Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Autumn is here...you been flying ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Erfolg07/11/2019 12:05:17
11395 forum posts
1208 photos

It seems that no one has been flying recently? I must confess i have not.

I can tell you about some who have, on Saturday my club had its annual Bon Fire Night extravaganza.

My wife mentioned the event to daughter No1, where upon Granddaughter No.3, invited herself along. Granddaughter No1 said it was to boring, No. 2 said she was going out with her friends and it would be boring with a group of old men. Hmm, I thought. Never the less the better half rushed out and bought what fireworks that were left in the shops and cakes, as we are not good at selecting finger food.

The journey to the field was in itself spooky, as pockets of mist lay in various hollows, with rolling mists sweeping across the once clear lanes at intervals. Did I mention that I had also acquired Daughter No1 and Son-in -law, for the event. Our fracking protesters were still hunched in their road side cabin, their wood burning stove emitting a dull red glow. My wife piped up why are you going so ridiculously slow? It is the twenty miles per hour speed limit was my reply. Do not be stupid Erfolg, we are in the middle of no where, no one about, get a move on. Alas I pointed out middle of no where or not, there is a speed camera. It seems now that all Fracking has been halted, it is to be decided which community is to receive the benefit of the nuisance they cause. I bet that wood burning stove emits no particulate and is carbon neutral (as is claimed)

At the field the fire roared, Granddaughter No3 waited impatiently for the fire works to commence, I tucked into a chicken leg, washed down with a small beer. When the fireworks commenced there were the normal woos and Arrrs, and the occasional loud intakes of breath. Then a model aircraft took to the skies rolling, looping, knife edging. The fireworks went on for a good half hour, during the display, the model apparently went nearer, then nearer the the fireworks, until it had to be hit by something, miraculously it was not. The model flew for a good 15 minutes, its transparent body, adorned with lights transfixing me as how any one could fly with such control and aplomb. It was only after the model was taken to the car park could I see that it was both very large and skeletal, that I could appreciate the investment that had been risked for our entertainment, or was it risked, given the pilots undoubted skill.

Sunday arrived with the adjacent golf course covered in low level mist. Not to be deterred I decided that after the previous nights activities others would be enthused to fly, the weather forecast predicted a 9 mph wind, Both were incorrect assumptions. No one was at the field and the wind was a good 12 mph.

Non the less my Delta now sported two 7"*6" props that were pulling about 180 watts combined. Away from the viewing area, the ground was every bit as water logged as the last time out, as I squelched to the flying flag stones. No, the flag stones do not fly, it is where we normally stand when flying a model. Now it was a mini swimming pool, I was really glad I was wearing my Green Country Wellies. Launching the model, it now went vertically up. Such a relieve from the previous props 5.5"*6", where the model was at the mercy of the wind and my wayward launches. After a 15 minutes flight, much at half throttle, where it still bowled along, I landed. Checking the Lipo at approx 50%, which was better than on the small props. I am still waiting for my original prop order, they are still on back order. I am so pleased I put in a later order.

I now went home, fed up squelching about. If you stood in roughly the same area, you turned the grass into a muddy puddle and no one else was to be seen, There may have been a bit of weak Sunshine, yet there was not much pleasure to be had.

My wife has now promised we are going away to escape the UK winter, Global Warming, pull the other one, it is somewhere else.sad

Edited By Erfolg on 07/11/2019 12:08:33

Edited By Erfolg on 07/11/2019 12:09:23

Peter Miller07/11/2019 14:01:15
10265 forum posts
1226 photos
10 articles

The last two SUndays. Sunday before last was a perfect day. Last Sunday was cloudy and chilly but we had a good afternoon.

Colin Carpenter07/11/2019 14:24:16
566 forum posts
35 photos

Monday and Wednesday! Field saturated but to my surprise my Sebart SBach took off and landed no prob !!!💦💦😂😂👍

Brian Hammond07/11/2019 15:04:53
315 forum posts

I put bigger wheels on my Sbach 342 30 & 50 sizes and have no problems.

