Forum sponsored by CML

Sport plane query Whizza / Tucano

Low cost fun sport plane build

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jon Robb08/09/2018 08:11:20
36 forum posts
2 photos

I am trying to decide on a low cost fun sport plane build. Having read through as many threads as I can, it seems like the Whizzza or Tucano would by suitable candidates. So I’m looking for a bit of feedback on performance / ease of build from anyone who has built either of these planes. Would there be much difference in performance as their specs are fairly similar.

Aside from those two planes. I am open to any other suggestions of a plan which fits the bill.

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator08/09/2018 13:59:54
6730 forum posts
191 photos

Hi John & Welcome to the forum.....

There are a few threads on both models (use the search box) & indeed our very own Chris Bott has built the Whizza & BEB the Tucano so you are in the right place.

I have built the Fizza which is a bit smaller than the Whizza but still a great "fly anywhere" sport model.....I don't think you'd go wrong with any of them....

RC Plane Flyer08/09/2018 14:26:29
671 forum posts
19 photos

The Whizza & Fizza have a flat wing profile and need a fair bit of speed to fly safely

Another suggestion for a similar model with a profile wing is the Sarick Web pages for the Tracer E

Percy Verance08/09/2018 15:29:03
8108 forum posts
155 photos

And if a Tucano is your bag and you'd prefer to avoid the faster flying tendancies of the (otherwise excellent) Nigel Hawes solid sheet wing version, then there's the Phoenix Model Products version. It's a relatively new kit from Stan Yeo, but if it's anything like his other kits it'll be a winner. Just slightly larger than the Nigel Hawes version, but still very transportable in one piece I'd have thought......although the wing is removable of course.

http://www.phoenixmp.com/acatalog/The_Kits.html

Edited By Percy Verance on 08/09/2018 15:33:18

Jon Robb08/09/2018 18:42:15
36 forum posts
2 photos

Yes I’ve read through most of the threads on here and spoken to a few of the builders. I was just looking for any other feedback or suggestions.

Regarding the Tracer E, as it was primarily designed as a pylon racer I think it will be a bit quicker than I’m looking for ATM.

Thanks for the suggestion of Stans Tucano, I shall bear that in mind. I liked the simplicity of Nigel’s designs. The speed needed for safe flight is one thing putting me off ATM.

Any other slower sport model suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Percy Verance08/09/2018 20:02:46
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Hi again Jon

Re: the Phoenix Tucano

If you delve a little deeper on the Phoenix Model Products site, you'll see there's an option to examine the plan and the building instructions. None of Stan's kits are difficult builds, and some of his glider designs have had competition successes in the past.

I've had several of Stan's kits, and it's reassuring to know that if you have a problem ( it's unlikely) then you can pick up the phone and speak to the bloke who designed, test flew and produced the kit. yes  The Pepperpot could be worthy of consideration too........ They're very complete kits with a full complement of accessories (wheels, control horns, hinges etc) and sensible prices too for a fully lazer cut kit - £80.

Edited By Percy Verance on 08/09/2018 20:23:52

Caveman08/09/2018 20:10:05
276 forum posts
238 photos

Hi Jon, I built a Nigel Hawes Tucano as part of the 2013 mass build.

It was my second build and it wasn't particularly difficult, especially as there several others building at the same time and there were plenty of build logs to watch, and learn from.

I made mine with a removable wing to make transport easier.

I was a bit surprised at the comment above which suggests the model needs to be flown quickly. I find mine can be flown at a good speed, but it also flies slowly without drama.

All round a good model and one I recommend.

Cheers GDB

kc08/09/2018 20:12:35
6165 forum posts
169 photos

You specified "low cost" - it's worth saying that the Tucano needs the canopy and cockpit interior to look good and this adds to the cost! See Vortex Vacform site for prices. Plus of course the cost of the plan.  The 35 pounds that those cost does not include any wood!

For a slower, lower cost model consider the Ohmen 'free' plan in this months RCME - a fairly handy size at 47 inch span and no canopy to buy.  Expect the wood to cost 30 pounds from Balsa Cabin or SLEC.

Edited By kc on 08/09/2018 20:19:54

Percy Verance08/09/2018 20:23:10
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Now there's an excellent option kc. I'd completely overlooked that one!

Edited By Percy Verance on 08/09/2018 20:27:15

Jon Robb08/09/2018 21:29:33
36 forum posts
2 photos

Thanks KC, Looking at the Ohmen thread on here it looks like a great plane and more suited performance wise, whilst keeping the Whizzzer on the back burner as I very much like the shape of it.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Paul Marsh08/09/2018 21:53:09
3788 forum posts
1089 photos

I built the Tucano a few years ago - 12 to be precise!(started, never finished) Eventually got it finished and flown. It flies very slowly and quick. In fact it glides so well off power, it takes ages to land - Chris has flown his off the slope to that effect in a light wind...

NH Tuccano  field

Piers Bowlan09/09/2018 08:11:55
1955 forum posts
50 photos

Jon, welcome to the forum. I think I am right in saying that the 2013 Tucano Mass Build was one of the most successful in terms of the number of participants. I am sure that this was in part due to the fact that it was such a simple/quick build but also because it flew so well, even at low speeds. Also, it was a recognisable aircraft, albeit cartoon scale. Go on build one, you know you want to. My only advice is keep it light, as Nigel intended, light aircraft fly better than heavy ones. If cost is an issue I expect someone on the forum has an old plan they don't need any more and as for a canopy, you could always shrink your own or simply carve one out of foam and paint it! 

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 09/09/2018 08:30:58

Gavin Livsey09/09/2018 09:14:10
113 forum posts

Posted by RC Plane Flyer on 08/09/2018 14:26:29:

The Whizza & Fizza have a flat wing profile and need a fair bit of speed to fly safely

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. I have a Whizza that has done hundreds of flights. I never go flying without it. It's the most versatile model you could wish for. It will fly fast but can be slowed up should you fancy some gentle flying. My favourite trick is to fly up high, chop the power and then glide. Full back stick sees it mushing along at walking pace without any hint of a stall. All that have seen it have commented on how amazing this is for a "plank"

Build one. It's easy. You won't regret it.

Richard Harris09/09/2018 10:39:52
2085 forum posts
1945 photos

John,

Being a big fan of low cost, simple to build models I designed my own sheet winged model 5 years ago after seeing the Whizzers in action at GA, There is a build log HERE, if I still have the drawings you'd be more than welcome to them. I used thicker 1/2" sheets with a spruce spar up the middle so there is more of an aerofoil, it does fly well.

That said, you really cant go wrong with a whizzer /tucano or anything from the Hawes stable.

img_2700.jpg

img_3091.jpg

Rich

kc09/09/2018 18:23:25
6165 forum posts
169 photos

Rich, shouldn't the Sling Shot be an RCME plan? I would prfere to see new designs rather than having repeats of old plans in the magazine!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us