Forum sponsored by CML

S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Eric Robson26/05/2020 08:54:07
265 forum posts
49 photos
Posted by Danny Fenton on 25/05/2020 22:41:47:

Okay I think it's time for the elephant in the room.......

If this doesn't prove to you that the Hawker Fury IS the finest biplane the RAF ever had then you are blind.

Hi Danny it looks great all the ribs and riblets showing, it is beautiful. but at the risk of detention and a hundred lines my favourite is still the Gloster Gladiator.

Cheers Eric.

Danny Fenton26/05/2020 08:55:35
9631 forum posts
4449 photos

Thanks Eric, and yep detention it is, see me after class

Cheers

Danny

Eric Robson26/05/2020 10:03:53
265 forum posts
49 photos
Posted by Danny Fenton on 26/05/2020 08:55:35:

Thanks Eric, and yep detention it is, see me after class

Cheers

Danny

See you after lockdown I hope! smiley.

Martyn K26/05/2020 10:21:18
5085 forum posts
3678 photos

Danny, that looks superb

BTW, regarding decal sheet, you can always spray paint the sheet first, let it dry then print, let it dry then seal with car lacquer

Martyn

Danny Fenton26/05/2020 10:29:39
9631 forum posts
4449 photos

I am looking forward to it

A Masterclass gathering would be really nice.

Colin Leighfield26/05/2020 12:08:56
5996 forum posts
2503 photos

I’ve probably said it before but dad used to tell me about his visits to Hendon pre-war and the RAF aerobatic displays with the Fury and later the Gauntlet. He loved them both but in his opinion the Gauntlet was the best. Reading the experiences of pilots who flew the Fury, Gauntlet and Gladiator, what comes out is that the best flyer of the lot was the Gauntlet. Although the Gladiator was really a developed Gauntlet and had a better performance, I imagine that the extra weight including that of four guns might have taken away some of the edge in handling finesse.
Camm didn’t originate the idea that kicked off the lineage of Hart and Fury biplanes. They arose from a request from the RAF that didn’t want to be dependent on Fairey and the American Curtiss engine after the Fox had proved so superior to anything else in service at the time. They approached Rolls Royce to match the engine that had enabled the fine lines of the Fox and that originated the Kestrel. The Kestrel enabled Hawker to maximise the aerodynamic advantage from that low frontal area engine in the Hornet/Fury and the Hart series of two seaters, all of which served so well for so many years. Really, when you look back on it, Fairey had a raw deal out of it because Hawker got most of the benefit from ideas that they instigated, those being derived from the success of the Curtiss racing seaplanes with their own V-12 engine. If you follow that through, you can see that the Hurricane had a relationship with the Schneider Trophy as well as the Spitfire, but it’s not recognised. The Fury was the finest of its time, but probably not the finest of the lot. There is still one Gauntlet flying in the world, in Finland. It has been re-engined with an Alvis Leonides I think, so looks slightly different. Even though, wouldn’t it be fantastic to see it fly! I don’t think there are any other survivors, sadly.

Danny Fenton26/05/2020 12:31:38
9631 forum posts
4449 photos

Thanks Chris, we will see how it goes. I will hold the vinyl route as a backup plan

Grasped the nettle and tried to do one of the landing wires. As the two landing wires are anchored from the same point, I first made a spreader plate out of the scrap bits on Ernie's wonderful brass etchings.

Next I dipped the end of the piano wire in the flux, heated and added a blob of solder. Same for the fork end. Once both were soldered I brought the two together with some heat and when the solder flowed held it still and straight.

Voila.

593.jpg

Actually not difficult. I unfortunately do not seem to have a min grinding wheel to hand, will have to get one to tidy up the ends.

594.jpg

595.jpg

But you get the idea....

Anybody used these before and have any ideas how you anchor these? thread-lock perhaps?

Cheers

Danny

Martyn K26/05/2020 12:37:12
5085 forum posts
3678 photos

Hi Danny

I assume that the Fury does not use streamline wires. I am trying to remember.

Martyn

Danny Fenton26/05/2020 12:41:46
9631 forum posts
4449 photos

Hi Martyn it does indeed use oval wires, but I am using single round wire for a couple of reasons. The flattened wire means you can only turn it in 180 increments round gives you infinite adjustment.

Secondly the forward lifting wires are dual, and I want to use two rounds wires close together to achieve this. Granted this wire will only be adjustable in 180 degrees chunks. The flattened wire would look too much (IMO).

Anyway we will see?

Cheers

Danny

Eric Robson26/05/2020 14:04:01
265 forum posts
49 photos

Hi Danny, looking at your set up is there a left hand and right hand end on your wires? As I understood the Mick Reeves ends were 1 right and 1 end which had a ferrule on the end inside the fork which allowed the wire to turn and take up the slack. 2 rights will not alter the length of the wire. I made my wires to rotate in the fork but I am not to confident of my soft soldering and was thinking o doing it as per. plan.

