Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Buying from this site

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bruce Collinson17/09/2018 16:23:20
246 forum posts

Guys,

Something is winking at me. What is the accepted/safe transactional procedure where the goods are remote and so won't be seen in the flesh and particularly, what's the accepted method of payment? Did I see a stricture against PayPal, or was that the BMFA site?

BTC

Frank Skilbeck17/09/2018 17:00:12
4251 forum posts
101 photos

It's not a stricture against Paypal, but a warning that if you choose to pay someone as a gift (i.e. like a friend) and the goods don't get delivered then there is no comeback on Paypal, if you use the business Paypal you have the protection but then Paypal take a % of the payment so some sellers ask for payment as a gift or for the buyer to pay for the protection.

Nigel R17/09/2018 17:25:45
2325 forum posts
389 photos

Up to the seller what methods they accept I presume.

How do you feel about credit card surcharges?

The escrow tax that Paypal charges is analogous.

Paul Marsh17/09/2018 17:48:00
3480 forum posts
962 photos

If you know the person, and trust them 100% than Paypal gift is ok (I have done so - and been ok.)
Anything else, don't risk it, even if you pay the fees yourself, better than that then losing it all.

Other than that, if collection, then don't pay by Paypal, either cash when you pick up or you could pay by paypal via your app. if accepted. (some people, especially dealers of other items now have a terminal to accept debit/credit card payments.

Denis Watkins17/09/2018 17:50:14
3388 forum posts
151 photos

Lads, just pay up with protection, no matter how distasteful the cost

This week alone, I had 2 deals go sour, with Paypal refunding my account fully, including postage, today.

And when you ring Paypal, you get to speak with a human being

Edited By Denis Watkins on 17/09/2018 17:50:32

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator17/09/2018 18:25:07
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

I agree with Denis primarily. When buying from an advert in classified etc., for me its either a face-to-face they hand over the goods I'll give then cash, basically both sides happy. Or if that can't work - too far away etc,, then it's full PayPal (no gift) or credit card - note, credit not debit - and preferably it's PayPal.

I have only had one serious dispute - funnily enough not with a private individual but with an Austrian shop! Paypal were excellent simply by their presence. The company wouldn't supply the model, despite the fact that I had paid in full, making all sorts of stupid excuses. The reality is of course they just didn't have one! I didn't even have to actually do very much, just entered the resolution centre told them if the goods were not shipped, or my money refunded, in 24 hours I was taking out a formal dispute with them. The threat was enough - 23 hours and 20 minutes later I had my money back!

So it works and you are protected, use it is my advice. I know its sad that you can't trust folks and the reality is 99% are honest of course, but the 1% means you have to take precautions especially if substantial sums are involved.

If someone insists on full payment via cheque or bank transfer up front, goods unseen, I'd decide I could buy the item elsewhere!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/09/2018 18:26:31

Dave Hess18/09/2018 00:02:44
300 forum posts
18 photos

When you raise a Paypal dispute, it can be very serious for the supplierbecause they sometimes lock the suppliers account until the matter is resolved. You only have protection if you pay for goods and services, for which Paypal make a deduction. I once sent a gift payment to the wrong recipient. Paypal couldn't help me get it back, but, luckily, the recipient had a concience so I got t back after pleading povity a few times.

Bruce Collinson18/09/2018 11:08:48
246 forum posts

Thanks all, this vendor has agreed to use PayPal and I'm just waiting for my offer to be considered.

Very grateful.

BTC

Nigel R18/09/2018 17:58:33
2325 forum posts
389 photos

"Lads, just pay up with protection, no matter how distasteful the cost"

I agree it's the best way - although I see my post reads that I don't.

For us doing one-to-one distance deals it is the current best way that I know of.

Sellers need to be aware of factoring in a registered post method for proof of delivery, if they accept a normal paypal payment.

John Tee19/09/2018 13:14:31
713 forum posts
65 photos

Probably just my mind set. I interpret the heading of the original post "this site" to mean the RCM&E web site, but all the answers are for general online sites. Am I thinking wrongly or does Bruce mean online in general?

John

Bruce Collinson19/09/2018 14:03:47
246 forum posts

For clarity, John, it was this site specifically. Just shows what happens to middle(ish) aged men's brains after too much Amazon Prime and EBay PayPal.

The deal is done and I'm tracking my NIB Laser 100 from Sweden.

The enquiry was because I couldn't see any clear instructions re how to transact safely but I recalled a warning which I think must have been on the BMFA classifieds site concerning PayPal. I now believe it said, don't succumb to requests for PayPal gift transfers because there's no comeback.

The outcome is that a very cooperative modeller has despatched the goods with tracking and I will transfer to his bank account on satisfactory receipt, thus saving heaps of meddling paperwork and delays.

BTC

Steve Dunne19/09/2018 15:25:11
83 forum posts
38 photos

What is it going into, Bruce?

indecision

Bruce Collinson19/09/2018 15:29:13
246 forum posts

Ideally an '80s pattern ship with a brand new flight battery ...crying 2

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Overlander
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
Motion RC
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us