By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Which part of building a new traditional balsa model plane do you enjoy the most?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Martin Harris08/01/2019 00:09:38
8534 forum posts
214 photos
Posted by David Mellor on 08/10/2018 19:07:43:

I've been following this with interest.

I haven't filled it in yet, though, because I can't get past question 3 that refers to something called an "engine" which isn't anything I'm familiar with.

The title of the thread refers to "new traditional balsa model plane", so maybe you should extend the question to "engine or motor"?

Or is it really engines only? And yes, I do build radio assist traditionally built balsa free flight models - with motors.

The category is possibly there as there's a definite pleasure in handling a shiny new engine, planning the fuel system, arranging an efficient throttle linkage, exhaust routing, cooling airflow and cowling cutting - all pleasures largely denied to the electric motorist who won't be able to look forward to experiencing the joy of coaxing their engine into life, tuning to perfection and basking in the satisfaction of a completed flight with the engine emitting gentle ticks as the metal cools in the evening sun.

Soldering 3 connectors doesn't really justify a question though.

Timo Starkloff08/01/2019 06:37:03
339 forum posts
756 photos

All topics mentioned above have ups and downs, but the best thing during the complete build is putting all pieces together to see how the plane looks

Timo

SONNY MONKS26/01/2019 17:10:32
269 forum posts

All,except the maiden.

Martin Harris26/01/2019 17:37:16
8534 forum posts
214 photos

Really? The prospect of that first (hopefully of many) flight is what drives me through the repetitive bits and occasional frustrations along the way!

GrahamWh26/01/2019 17:40:05
356 forum posts
53 photos

The maiden's the best bit!

I get bored of every stage eventually, though the fuselage is the best of those listed for me. I take too long building with long breaks on the way.

fly boy326/01/2019 19:09:40
3467 forum posts
18 photos

Have voted. If poll asked what we disliked most we may have more votes. My dislike is bending thick piano wire for u/c. LoL.

Edited By fly boy3 on 26/01/2019 19:10:21

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Revoc
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Motion RC
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us