a draw in the loft/model room and still look good after a year. I will complete the chippy after the fury.

Hope this helps in some small way.

Kind Regards

SW

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Revoc
Motion RC
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us