Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Mix and Match

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Bennett31/08/2018 08:49:09
5082 forum posts
129 photos

I have just been informed by my club that they are no longer allowing members to mix and match tx to rx.

i need to clarify what they actually mean, but they say that the bmfa insurance are not happy with mix and match.

so does this mean i can no longer use orange or lemon rx;s with my spectrum tx, if so i expect i will be giving up as i cannot afford to change 20 rx's over to spectrum ones as they are well over twice the cost.

hmmmmmmm

Tony B

Edited By Tony Bennett on 31/08/2018 08:49:52

Martin Harris31/08/2018 09:07:09
9558 forum posts
258 photos

While it may be good practice to "ensure" compatibility by sticking to a manufacturer's genuine equipment, it doesn't guarantee that the cloned equipment will be less reliable and many of my clubmates have used cheap receivers with equal (or in some cases better) results as with the genuine* receivers.

Ask your committee to quote where it says that in any documentation from the BMFA - or contact Manny Williamson for confirmation. The BMFA have always stated that the cover extends to any legal model related activity.  The advice in the BMFA handbook is just that - failure to comply with any guidance does not affect the insurance unless it constitutes a breach of the law.

* Do your club also have checks in place to ensure that counterfeit receivers are not being used? I'm told these are widely available for at least one of the more popular systems...wouldn't it make sense to assume that the makers of branded compatible equipment would take more care to produce decent quality equipment than someone intent on defrauding vulnerable end users?

Edited By Martin Harris on 31/08/2018 09:27:02

Denis Watkins31/08/2018 09:23:18
4650 forum posts
131 photos

Surely a Club Meeting would have been held to discuss and vote on this issue Tony?

But normal common sense Range Check and Failsafe Check would filter out problems and approve flights?

Brian Cooper31/08/2018 09:27:27
605 forum posts
27 photos

It never ceases to amaze me how many myths (usually negative) are invented when it comes to BMFA Insurance. . It is a total mystery how they begin or who starts them, but they are invariably WRONG.

It will be good to get this latest one crushed before it grows roots.

For Chapter and Verse on BMFA Insurance, contact Andy Symons at the BMFA.

B.C.

Engine Doctor31/08/2018 09:31:33
2629 forum posts
40 photos

Never heard that before Ask them to show you the document .. Sounds a bit OTT to me and a bit elitist If you are unhappy with that decision then read you clubs constitution . If it states that and you signed up to agree then you have to accept it . If however it has just been introduced adhoc then argue against it or call an EGM .

Many radios work perfectly with Tx or Rx made by different manufacturers provided they are designed to accept another manufacturers protocol ie ; Fr-Sky Lemon or Orange

The Wright Stuff31/08/2018 09:35:57
1394 forum posts
227 photos

Didn't Futaba release a statement recently, advising against the use of non-Futaba receivers? It was a short paragraph in last month's mag. Could this be associated with the decision?

onetenor31/08/2018 12:48:53
1901 forum posts

Would it not be cheaper to buy a Tx of the same make? Assuming that is possible of course and what the club is saying is true. i have mix'n matched over the yrs but not recently so cannot claim knowledge of Orange/ Lemon Rx s My biggest mix was Futaba Tx s and Sanwa Rx s with absolutely no problems whatever. In both 35 and 40 megs. While out of action I have been servicing these Tx s and Rx s Replacing any suss looking parts and cleaning, So far as I';ve been able to check about 50 yards yards,at present , they are working fine. Aerial down and up.

Just Googled this----https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=orange+rc+transmitter+review&oq=Orange+RC&aqs=chrome.4.69i57j0l5.28237j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Couldn't find Lemon Tx s b ut this is cheap enough--https://www.amainhobbies.com/tactic-ttx403-4channel-2.4ghz-slt-mini-aircraft-transmitter-transmitter-only-tacj2403/p609715--- even if only 4 Ch

Andy Symons - BMFA31/08/2018 12:59:16
642 forum posts
1 photos

There is not an issue using mix and match TX/RX however you should ensure all necessary checks are carried out to ensure equipment operates correctly.

The Wright Stuff31/08/2018 13:39:31
1394 forum posts
227 photos

Thanks for the clarification Andy, but presumably Tony's club is free to invoke that rule for their members, regardless of what the BMFA position is.

In which case, it is still an issue for him.

Andy Symons - BMFA31/08/2018 13:41:46
642 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by The Wright Stuff on 31/08/2018 13:39:31:

Thanks for the clarification Andy, but presumably Tony's club is free to invoke that rule for their members, regardless of what the BMFA position is.

In which case, it is still an issue for him.

Indeed, the club can invoke any rule they like.

It is likley there has simply been a misunderstanding somewhere down the line.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator31/08/2018 14:02:50
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

The club does indeed have the right to make any rule consistent with its constitution. What it doesn't have the right to do though is claim that its a BMFA issue - when it isn't. This is classic strategy, you see it all the time. Its usually H&S that gets the blame - despite the fact that no such H&S ruling exists!

Why has the club done this Tony? Have members been having problems with such systems? If so, while it wouldn't be unique, I'm not aware of any substantial body of evidence or established body of opinion that sees these Rx's as a problem?

BEB

john stones 131/08/2018 14:34:08
11703 forum posts
1517 photos

BMFA says, often gets chucked in when someone wants to embellish their opinion, mostly it's untrue.

Sounds like someone has a bee in the bonnet, or someones been having problems and the problems are being blamed on the radio being at fault (where have we heard that before), we have plenty mix n match at ours.

When the likes of Orange/Lemon first came on the scene we had a couple of modellers blaming their mishaps on them, there where calls for the club to ban them, instead we talked to all the people using them, turned out those having problems, had battery failures/incorrect installations/used park flyer receivers/where bad flyers, deal with the problem, not where some would like to place the blame.

Get a letter in Tony and ask for it to be discussed at a meeting.

Andy Symons - BMFA31/08/2018 14:50:47
642 forum posts
1 photos

More often than not it is someone simply misunderstanding something and nothing more.

fly boy331/08/2018 15:25:38
3778 forum posts
22 photos

Let's hope it is a misunderstanding Tony, or the next step could be telling members to use specific radios, then possibly what models you can fly lol. Cheers

The Wright Stuff31/08/2018 15:33:04
1394 forum posts
227 photos

Tony has already suggested that he needs to 'clarify what they actually mean'. Let's wait until he does that before speculating further...

fly boy331/08/2018 16:14:38
3778 forum posts
22 photos

Yep, you are rightTWS, I agree. Cheers

cymaz31/08/2018 16:23:00
9391 forum posts
1216 photos

Surely your club must have debated this? Why not was it put to a members vote? Maybe I’m jumping ahead of myself!

Really, in the two clubs I belong to a club meeting would be held, people contacted by email or via club web page so that everyone knew the issues/ problems. On of my clubs went to great lenghths to inform all members before spending a large amount on a project....wouldn’t dream of doing anything else.

Is this a rumour going around? Sorry to hear of your predicament Tony.

Former Member31/08/2018 18:36:38
724 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

The Wright Stuff17/09/2018 16:14:55
1394 forum posts
227 photos

Any update Tony?

I'm interested to know if you got any more answers!

Tony Bennett17/09/2018 16:27:55
5082 forum posts
129 photos

no more answers at the moment.

nothing has changed and i am still pondering what best to do.

Tony B

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!