Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

BROWN PAPER COVERING

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
DIGGER10/09/2018 08:16:52
132 forum posts
4 photos

I want to cover my model with brown paper? its all wood sheet , has anyone done this ,i plan to airbrush it afterwards. How do I go about it, All and any help PLEASE, not done this before.

Chris

Denis Watkins10/09/2018 08:46:06
3733 forum posts
178 photos

https://www.modelflying.co.uk/forums/searchresults.asp?Search=Brown%20paper

Edited By Denis Watkins on 10/09/2018 08:46:36

Former Member10/09/2018 09:50:02
1322 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

Bob Cotsford10/09/2018 10:24:02
7873 forum posts
433 photos

Brown paper over wood works just fine and adds little weight compared to a heavyweight tissue/dope/sanding sealer or glass cloth/resin finish - depending on the size of model! I'd say it's fine for 40 glow size upwards, on smaller models you might want to look at lighter finishes. You might need to take care over thin (1/16" ) sheet as it shrinks slightly so you could end up with a starved horse look. I've used it over veneered foam with no issues.

Brown parcel paper from Poundland, Tesco or the Post Office, cheap PVA from Poundland, Wickes,, Wilcos or wherever diluted to somewhere between single cream and creamy milk constituency. Then it's just like wallpapering. Cut a panel to size, paste it with dilute PVA (some people actually prefer wallpaper paste), let it sit a couple of minutes to swell then apply it, smoothing out from the centre. Don't let it sit too long though or it will turn to mush and break up as you apply it. I used a covering iron to ease it round compound curves. Once it's dried through blend in overlaps with fine wet'n'dry. Prime and paint. Done. Other things to note, apply it shiny side out and some papers have a distinct grain, these papers tend to be a bit stronger when wet.

There's more details to be found on the Warbird Replicas builds.

Don't forget the standard prep of sanding and filling dings etc. beforehand as flaws will still show through the finish!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 10/09/2018 10:27:28

DIGGER10/09/2018 10:42:35
132 forum posts
4 photos

Thank you all, lots of info and help, will do alot of reading and give it ago. Again thanks.

Chris

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us