Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Danny Fenton25/10/2019 12:44:43
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

A day off today. Hoping to make a dent in my Fury. Now the tail-wheel is out of the way I thought I would tackle an area that I was not looking forward to. The underside of the nose conceals the sound system on my model. Unfortunately the the Visaton speakers are pushed right to their limit and are often burnt out, so the speaker must be accessible for replacement.

269.jpg

270.jpg

271.jpg

I bought some silver speaker grille material to cover this hatch, however the aircraft isn't going to be silver now so will probably spray the cloth, we will see how it goes....

Anybody else still building their Fury?

Cheers

Danny

Colin Leighfield25/10/2019 16:33:34
5967 forum posts
2494 photos

You could say that I am, when I get back home! Itching to get the aileron servos in place but I keep getting diverted by things like indoor projects!

Martian25/10/2019 18:55:09
2260 forum posts
1091 photos

Hi Danny nice to see you are still working away still attaining perfection. I all but finished mine just needs a bit of work to get the rigging right and strut alignment. I did post an update but no one appeared to be interested its a bit disappointing but hey ho not worth posting anymore

martin collins 125/10/2019 18:58:52
211 forum posts
89 photos

There are those of us that get your updates sent to our inbox and are watching the builds with interest, just because we don`t comment please don`t think we are not watching or are not interested face 1

Danny Fenton25/10/2019 20:04:38
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

Absolutely right Martin, but I have been very remiss in not responding and keeping everybody enthusiastic. sorry Martian, I am afraid this model selection has proved to be a chore for me and I am sorry about that. Its a fine model don't get me wrong. But because of the inaccuracies I have really struggled. Soon be on to the interesting bits, covering and detailing so that might enthuse me a bit more.

Anyway, upper cowl glassed and sanded smooth. Rebates were cut in the upper fus to take three magnets, and corresponding rebates in the cowl upper section. This whole part comes off for battery access and to service the electronics as required. It also allows access to the elevator servo ball-link, should I chose to fly C/L or R/C.

277.jpg

The rebates for the magnets were cut using a milling bit in the dremel. The magnets were recessed flush and glued with an epoxy slurry. Once dry corresponding positions were rebate in the upper foam section. The three upper magnets were positioned onto the lower three magnets with some polythene between the two to make sure they didn't stick together. Then the upper cowl was taped down with more epoxy in the upper rebates.

273.jpg

To make a really nice stiff "slurry" that would not run and stay in a lump , filling any gaps, I used coloidal silica in the 15 minute epoxy mix, worked extremely well.

For those that do not know, coloidal silica will thicken epoxy and make for a really strong gluing paste. Micro balloons or micro-light, will stiffen the epoxy in a similar way but the epoxy is then light weight and sandable, and is great for non load bearing fillets.

274.jpg

272.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton25/10/2019 21:20:40
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

The Fury upper cowl fits really well and doesn't need any alignment pins, which is good. A short video in which I hope you can hear the clunk as the magnets engage. Removing the cowl is not so easy and a sturdy grip will have to be fashioned. Though sliding the cowl sideways a fraction gives an edge under which you can grip.

Cheers
Danny
Danny Fenton26/10/2019 16:34:04
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

Moved on to the Centre section rigging, I didn't want to use my expensive Mick Reeves fittings so thought I would use .8mm piano wire and solder washers to retain them. Not sure this will be strong enough for lifting/landing wires....

278.jpg

279.jpg

These are shown before being trimmed

Cheers

Danny

Martyn K26/10/2019 18:45:30
5005 forum posts
3658 photos

I would have been inclined to fold right back then add a twist around the wire. That would be strong enough for the flying wires I think.

Beautifully neat as usual though.

Martyn

Danny Fenton26/10/2019 20:07:40
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

Not so easy Martyn, the wire doesn't exit pependicular to the fitting. I had originally thought to fold it back, lock it with a wire wrap, then solder. Wont work for CS but maybe for the flying wires. They are doubled up on the flying wires which may help.

