Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Danny Fenton23/05/2020 17:55:37
9635 forum posts
4451 photos

It clearly makes sense to spray these parts before assembly, but the tail-plane has to be fixed before the tail rigging, and the struts. I am sure I am jumping the gun, but it's done now.

I triple checked all the angles and triangulated the tail plane tip to a forward central reference. I checked the wing was true to the fus, and the tops of bearers. And trued the tail-plane, to this datum. 30 minute epoxy is the order of the day here.

I added two sections of bamboo skewers to align the tailplane as I lowered it on to the fuselage. It also helped keep things true as I added a small amount of weight to the port tip to bring the indicated 0.1 to 0.0

580.jpg

581.jpg

582.jpg

583.jpg

Then you sit and watch, constantly checking as the epoxy starts to stiffen, only then can you relax.

I have glued things, wandered off only to return when the glue has set to find something had moved ARGHHHHH!

Not so in this case the epoxy has turned and is hardening such that nothing will move now. Time for a coffee.

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton23/05/2020 19:30:47
9635 forum posts
4451 photos

well once the tail-plane was dry and checked again, even though it's too late now....

584.jpg

I started looking at the fin. This needed a fair bit of manipulation to the ply stern post to make it vertical, but in the end all was good.

The slots in the fin and rudder were fettled to make sure they aligned, then the hinges wrapped in masking tape to give a snug fit in the fin and the rudder. The hinges were oiled with very light machine oil and the hinges glued to the fin. I will add the rudder after the red white and blue bands are added.

585.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Eric Robson24/05/2020 08:52:50
266 forum posts
49 photos

Yours is going great Danny, never touched mine for three days. I said I would not do any thing else till it is finished then they eased the lock down restrictions. Could not resist the call of the flying field, I now have 4 planes ready to go so back to the Fury today as it is too windy to fly.

Cheers Eric.

Edited By Eric Robson on 24/05/2020 08:53:58

Danny Fenton24/05/2020 12:43:36
9635 forum posts
4451 photos

Thanks Eric, really appreciate your thoughts.

I don't really enjoy flying, I enjoy the company. And for me flying is practice for competition so never particularly relaxed. But with the right company I do enjoy it. But given the choice I would rather be tucked up in my workshop.

I suffered the first twang of nerves today, thoughts of "Oh Crikey!" I am not that far off having to fly this thing.....

Anyway I ripped the tail-plane rigging back off and have gone for a simple soldered solution. These wires are not really structural so I think I will get away with it?

586.jpg

Front wire will be similar. I wont fix them all, once I have proof of concept I can move on, and fit after paint.

Do I recall somebody posting the artwork for the fin emblem for K5674? Cockerel in the cream arrow head?

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton24/05/2020 15:36:07
9635 forum posts
4451 photos

Once the top wires were sorted I could then move on to the underside tubes.

I used 5/32 K&S tubes, gently squashed to an oval, before flattening the ends. The bends at the ends take some getting right, but I got there in the end.

589.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Colin Leighfield24/05/2020 17:13:56
5996 forum posts
2503 photos

It doesn’t half look good, as they say!

Danny Fenton24/05/2020 17:54:47
9635 forum posts
4451 photos

Thx Colin, starting to enjoy it more now

Eric Robson24/05/2020 20:18:46
266 forum posts
49 photos

Hi Danny . page 59 of the Fury mass build blog for the cockerel art work, but I think you Knew that and were testing the class. The back end of yours is coming together nicely, now you will have to do all the stitching.

Cheers Eric.

Danny Fenton24/05/2020 20:27:33
9635 forum posts
4451 photos

Thanks Eric, the only one awake........ Two house points to Gryffindor

No I don't think I can be arsed to do the laces, on the litho it works well but on the foil areas it doesn't look crisp.

The rear end rigging is complete. It will all come off for painting, but I am happy that everything fits. It needed the tail to be solid.

I think I will take on a few detail areas in litho, carb intakes, a couple of access hatches just in front of the fin and some footsteps, before facing the elephant in the room, the wing rigging....