Cheers Eric.

Just looked at the M.R. site and see there is a bolt through an unthreaded fork I'll go and stand in the corner 

Edited By Eric Robson on 26/05/2020 14:24:40

Danny Fenton26/05/2020 14:26:56
9631 forum posts
4449 photos

Hi Eric, you are correct, the Mick Reeves ends spin freely at one end, and the other ends shortens/lengthens the wire. All lockable.

This is all new to me, I said at the start of this Masterclass, every one of us should be extending ourselves into an area we have not done before, this is my new area.

I am relying on the fact that Mick states these will take the load of a big 1/3 Strutter, so at this scale we should be okay. I am nervous, of course I am, it would be foolish not to be. I am using piano wire not the 1/16 flattened steel that he provides. But that is not different to the plans use of soft solder.

Hope it will be okay, the joints have flowed really well and feel very secure. Touch wood!

All four landing wires are now done, and I am confident with the process, I think I need the struts next.

Cheers

Danny

Eric Robson26/05/2020 22:55:40
265 forum posts
49 photos

Hi Danny, you won't regret going that way ,as I said earlier taking the link off to adjust it is no fun. I was not keen 0n soldering the wire to the end of a bolt I see you got your brass from the same source as me. I hope to test fly mine soon still a lot of fiddley bits but I think the test flight will be before squadron markings.

Cheers Eric.

SR 7127/05/2020 04:20:20
450 forum posts
140 photos

I just used the lock nut, the very small screw that holds it to the bracket held itself without anything on it, the model it was on had a DLE 55 for power so there was plenty of vibration

Danny Fenton27/05/2020 08:04:25
9631 forum posts
4449 photos

Hi Eric, having bought the fork ends as pairs, to abandon using one end would mean removing the end and rotating to adjust, as you say very fiddly. As you are getting both ends, use them.

My problem is going to be adjusting the rigging. On the full size you have tension gauges that tell you the tension in a given wire. I have four panels just like the full size, and though the wing joining rods set an approximate angle it is fairly easy to alter this with line tension. I am also concerned that the lower wings could swing forward too easily, so I may need additional wing retention.

Thanks for the info SR71, knowing the screws stay put is comforting, how did you adjust the wires to get everything under the same tension while maintaining incidence angles etc?

I taped a wing strut together last evening to check the fit and it appears spot on, so rather than build them on the model, I will make them on the bench, and keep my fingers crossed. I have to make two sets, one with weights and lead outs for control line and another std set.

Cheers

Danny

Eric Robson27/05/2020 10:57:00
265 forum posts
49 photos

Hi Danny, it was a long time ago when I built the Bulldog but from what I can remember I bolted the wings on then put the struts in which were built as per plan. Assuming incidences are correct , I measured the distance between the wings front and rear and fitted the wires. Any discrepancy in the distance between the wings can be adjusted on the wire provided you don't pull a warp into the wing, if you have an incidence gauge it will be useful. with the wings set, the wires I found just a little pull to get the clips in was about the right tension, you have the advantage of being able to tension with them in place. The one thing you don't want is slack wires so just enough to stop them rattling in the anchor points, this can be tricky as when one is tensioned another tends to slacken so it is a chasing game checking all the time. I hope this does not put you off as it is not as bad as it seems as long as you have patience. I always checked the wires after every flying session or after a heavy landing . I have come across a major problem mine won't fit in the car built up. I have a bigger car than when I had the Bulldog but the boot area it less due to storage places built in.

Cheers Eric.

Martian27/05/2020 11:10:15
2529 forum posts
1163 photos

I found you can tension the wires by plucking and listening for the note even better if you have a electronic guitar tuner

Danny Fenton27/05/2020 12:36:50
9631 forum posts
4449 photos

Thanks Chaps, the wires are easily adjusted without removing either end, just slacken off a lock nut. I will aim for an even but light tension and check the incidences during the process.

I am hoping to transport it rigged, we will have to see if it will go in my Mondeo estate rigged....

Cheers

Danny

Eric Robson27/05/2020 14:03:33
265 forum posts
49 photos

My guitar tuner wont tune mine to b flat demented Martian, The boot floor drops on my car and I can get it in but only with the fin and rudder off. Time to change the car!

Cheers Eric.

Martian27/05/2020 14:09:53
2529 forum posts
1163 photos

Remove the tail section Eric then it will fit. I tuned mine to F #

Edited By Martian on 27/05/2020 14:10:26

Danny Fenton27/05/2020 15:54:25
9631 forum posts
4449 photos

I managed to cobble together the starboard strut, there is a great deal of work in the struts!!

Pic 600

600.jpg

Cheers

Danny

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!