Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Colin Leighfield16/11/2019 16:38:08
5967 forum posts
2494 photos

Tissue on top of silk on the Chipmunk wing has given a super smooth hard surface. I originally hoped to get away with just the Japanese silk but it tore too easily, so did this thinking it was the wrong way round! However the result is actually very good. I’ve already got the nylon to go on the Fury and although it is best part of sixty years since I last used it my recollections are good. Also possible of course to put tissue on top of that! Messing around with this indoor stuff is holding me up again.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 16/11/2019 16:38:58

Danny Fenton17/11/2019 14:50:57
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

Hi Colin, interesting to know, I have not used normal nylon, I am using a nylon chiffon its awful for getting bubbles which need slitting very carefully so as not to damage the tissue underneath, but worth it in the end.

373.jpg

374.jpg

I masked off the tissue areas and glassed the front of my Fury. I have never tried this, so am not sure what will happen under the masking, hopefully it wont soak through and wreck things. Fingers crossed.

I have added peel ply to absorb the excess resin and give a primer ready finish, as I have shown before in videos and in my column in RCM&E.

There is lots of detail, scoops, vents etc, to add to the front, but I will do all that over the top of the resin finish. It took 30g or resin but probably a third of that will come back off with the peel ply. The perfect ratio of resin to cloth is 1:1 so 12g cloth to 12g of resin. I doubt I will hit that, I will have more resin than cloth

Just have to wait now.....

Cheers

Danny

McG 696917/11/2019 14:57:39
2729 forum posts
1024 photos

... just two words here > Superb Skills...

Cheers

Chris

Danny Fenton17/11/2019 15:51:10
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

If it works Chris, may all go horribly wrong

Danny Fenton17/11/2019 23:16:11
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

After 9 hours I was able to remove the peel ply. I usually leave it at least 12 hours but I was worried that the reason may have soaked through the tape, and a bit of flex might help. There was, and I think it did. If you remove the peel too soon you can lift the glass from the balsa, so be careful.....

With hindsight I think Martin was right to do the glass-work first. It would have been easier to leave a gap then fill the gap with filler afterwards. But you live and learn. I think what I have done will work, it will just be a bit more work to tidy the edges up. But if it were easy I wouldn't do it

375.jpg

I think from the above picture you can see the surface finish that using peel ply leaves? A bit like Solartex, a light sand to knock the edges off and its ready for primer. No flow coat needed.

376.jpg

So tomorrow I will attack the front with some 120 grit, then 240 and see where we are.

I have not completely ruled out alloy tape yet, though it is unlikely. May try a bit and see.

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton18/11/2019 14:51:09
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

Another video, this time glassing using peel ply

Cheers
Danny
Danny Fenton18/11/2019 18:12:11
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

Managed to sand the glass down, its very easy using peel ply.

However trying not to sand the tissue is a bit of a mare.....

Anyway added some primer to find the highs and lows, not as bad as I expected.

Still wondering if I should try some alloy tape, just to see.....

Distracted myself by looking at rib tapes. Aircraft of this period would have 2" wides strips of cloth, with the outer 1/4" inch on each edge frayed outwards.

Lots of ideas, but I think I will keep it simple and tear strips of Solartex

379.jpg

378.jpg

380.jpg

377.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton19/11/2019 11:33:36
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

Did a little more. One of the issues with the way that I did the glassing is the demarcation between tissue and glass was not clearly defined. I applied two layers of electrical tape and then used Davids Isopon P38 to sharpen the edge.

384.jpg

385.jpg

A bit of wet and dry sanding got a nice crisp edge.

382.jpg

You can also see I have been applying red stopper to try and get the front end in a fit shape for paint (or foil)

387.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Martin Fane19/11/2019 12:51:45
312 forum posts
319 photos

Hi Danny

Nice work, as usual.

I see what you are trying to achieve here ie to simulate metal panels overlapping fabric covering.

