Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Danny Fenton07/05/2020 15:00:11
9633 forum posts
4450 photos

Hi Martyn, yes exactly, I glass the top, and the bottom separately, sanding flush. If it is a particularly thick trailing edge then do just the vertical face of the trailing edge as a separate piece. I have never had the need, but some pattern models use thick trailing edges to improve airflow and reduce flutter?? Not sure I understand the aerodynamics completely.

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton07/05/2020 18:11:07
9633 forum posts
4450 photos

Messed around with the 3D printed panel that Tony had done for us.

Scaled and printed some dials.

473.jpg

Got the airbrush out and dusted a grey over the panel, should have been a beige colour or natural alloy but I made it up as I went along.

474.jpg

May end up painting this model as the originally intended Nimrod, as I do like the color scheme, and we have wandered away from true scale.....what do you think?

Tried something for the dials, dropped finishing resin into the bezels, see how it looks.

475.jpg

Had not expected the white paper to dis-colour, Doh! but hey, may still look sort of like like a panel.

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 07/05/2020 18:13:28

Eric Robson07/05/2020 21:53:46
266 forum posts
49 photos

Hi Danny, I would go ahead and paint it like a Nimrod as the more I look at photos and compare the details the less true scale the D Bryant Fury becomes. However there is no mistaking what it is and in the air it definitely looks good. I have been thinking of painting mine in a camouflage scheme if I can't get the silver to look right. Your tempting me with the Nimrod finish as it is very attractive. That dash is very good,are they available or is it a one off?

Cheers Eric.

Danny Fenton07/05/2020 22:01:56
9633 forum posts
4450 photos

Thanks Eric, it doesn't look terrible. A member Tony Bennett did a full set of 3D parts, loads of bits, oleo covers, radiator shroud, panels, guns and wheel covers I think, they all look great and save a load of work. If you look on his thread you will see many of the parts he used.

Not sure if he still has the files and could print a set? Tony are you looking in?

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton08/05/2020 17:20:22
9633 forum posts
4450 photos

Might be worth contacting Tony directly Eric....

Continued the cockpit saga, messed around with Tony's excellent Vickers, but alas due to the height of my dash, possibly a fraction too high I couldn't make them fit. The depth also means you only really need small section.

I was impressed with them and whiled away an hour whittling and sanding one. Well done Tony. I think you did the right thing by doing your cockpit before skinning the fuselage.

477.jpg

so the dash was bashed about a bit, looks more like the bulkhead from a recovered U-Boat, ah well, as "Dave Platt would say less is more" well more is just too much..... Ah well. My not so good day continues....

476.jpg

Sanded the fairings, then primed, filled and sanded some more. Then it was out with the flite metal, new No 11 blade and my pot of acetone to lube the blade.

479.jpg

480.jpg

Not brilliant but we are making progress.

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton10/05/2020 14:22:38
9633 forum posts
4450 photos

Took a look at the upper cowl, and because I had used the cheap Halfords foil, which is very thin when compared to the Mick Reeve's Metal Coat, and the Ed Stephen's Flite Metal. Anyway the foil was blistering and really was poor.

I removed the two litho plate blisters, and spent nearly an hour taking the foil off, to say it was stuck is an understatement. As can be seen a little damage was done to the cowl removing the blisters. So repairs were carried out and the surface re-paired. The celly primer is hardening off ready for some 1200 wet sanding.

481.jpg

482.jpg

In the mean time I decided to add the rest of the tapes to the tail-plane. I had started by using torn Solartex over the tissue covered nylon, so I thought I would continue, though a little voice in my head is suggesting I use tissue. This model is about experimenting with coverings, so lets keep going.

483.jpg

However the fin and rudder will be done with tissue, but this time a medium weight, for comparison to the heavyweight tapes on the wings.

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 10/05/2020 14:24:51

Danny Fenton10/05/2020 23:38:56
9633 forum posts
4450 photos

Didn't bother with any pictures but added the rib tapes to the fin and rudder, this time with medium tissue. After three coats of dope, I am worried they will not show up through the primer, never mind the silver!

Anyway, by this time the primer was hard enough to hit with 400, then 600, then 1200 used wet.

The cowl was much better prepped this time, with an excellent surface.

484.jpg

486.jpg

Blue electrical tape was used to highlight the edge of the panel.

I did the upper cowl in five sections due to the compound curve, three for the actual cowl and two for the gun troughs

489.jpg

The gun troughs were outlined and done last, I wanted the trough to wrap over the cowl sections with a visible lip.

491.jpg

Added the bulges back on and a quick wipe over with some Solvol-Autosol, well you have to don't you?

493.jpg

Lets see how that looks.....

494.jpg

Well pleased with that. Much better than it was a few days ago, and well worth the not inconsiderate amount of remedial work involved. Still a few blemishes, I think caused by the 25 gsm cloth being a bit thin in places due to the sanding. For such a high contact area, maybe a slightly heavier cloth would have been better.

That's it for now, radiator next I think

Cheers

Danny

Martyn K11/05/2020 08:06:43
5085 forum posts
3678 photos

Looks fantastic Danny. Superb, that was well wotrth the effort.

Martyn

Eric Robson11/05/2020 08:50:42
266 forum posts
49 photos

Well wirth the effort to make the front side panels as one piece instead of the separate cowl. Lovely work Danny.

