Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Danny Fenton02/05/2020 19:12:36
9633 forum posts
4450 photos

A little more done today, the upper surface was covered. To give an idea of the level of wrinkles you can get away with when wet tissue is going over sealed tissue, this is it:

456.jpg

Fortunately after a couple of hours they should all have gone and you can carry on sealing the tissue with dope and banana oil.

Starboard wing panel complete, ready for tapes now....

457.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton03/05/2020 00:15:11
9633 forum posts
4450 photos

Started to mess around with rib tapes. But first underneath the rib tapes are the tapes that cover the seams between the sections of fabric to make the wing bags.

I have used heavy-weight tissue from RC Model World. This is an 8 gsm material and the strips are cut 6mm wide. I apply it wet to soften the edge. The strips running through a water bath and over the side to scrape off the excess.

458.jpg

459.jpg

460.jpg

461.jpg

I was only going to do the upper surfaces but seeing as Martin went to all the effort of doing the underside as well, I suppose I had better follow suit.

Rib tapes next.

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton03/05/2020 15:45:11
9633 forum posts
4450 photos

Okay maybe a re-think is in order...... an hour to add rib tapes to one side of one wing panel.......

462.jpg

I think I am going back to plan A and only doing the upper surfaces Sorry Martin!

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton03/05/2020 15:48:17
9633 forum posts
4450 photos

Andy has logic checked my comment about this being 8 GSM tissue. of course that's rubbish this stuff is more like 80 GSM!!! anyway its like cardboard......the packaging says 8 GSM angry

Thanks for the sanity check Andy.

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton03/05/2020 21:45:22
9633 forum posts
4450 photos

Okay a whole day and just the tops of two upper wing panels taped...... crikey this is a slog.

463.jpg

But on the plus side the wings will have lots of depth when painted, silver will show all the underlying detail.

Cheers

Danny

Eric Robson03/05/2020 23:23:00
266 forum posts
49 photos
Posted by Danny Fenton on 03/05/2020 21:45:22:

Okay a whole day and just the tops of two upper wing panels taped...... crikey this is a slog.

463.jpg

But on the plus side the wings will have lots of depth when painted, silver will show all the underlying detail.

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny, I'm just finding out why it was 30 years since I made my last true scale biplane, it is a slog.

On another thread you have what looks like a Seagull Mosquito. what is your opinion of it?. I was thinking of getting one until I watched you tube part one and part two when it got to part two the flying part it was written off second flight after repairs from the maiden flight crash. He was using 12x8 props where as you had 20" could be a lack of power as he said it was turned too slow and stalled where as the maiden flight it tip stalled on landing approach .Not very good publicity for Seagull.

Cheers Eric.

p s Great shot of the Mossie.

Edited By Eric Robson on 03/05/2020 23:34:36

Danny Fenton04/05/2020 09:36:06
9633 forum posts
4450 photos

Hi Eric, the Seagull Mossie is actually nice to fly, though must confess it has not seen much activity, I don't fly my models as much as I should. I found that the instructions gave a rearward C of G and it resulted in some entertaining moments, once the C of G was moved forward all the pitching issues were sorted and it could be flown much slower.

Yes an 8 pitch is too low. The 20 x 12" props also gave a massive slow and wide column of air over the tail, so rudder authority was great and it tracked straight on takeoff, even with same direction rotation on the props. There wasn#t a great deal of power, I simply used a low voltage, low KV and big props.
sorry its not a great video......

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 04/05/2020 09:38:14

Eric Robson04/05/2020 10:57:34
266 forum posts
49 photos

Thanks Danny, what a great flying field, compared to ours we are more like landing on an aircraft carrier. I was thinking 5055/06 560kv motors would be needed but I would be happy with the performance of yours. Still nothing decided until end of lock down.

Better not drift off topic so back to the Fury,

Cheers Eric.

Danny Fenton04/05/2020 21:54:33
9633 forum posts
4450 photos

not much to show for an evenings work. I have completed the upper surface rib tapes on all 4 wing panels. Applied another 4 coats of banana oil on all the wing tapes, then another 2 coats over the whole panel.

Just the hint of a sheen now which is where I want to be.

I will move on to that wing fairing now. Martin has done an excellent job on his so I see no reason why I shouldn't copy. I assume he used Flite Metal over glassed shaped balsa.