Colin Carpenter07/11/2019 15:09:03
566 forum posts
35 photos

It might have to come to that , Brian ! I’ll wait till I have to get a dinghy to get from the car to the flightline !🤪🤪🤪😂😂Colin

Trevor Crook07/11/2019 15:12:23
868 forum posts
65 photos

Went out in perfect conditions the Sunday before last, had half a dozen or so good flights plus some chit-chat. Also co-starred in an Essential RC video (well, for about 2 seconds, launching a little P38).

J D 807/11/2019 16:10:40
1312 forum posts
78 photos

Just been out the back door to my farm field with new Parkzone F4F Wildcat . What a delightful little flyer, no AS3X stability on mine as I am Futaba. Can see this one being a regular for ten min snatched slots to keep the fingers in practice.

Erfolg07/11/2019 16:25:18
11395 forum posts
1208 photos

You guys seem to have better weather than we up north endure. All of the local golf courses are closed, totally water logged, that is excepting Royal Lytham. Yet even here, the primeval mechanical clank of the aerating machine could be heard, drawing my attention to its WW1 secret machine type appearance, as it slowly moved around each putting green.

There has been nothing but continuous rain here today, yet more is expected tomorrow and probably the next day. I can hear my neighbour battering nails into wood, could it be, surly not, an Ark?

One of the problems we will have is that when the rain stops, the field will be water logged for many weeks. The grass already long, together with the wet, will be a real issue for my type of small model to take off from. There will be no chance to cut the grass for probably months

cymaz07/11/2019 16:49:10
8765 forum posts
1190 photos

Not a hope in hell this past couple of weeks. We’ve had so much rain the walls in Bodmin can’t take any more.....

346c988b-6e7c-4e11-ba87-fd28a4410cce.jpeg

john stones 107/11/2019 16:59:09
10710 forum posts
1480 photos

Quack, tis grim oop norf.

Glyn4407/11/2019 17:09:36
705 forum posts
92 photos

Nope

Tim Ballinger07/11/2019 17:28:49
556 forum posts
229 photos

I had not been expecting a flying day after being conditioned to what seems like a month of high wind and heavy rain.
Today however started with sunshine and clear skies so I got everything charged up and arranged to meet a flying buddy at the field at 1300. The wind was forecast as 7 gusting 14 and no rain until the early hours of Friday.

thought the field might be on the deep side and it turned out to be almost waterlogged. Our two cars will probably be the last till it dries up.
However the strip itself while squishy was just above water and my Riot XL made little of it and I was soon having fun in the sun with absolutely no wind in evidence. Thirty minutes later and the wind and gust arrived such that we packed in after 2 more flights.

It felt good to be in the air again, who knows when the next flight will be.

Tim

J D 807/11/2019 17:49:55
1312 forum posts
78 photos

Hand launch or flying boats then .wink

Paul Marsh07/11/2019 18:15:11
3727 forum posts
1057 photos

only flown once since July, the worse weather I can imagine. Our field will be under water and only accessable by 4x4 now.

Peter Miller07/11/2019 18:20:54
10265 forum posts
1226 photos
10 articles

Ou flying field is on a slope near the top of a hill.Even after rain all saturday night the path across is only a little muddy.

The car park gets a little slippery under the grass. but not the slightest bit boggy

David Davis08/11/2019 15:14:05
3439 forum posts
613 photos
Posted by aidan mcatamney on 30/09/2018 12:39:22:

2018-09-28 17.22.31.jpg

...and that's a really nice B17 Aidan.

David Davis08/11/2019 16:17:56
3439 forum posts
613 photos

I went flying this afternoon. The temperature was 9C and there was little wind and the early autumn colours of central France had produced a pleasing sfumato effect. For the next week the forecast suggests wind and rain which will put the mockers on any attempt to fly. So it was on with the fleece and orange miners' overalls and load some models into the van. Among the models was "La Rosse d'Hiver." This is the nearest I can get to a "Winter Hack" in French. Literally it means, "The Nag of the Winter." My Winter Hack is actually a WOT 4 Mark 3 powered by a Thunder Tiger 54 and covered in film off-cuts. Because the WOT 4 was intended for a 40 two-stroke the model has always been a little nose-heavy so I've added a wheel balancing weight to the tailplane to see what effect it would have. It actually had very little effect so I'll have to rig the model up accurately on my c of g jig and add more weight until the desired balance point is reached. Having had one brief test flight I landed the model, got my foamie trainer out practised landing approaches with it.