Eric.

Danny Fenton11/05/2020 09:23:34
9633 forum posts
4450 photos

Thanks both, getting my mojo back for sure.

Just trying to fathom out how Martin replicated the radiator on his, I have an idea of how I might attempt it, but always happy to copy

Cheers

Danny

Martyn K11/05/2020 09:35:12
5085 forum posts
3678 photos

What did you print the dials onto Danny? Puzzled why they went grey..

Now you have made such a beautiful job of your cowl, are you going to age/weather it?

Martyn

Danny Fenton11/05/2020 09:44:39
9633 forum posts
4450 photos

Hi Martyn, I just printed on plain paper, should have used photo paper really, but they are so fiddly to cut out, and the pouring resin was a last minute decision. It would work fine on black dials I am sure.

You have to keep sinking the dials, as any trapped air (causing those lighter areas) will float the dial to the surface of the resin, a poke with a pin every now and then sorted it.

Cheers

Danny

Jose L. G.11/05/2020 10:18:45
223 forum posts
194 photos

Hi Danny.

That cowl looks fantastic ¡

Congratulations.

José Luis

Martin Fane11/05/2020 11:03:39
343 forum posts
368 photos

Hi Danny

Cowl looks great, well worth the effort of recovering, now for the rivets wink

Regarding my radiator, initially it was in 2 parts and the plan was to have those fixed on the fuselage and wing centre section. I think you then pointed oit the difficulty of assembly using this method so.....

Radiator halves were joined together and will fix to the model using magnets.

The centre section of the radiator was detailed suing plastic sections (square and half round to try to simulate the structure then PVA rivets and tamiya aluminium paint. this allows the join line of the 2 parts to be hidden.

The front and rear sections were covered in our favourite Flitemetal foil, managed to go around some of the curves in one but there are several pieces for the more difficult areas.

Now for the inlet slats.........

cheers

Martin

Colin Leighfield11/05/2020 11:09:00
5996 forum posts
2503 photos

It looks wonderful, beautiful workmanship as usual. I have dusted mine down and refreshed my memory as to where I am with it. One more indoor project to finish before I get started again though, I’ve got a bee in my bonnet.

Danny Fenton11/05/2020 12:17:32
9633 forum posts
4450 photos

Thanks chaps nice to hear from you all, and thanks for the encouragement. Ye Colin you need to get back on your Fury

Thanks Martin, The effect of the fluted section in the middle of your rad looks like litho plate, very nice.

I have just glassed the rad housing, and also shaped a 550mm long length of 1/4 x 3/32 into airfoil section. Its then had a coating of resin. It will then be sanded and cut into ten sections. Lets see how that works out?

496.jpg

497.jpg

No idea why this blessed forum is now rotating portrait format pictures, last night it did it for the first time, and it has done it just now. I have posted over 4000 pictures over the years and this has just started......

I will foil the radiator as you have, and take it from there.

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton11/05/2020 16:37:31
9633 forum posts
4450 photos

so swung my attention to the undercarriage. I stripped some medium 1/8 balsa into 3mm wide strips, (excuse me for mixing my imperial and metric) the strips were notched to clear the cross-brace brackets and shaped, then clamped and glued to the piano wire struts. The struts are wrapped in fabric on the full size so I did likewise, I used my heavyweight tissue cut in 6mm wide strips, dipped in water and then doped down. Not quite to scale but looks right even if i isn't

499.jpg

501.jpg

502.jpg

Moving on to the wheels and the oleo covers, depends which parts I am able to find in the workshop first

Cheers

Danny

Martian11/05/2020 16:47:16
2529 forum posts
1163 photos

Loving your work Danny and the Fury resurgence tempted to drag my Fury out give it a little dusting and polish and sort out the N wing struts .

Danny Fenton11/05/2020 21:04:36
9633 forum posts
4450 photos

Go For it sir, don't need an excuse but there does seem to be some activity and enthusiasm at present

Remind me, what was the issue with the struts?

I managed a little more this evening. I picked up a set of laser cut wheel discs that Martin F cadded and SLEC cut. I have shown them before. Martin bolted his together, but I could see no reason why they couldn't be glued? Martin will dive in here and give me the obvious reason crook

Anyway they are now glued, and bored slightly to accept the 6mm bearings, which fit the axle perfectly, Bearings.co.uk rings a bell, but I cannot be sure....

503.jpg

I had to wade back through my blog to find the length of the neoprene and it was 245mm. Made a bit of a mess with the CA and stuck myself to the tyre, then the wheel then the hand cloth, perhaps I should call it a day and have a glass of wine.

Anybody notice I was off work today smile p

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 11/05/2020 21:05:21

Martian11/05/2020 21:34:08
2529 forum posts
1163 photos

Re the N struts I couldn't get them to just sit right between the wings it seemed to need the wings compressing I had read that even when correctly rigged they had a tendency to pop out so as I have just said to Eric I need to completely tidy and clear my bench to give me room to set it up and do some measuring and alignment checking.

I printed my wheels and used neoprene tires was a mess to CA them I glued to the second one of the wheel and rolled it on. Bit of a nuisance I am now sensitive to CA ( eyes nose chest and skin ).look forward to more

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!