But just out of curiosity I thought I would weigh the completed wing panels, which are ready for paint.

464.jpg

The numbers on the right are the totals, astounded......exactly the same.

How do others wing panels compare, sort of frightened to ask. Mine feel fairly light, but remember the center sections are not included.

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 04/05/2020 21:55:24

Eric Robson05/05/2020 08:31:24
266 forum posts
49 photos

Hi Danny, my lower wing which is one piece is covered with Oratex weighs 294g. As it won't be painted the only extra weight will be the roundels and numbers. As the centre section is sheeted and has more ply I think it will probably work out the same as yours.

Cheers Eric.

Martin Fane05/05/2020 08:51:11
343 forum posts
368 photos

Hi Danny

Ref the fairings - yes that exactly how I did mine.

Ref wing panel weights. I am the winner sad300g and 311g my excuse is the ailerons are painted !!

cheers

Martin

Danny Fenton05/05/2020 08:55:51
9633 forum posts
4450 photos

Thanks chaps, that is interesting. Just weighed the lower wing center section Eric, and it is 92g, but is in bare balsa, yet to be covered. So total so far for the lower wing is 248g. Once painted I doubt there will be a lot in it.

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton05/05/2020 22:43:44
9633 forum posts
4450 photos

Started looking at the fairings. They are made all the more tricky on mine as I was not intending to fit any, the Nimrod doesn't have them.

Anyway with the change of heart I have had to add them. The trouble is the area around the fairings is tissue covered, and the slightest slip could wreck areas of that, so I need to take care.

The areas were built up with balsa, and whittled and sanded until low and behold a fairing emerged

465.jpg

Sanded to shape

466.jpg

On both sides

467.jpg

Glassed with resin and 25 gsm cloth

468.jpg

and trimmed, probably add a flow coat tomorrow.

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton06/05/2020 22:40:29
9633 forum posts
4450 photos

Flow coat added eventually was a busy day.....

Will be hard enough to sand tomorrow.

Moved on to the cockpit. I usually relish a cockpit, but alas with this model I am losing the faith.

So I added a shelf to sit my pilot bust. I also dug out a rather splendid dashboard that Tony 3d printed for me and stuck bits randomly about. I will get the airbrush out tomorrow and see what I can do. need to print some dial faces too.

Not much to report I am afraid.

Charlie looked pleased with progress though, and was caught in the cockpit on several occasions, making engine sounds.....

470.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Eric Robson07/05/2020 09:22:03
266 forum posts
49 photos

Hi Danny, those fairings look good reminded me I have to do mine. Slow progress at the moment enjoying the sunshine and gardening. I will have to try glassing some time, your tutorial made it look not too difficult. I imagined mine would be an expensive gooey mess so I have avoided it .

Cheers Eric.

Danny Fenton07/05/2020 09:53:22
9633 forum posts
4450 photos

Hi Eric, thanks. Was beginning to think I was talking to myself LOL

Glassing is not difficult at all, it is about having the right materials, chemicals, tools and being prepared.

If the cloth wont lay flat as it does in the videos, then the cloth is not quality. I have had loads explain what they are finding, and resorting to hanging clothes pegs around the perimeter etc. Don't even try to glass a 90 degree sharp edge, any radius and you will be fine. If its sharp, do it in two pieces.

Anyway on my soap-box again lol

Get yourself some .1g scales, the last thing you want is to have the resin not go off, been there once and its not nice.

Cheers

Danny

Martian07/05/2020 10:20:51
2529 forum posts
1163 photos

Hi Danny your not talking to yourself not many comments on so many posts , as always impeccable work Danny looking forward to the finish ed model . It may be next year before we can have a fury gathering which will be something to look forward to.

Danny Fenton07/05/2020 10:40:31
9633 forum posts
4450 photos

That's good to know, and yes getting the Furites together is something to look forward to for sure.

Cheers

Danny

Jose L. G.07/05/2020 11:06:45
223 forum posts
194 photos

Hi, Danny.

Still hunging here. Good progrees

Cheers.

josé Luis

Martyn K07/05/2020 13:38:45
5085 forum posts
3678 photos

Hi Danny

What do you do about glassing the pointed end of a trailing edge. Do you just cover and trim top and bottom and sand back flush?

Martyn

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!