While I was doing this I was aware of the call of those harbingers of winter in these parts, the Common Crane, on their annual migration south. Apparently they fly from Scandanavia and Russia and spend the winter in North Africa or Southern Spain. Lucky birds! I landed and watched them fly by. The first flock must have had a thousand birds in it. Behind it smaller numbers were striving to catch up with the leading group. When they caught up with the flock they merged with it increasing the length of the line, each bird benefitting from the bird in front and helping the bird behind penetrate the air. If only humans were so co-operative. One group broke away from the main group by appearing to slow down. In fact they had detected a current of rising air, they ascended with it and after a few minutes they were not only higher than the leading group they were in front of it. Right at the front the leading bird had the hardest task for there was no bird ahead of him or her to penetrate the air but after several minutes another bird would take over. I stood in admiration as sixteen flocks flew by. Some had only about fifty birds in them but the larger flocks... well, some of them must have contained thousands. It's a shame that I did not have my camera with me but here's a picture that I took in 2016 of the cranes in their annual migation.

another flock of cranes..jpg

None of my clubmates turned up so I went home, lit the woodburner and settled down to coffee and cake.

Incidentally this is a picture of the WOT 4, he's also called "Joseph" because of his coat of many colours! smiley Oh well suit yourselves...

la rosse dhiver (1).jpg

Erfolg08/11/2019 20:52:29
11395 forum posts
1208 photos

David, did you work on the Cyclotron at Rev Dodgsons place.

Looks like all the leafs have fallen of the bushes or trees. I tend to avoid fancy dress when I go flying, just in case any one thinks I need referring for medical treatment. Standing alone in a field, staring at the sky seems bizarre enough.

David Davis09/11/2019 06:06:25
3439 forum posts
613 photos
Posted by Erfolg on 08/11/2019 20:52:29:

David, did you work on the Cyclotron at Rev Dodgsons place.

Looks like all the leafs have fallen of the bushes or trees. I tend to avoid fancy dress when I go flying, just in case any one thinks I need referring for medical treatment. Standing alone in a field, staring at the sky seems bizarre enough.

No Erfolg, I uset to work as a youth and community worker and later an adult careers adviser. I also worked as a painter and decorator when there was nothing more remunerative to be had. I doubt that my Physics and Maths O Levels would have qualified me to work in any scientific capacity. I even had to google "cyclotron" to find out what it was and "Rev Dodgson," wasn't he Lewis Carroll? He was a mathematician of some standing in his day but he died in 1898 and the cyclotron was not invented, according to Wikipedia, until 1929 so I don't get the connection.

Secondly, I took that picture of cranes in 2016 as I said in the last sentence of my post. There are still plenty of leaves on the trees here though they are starting to change colour now.

As for the orange overalls, my clubmates used to tease me about being an escapee from Guantanamo but I replied that I wear them to keep warm, that they're of excellent quality, that they were very cheap to buy because of their colour and that they're also fire resistant so that if ever we were caught in a fire I would be able to walk out of it and they'll all be dead!

fun fly apres maiden..jpg

Erfolg09/11/2019 11:12:00
11395 forum posts
1208 photos

The cyclotron (in this case known as the NSF) was or is on site at Daresbury, where Charles Dodgson lived in his youth. The rabbit hole is reported to be the remains of the quarry from where the stone for the church were obtained. The church now has Alice and Wonderland, rabbit stained glass windows. The actual house (vicarage) has been demolished, although the foundations are still visible. All of this was true when I worked there, then in the middle of nowhere with a certain David Davis.

There is a ridge that I tried slope soaring from a good few years later, when it became a junction of the now built M56, with lots of new build office accommodation.

Here the weather is now bitterly cold with a very strong southerly wind, how I envy those of you with some warmth.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us