I was nervous about the masking issues and the potential to damage the tissue areas when masking for the glassing hence I glassed first.

I will now probably use your filler technique to extend my glassed area's over the edge of the tissued area's (that is when I get around to tissueing)

cheers

Martin

Martyn K19/11/2019 15:26:26
5005 forum posts
3658 photos

I can clearly see why you used those carbon caps on the stringers. They look amazing. Nice and crisp

Danny Fenton19/11/2019 15:26:55
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

Hi Martin, yes I think you are in a better position

Just tried a 20" prop

388.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton19/11/2019 17:02:45
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

Thanks Martyn, sorry didn't see your comment earlier The crisp transition will be even more noticeable when the paint goes on hopefully.

Chris came over for a coffee and showed me the prototype spinner, more 3D wizardry But I will save showing you that until it is perfected, but it looks ace, thanks Chris.

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton19/11/2019 23:18:59
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

Okay I couldn't resist trying the foil..... 390.jpgProbably a mistake as it is nigh on impossible to remove sigh...

Anyway, innitially it looked like foil..... but after some wet and dry with 1200 and soap, then 0000 wire wool and a polish with some solvol it looks better?

393.jpg

Smoother and less shiny. Not like The modern preserved airframe, such as at Duxford, but perhaps more like one in active service? What do you reckon?? Am I misleading myself??

Answers to deluded Danny c/o RCM&E

Martyn K20/11/2019 09:20:38
5005 forum posts
3658 photos

I have to admit I saw the first shot and shuddered. The rework looks great though. Very good indeed

Well done. How tough is the foil though will it withstand normal handling or do you have to be super gentle with it.

Martyn

Martian20/11/2019 09:40:26
2260 forum posts
1091 photos

I like it Danny the in service look is what I opted for even fully restored aircraft with polished Ali are not flawless so I feel it is more realistic, and yes Martyn the foil is reasonably tough but will suffer a tear if nicked

Danny Fenton20/11/2019 09:48:33
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

Thanks guys the honesty is appreciated. I was with you Martyn eeeek!.... The under surface is really smooth and quite hard. The tape really sticks to a good surface and seems fairly tough. I really struggled to get an errant piece back off. The shiny cheap ducting foil shows finger prints and would be a mare. the distressed is better in that regard.

394.jpg

I tried some Mick Reeves MetalCoat just to see if it was any better, the surface is slightly less shiny, and in fairness it goes on better, after a quick rub with steel wool, I think it looks better, perhaps a little thicker and more even in thickness. I better order some more as i only have a small bit left.

Cheers

Danny

Manish Chandrayan20/11/2019 11:01:49
606 forum posts
70 photos

I (we) knew you were going to try that foil wink

And we say it looks good, go on with ityes

Danny Fenton20/11/2019 11:19:14
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

Hi Manish, So did I deep down. Not the same as litho plate but much much easier. But you still need a hard finsish underneath, hence the glassing.

Martin Fane has done some quick tests comparing FliteMetal and Mick Reeves Metalcoat. He think the Flitemetal slightly thicker. So I have some of both coming May do something else and come back to the sticky back metal in a few days.

Might look at the cockpit now. As I am throttling right back on the detail, I will keep it simple

Cheers

Danny

Martian20/11/2019 13:53:20
2260 forum posts
1091 photos

On no not loads of metal tape this is as bad as the silk saga will it ever end 😱 lol

Danny Fenton20/11/2019 14:02:21
9290 forum posts
4117 photos

Gosh I flaming hope so. Anyway I blame you

Just sprayed primer on the upper wing centre section, lower surface. This was silk over tissue, and about a dozen coats of dope. The primer looks like it has been sprayed over carpet..... sigh. Clearly the additional silk was still not sealed. I will sand it back, being careful not to go through the tissue over the ribs and see how it feels then.

My KlassKote Silver has arrived and I will try a coat. Then I can fit the wing to the centre-section permanently.

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 20/11/2019 14:02:48

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us