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 24/05/2020 20:27:58

Martian24/05/2020 21:09:29
2529 forum posts
1163 photos

Aha the dreaded wing rigging oo aar

your Fury is looking really really good dam you wink

Danny Fenton24/05/2020 23:04:41
9635 forum posts
4451 photos

Why thank you sir teeth 2

I do get the feeling everyone is waiting for the rigging..........

Cheers

Danny

john stones 124/05/2020 23:10:50
11546 forum posts
1517 photos

I'm waiting for the maiden flight video. wink

Looking very good Danny. yes

Danny Fenton24/05/2020 23:13:45
9635 forum posts
4451 photos

Lol Thanks John.

Yes, I think we are all waiting for one of those crook

I had thought one would have flown by now?

Colin Leighfield25/05/2020 00:30:49
5996 forum posts
2503 photos

I’m determined to finish the PC6 indoor project, then I’ll clear the bench and get on with the Fury.

Jose L. G.25/05/2020 09:42:32
223 forum posts
194 photos

Looking good Danny.

The logo in the tail is in the pics you loaded for all of us.......

040k5674--g-cbzp_5988271228_o.jpg

Cheers.

José L.

Danny Fenton25/05/2020 11:19:58
9635 forum posts
4451 photos

How very clever of me, shame I had clean forgotten about it!!

That's clean enough to cut around, reverse and print on white Decal sheet I reckon. Probably the largest decal I have ever done however, I would prefer to spray and do masks, but that would be very complex.

Cheers

Danny

McG 696925/05/2020 18:18:31
3252 forum posts
1236 photos

Hi Danny,

I'm silently following your Masterclass build since you seemed eager again to eat the elephant...

Regarding the forgotten 'cock', when you write "white Decal sheet", do you mean 'water transfer' sheet?

If so, allow me to have a tip.

Water transfer decals are so thin that they often show or get 'dulled' by the underlying colour. Especially your 'burgundy red' could shine through the 'ice cream' background.

The trick here is to transfer your decals to a white vinyl adhesive before cutting them down and to cut both layers in one go. I made roundels with a diameter of 180mm - including the WW1 weathering - this way and they were great.

I had the best results with the very thin MacTac white vinyl for printers. It is used for large pro printers for the full wrapping of commercial vehicles.

Even if it's very thin, it offers the benefit of having a medium grey layer at the back of the vinyl.

This works perfectly as a 'barrier' to block the colometric influence of the underlying colour.

Hope this can help if you were writing about water transfer sheets.

Cheers & keep safe

Chris

Danny Fenton25/05/2020 18:56:06
9635 forum posts
4451 photos

Hi Chris, great to have you keeping an eye on our antics

That is an excellent idea, now if only they did that ultra thin vinyl in the off-white cream colour then it would be perfect

However, I had thought of this, and was going to just do the "cock" as a water slide transfer, will always be a decal to me

I was intending spraying the lighter arrow head base, before the red, then black outline. The decal would then sit on the off-white paint.

I would be interested to try some of the vinyl though if you can point me to a supplier of modelling amounts? All the vinyls I have are too think for this sort of thing.

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton25/05/2020 22:41:47
9635 forum posts
4451 photos

Okay I think it's time for the elephant in the room.......

If this doesn't prove to you that the Hawker Fury IS the finest biplane the RAF ever had then you are blind......

590.jpg

591.jpg

592.jpg

I have been studying the Mick Reeves turnbuckles and they are a work of art. And I have a plan.

Now where is the blow torch and the silver solder.....

McG 696926/05/2020 07:17:52
3252 forum posts
1236 photos

Hi Danny,

I'm afraid the Mactac people only produce a white version - matte or glossy / permanent or removable - as it is supposed to be printed anyway.

The rolls are 140cm wide for a length of something like 50m... so I only use some small offcuts from my signman.

I guess the best for some 'modelling dimensions' is to get contact with your local signman as well.

Now if you are painting the cream colour, as it is a very light tint, I suppose the cock decal on itself would be fine enough.

Good luck

Cheers

Chris

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!