Thx for the neatness comment though, much appreciated

Cheers

Danny

Martian27/10/2019 12:39:03
2260 forum posts
1091 photos

Thank you, Martin and Danny, not in the best place these last few months. I must say Danny I agree with Martin with reference to the neatness with which you build it,s a pleasure to follow

Danny Fenton27/10/2019 21:47:30
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

Thanks Martian

Had a really good day at Gaydon today, spent quite a bit of time with Martin discussing how to survive this build and we have some ideas It was also good to catch up with Silverwolf, he had a note excusing him from the Fury as he was still in detention on the Chipmunk. I might let him skip class

Martin raised a good point, really the centre section of the wing should have been attached to the centre section struts before adding the rigging wires, as it could pull things out of shape.I will fit it tomorrow and check that I haven't upset things, but I was very careful that I did not add any tension. But thanks Martin it is well worth checking. Tony had some issues with his centre section strangely no longer being true.

Started to take a look at the undercarriage, I wish I had opted for Colin's Spanish Fury with the single leg, but alas I have not.

Firstly I dismantled the chosen 150mm long oleos to see what I had to work with.

280.jpg

The whole for the axle is at 90 degrees to the oleo base, that wont work. simply drilling a new whole 90 degrees around and at an angle to suit the axle also wouldn't work as it would be very weak.

281.jpg

It looks like if you flip the oleo and put the shorter part that would normally fit to the axle at the top, drill down the centre of the oleo to take the piano wire "U" section, and tap for a grub screw to lock it in place, the "U" sectio can pivot in the brass attachment fitting on the fus bulkhead F3

This leaves the other end of the oleo to be drilled at an angle to take the axle.

The bit I haven't yet figured out is how to attach the trailing arms to the bottom of the oleos.

I know Tony has already done all this but alas he didn't show any pics

Anyway something to muse over before I stick the tubes in the lathe

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton28/10/2019 12:18:22
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

Okay so it is cold outside where my lathe lives, so found something else to do

Anybody guess what is going on here

282.jpg

Not you Martin, you will be sighing I know

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 28/10/2019 12:19:08

Danny Fenton28/10/2019 14:10:11
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

Fairly obvious I guess. The cowl is not a great fit to the fuselage. I think F1 is a little too narrow. So the cowl goes in at the back of the cowl, and doesn't blend very well with the fuselage. This has helped. Once the area is glassed it wont take so much filler to get it right, or in fact hide with a panel line or two.

283.jpg

Better do the other side.

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton28/10/2019 18:04:41
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

I know how much everybody likes exposed woodwork just added the stringers along the underside of the fuselage. The plan really is poor in this area, and I ended up adding packing strips to make the fus the right shape. Certainly not clear on the plan what the designer intended, but I got there in the end.

284.jpg

285.jpg

286.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Martian28/10/2019 18:15:58
2260 forum posts
1091 photos

To cold to cold i thought a hardy chap like you would be impervious to sub zero temperatures, as for the plan it seems the designer assumed you knew how he built his designs. I think early on the conclusion was reached the the plan was le s than perfect and not good enough for true scale so I personally accepted that it was prudent to build to get best results and adjusted as needed.

Danny Fenton28/10/2019 18:29:34
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

I have decided likewise. Things have moved much quicker once that was accepted.

My head is already thinking about the next two builds

Cheers

Danny

Martyn K28/10/2019 19:53:37
5005 forum posts
3658 photos

Mine is also currently on the next 2 outdoor scale builds, next two competitive glider builds, 3 indoor scale RC builds, a FF peanut citabria, a 1/4 scale glider build and a classic F3A for 2020 ukcaa events.

No wonder I struggle to get anything finished. Need to rationalise.

Martyn

Danny Fenton28/10/2019 20:12:22
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

Nonsense, always good to plan

Danny Fenton29/10/2019 18:30:21
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

A little more done today, Decided to play with the water and oil radiator shroud, the plan is not a bit like the full size so a bit extra shaping, but still only a facsimile.

287.jpg

288.jpg

289.jpg

One on the wing next, though these wont get attached until much later in the build.

The gotcha I was avoiding was that the undercarriage legs and ironwork/rigging would foul things, so just wanted to make sure.

Cheers

Danny

McG 696929/10/2019 18:41:37
2732 forum posts
1026 photos

Hi Danny,

Glad you are back in business.

For a 'facsimile', your radiator shroud looks seriously 'genuine'... wink

I can guess it will be a perfect place to hide your speed controller?

Following again with regained interest.

Cheers

Chris

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us