Forum sponsored by CML

S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Tony Bennett09/11/2018 13:03:53
4953 forum posts
129 photos

nicely done.

i am going to carve my nose out of layers of 10mm depron.

Tony B

Danny Fenton09/11/2018 17:51:50
8764 forum posts
3624 photos

Whatever floats your boat Tony

Looking at the Westburg drawings, and some good profile pics, the top cowling curves from about the third exhaust stub.

I have been bandsawing blocks of blue foam, though balsa would also work, just more expensive!

fury147.jpg

Not looking forward to trying to find a Fury inside, but its there somewhere just have to tease it out....

Cheers

Danny

McG 696909/11/2018 18:08:58
2349 forum posts
974 photos

I have no doubts at all, Danny.

If there is a Fury somewhere 'inside', you'll find it, no probs... wink

Cheers

Chris

Danny Fenton13/11/2018 23:22:58
8764 forum posts
3624 photos

I am really struggling to find the cowl within. First attempt abandoned. Just about to start attempt two..... this should not be so difficult

Cheers

Danny

Colin Leighfield13/11/2018 23:36:06
5504 forum posts
2249 photos

Persevere, success is guaranteed.

Martian14/11/2018 12:38:50
1970 forum posts
934 photos

Seek and ye shall find dan san master the answer lies within

Danny Fenton14/11/2018 22:16:37
8764 forum posts
3624 photos

this blessed cowl area is driving me nuts....

I have made up a ring the same size as the spinner back plate, and used this to check the fit of the cowl, and it seems pretty good.

Though the cowl does highlight that the fuselage formers are still not right....

fury153.jpg

I then made a 1/4" thick lite ply former that fit snugly inside the cowl. The ring was glued to the cowl using Stabillit Express which is a polyester based adhesive. I find epoxy and polyester do not give a good bond.

fury150.jpg

The ring gives a much greater surface area to attach the cowl to the fuselage. Remember with mine I have no need to remove the lower cowl so it can be fixed permanently.

fury151.jpg

The cowl was then glued to the fus, using some temporary guides on the sides, and the spinner back plate to ensure all was aligned correctly.

fury152.jpg

Now I am in a quandry, I can just glass all this (keeping the upper hatch removable. Or I could finish the entire cowl section forward of the centre section and make a female mold to make a new much longer cowl.

fury155.jpeg

decisions decisions.....

Danny Fenton19/11/2018 20:43:11
8764 forum posts
3624 photos

enough faffing about with the fuselage, I have decided to crack on with the wings while I ponder further.

The beauty of having the drawings in a cad format meant I could re-print them. Using the tile printing function within TurboCad allowed the lower wing panel to be printed in two sheets of A3 then joined. I then mirrored the drawing and printed again.

fury wing mirrored.jpg

So I now have a copy of the port and starboard lower wing, to build over.

fury155.jpg

So now I can start a lower wing

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 19/11/2018 20:44:17

McG 696919/11/2018 22:00:04
2349 forum posts
974 photos

Hi Danny,

I guess the benefit of The Masters is just to have the skills to handle CAD software together with A3 standard or mirror printing.

The majority of common mortal pupils - especially Continental ones - just started drooling now, I guess. frown

Regarding your fuselage cowl, I would choose fore a 'total' mould back to the front cabane struts, even a bit further so you can cut the glass following the tilted lateral panel line.

A two piece mould - with a split line at the horizontal bottom of your hatch - would make it possible to adapt the slight former's discrepancies all the way back.

You were very conservative/silent regarding board erasers till now, this might change now... blush

Cheers

Chris

Danny Fenton19/11/2018 22:27:43
8764 forum posts
3624 photos

Hi Chris, no board erasers

There is a part of me that wants to do exactly that. But it is a wheelbarrow full of work.

Hence moving to another part of the build while I muse...…….

Cheers
Danny

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Gliders Distribution
CML
Overlander
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us