Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Couple of OS engines

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andrew Mills 219/09/2018 17:16:17
9 forum posts
1 photos

Hi all, just a quick couple of questions. I have "discovered" in a box of engines I was given several years ago a couple of OS engines. One is an OS 20 four stroke and the other is an OS 77 Ducted Fan engine. Are these any good ? and if so what are they worth. can't see me using the large ducted fan one anytime soon.

Thanks for any info.

Peter Christy19/09/2018 17:58:15
1064 forum posts

The OS 20 FS is a little jewel of an engine. I have one. Not particularly powerful, but delightful in the right aircraft. I used to fly mine in a Flair Attila, in which provided realistic performance and noise! I have another Attila kit awaiting its turn on the "to do" list, and the OS 20FS will be going in it....!

--

Pete

Jon - Laser Engines19/09/2018 18:23:58
4031 forum posts
154 photos

if the 20 4 stroke is for sale i might be interested

Andrew Mills 223/09/2018 13:26:41
9 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks for replies, might keep the little 4 stroke for a small scale biplane, not sure yet. By the way, what is the best way to clean up a totally gummed up carburetor. I have been cleaning up two or three old motor but on two of them the barrel in the carb will not move at all.

David Davis23/09/2018 13:34:59
3108 forum posts
515 photos
Posted by Andrew Mills 2 on 23/09/2018 13:26:41:

Thanks for replies, might keep the little 4 stroke for a small scale biplane, not sure yet. By the way, what is the best way to clean up a totally gummed up carburetor. I have been cleaning up two or three old motor but on two of them the barrel in the carb will not move at all.

There are several ways of dealing with a gummed up caburetter. One way is simply to play the heat from a hot air gun or hair dryer around the carburetter. That softens the gummed up oil which is often castor oil. Other methods include soaking the caburetter or even the whole engine in glow fuel or anti-freeze. That works.

Peter Christy23/09/2018 13:37:53
1064 forum posts

If you have a friendly, local garage, see if they will let you have a small quantity of contaminated diesel (Diesel from a car that's been inadvertently topped up with petrol). Its great for cleaning and un-seizing parts. mechanic friend tipped me off about this! He uses it for cleaning up seized brake parts!

Beware of getting it on your hands, though! Aside from the smell, diesel doesn't do your skin much good!

Alternatively, if there are no plastic bits or rubber seals, cellulose thinners usually works quite quickly. And if there are plastic or rubber bits, spray with WD-40 and leave for a while!

--

Pete

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
Motion RC
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us