Forum sponsored by CML

Gutted!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robert Parker29/09/2018 13:51:52
837 forum posts
1088 photos

Hi Cliff,

So very sad for you at this time, she is a beautiful model.

Regards

Robert

Cliff Bastow08/10/2018 18:45:24
759 forum posts
422 photos

Well I think she might just live to fly again.

I have managed to repair the spar by joining it back together with extra braces glued across the break on each side.

Then the wing was reskinned.

wp_20181005_14_57_23_pro.jpg

Chris Freeman 310/10/2018 07:19:19
121 forum posts
139 photos

Glad to see that you are starting the repair. I have often found that the repairs are often less work than expected and it is far less work than building a new airframe. I am busy now with a World Models Cub that I was given and told that I can throw it away if it cannot be used!

Look forward to see the progress.

Cliff Bastow12/01/2019 15:00:45
759 forum posts
422 photos

Well I have to report that Connie is back in one piece and nearly ready for test flying.

I am going to fly her in the rough state before I start Painting again! This time she is going to be done in a military scheme as I cant face all those windows and lining again!

cliffs.jpg

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 12/01/2019 15:02:15

Cliff Bastow12/01/2019 15:16:09
759 forum posts
422 photos

I have decided to remove the u/c and have built a launching trolley and will belly land.

She was always a bit marginal on power at take off, unless the grass was newly cut, although fine once up. I suspect the smallish wheels and nose,wheel layout did not help.

This means as there is more ground clearance I can fit larger props to the inners, as before they had to be smaller than the outers due to ground clearance issues, which will give more power. Of course she will also be lighter by 6 wheels, 3 retract units, the air tank, piping,charging valve, control valve, retract servo and nose,wheel steering servo. All of which will help with power to weight ratio.

Also because she was over responsive to rudder inputs (which caused the crash in the first place) I have also fixed in place the middle rudder, and removed its associated servo and linkage, further reducing weight. She will now just use the outer rudders which I hope will be plenty.

Robert Parker13/01/2019 10:44:03
837 forum posts
1088 photos

Hi Cliff,

Good luck with the test flight, the weight savings and larger props should make a difference for the better.

Regards

Robert

Cliff Bastow13/01/2019 11:17:42
759 forum posts
422 photos

Thanks Robert, I am hopeful for a good outcome. I hope all goes well as she looked great in the air.

Cliff.

Cliff Bastow14/01/2019 11:03:19
759 forum posts
422 photos

Well she is ready for test flying, everything removed and new props fitted. radio gear back in and launching trolley at the ready.

Just waiting for a day off work and nice weather to coincide!

Colin Leighfield14/01/2019 11:45:57
5590 forum posts
2284 photos

Good luck Cliff, I think you will be ok this time. I just read back through the thread and saw BEB’s interest and contribution. He would be have been chuffed to see this back in the sky. You have definitely done the right thing!

Cliff Bastow14/01/2019 12:05:34
759 forum posts
422 photos

Many thanks Colin,

You are right about BEB, a sad loss to the hobby.

Chris Walby14/01/2019 12:49:43
731 forum posts
132 photos

Hi Cliff,

Sorry I don't quite follow (probably me) your comment regarding bigger inboard props (get the clearance and additional power), but are you more likely to pick up prop/motor damage when you land?

I found the lighter the trolley the better, just in case it does not depart on launch + it helps with aceleration. I still get that will it won't it moment as the model lifts off and the dolly goes one way and what seems like an age before the bungee drops away.

cal_0191.jpg

Good luck and all the best

PS a little head wind makes all the difference with mine!

Cliff Bastow14/01/2019 14:04:45
759 forum posts
422 photos

Hi Chris,

As built the model flew with 7 X 5 props on the outer engines but I had to make do with 6 X 5 on the inners and even then they sometimes cut the grass! The model has quite a bit of dihedral so the outers were higher up. I did try to find some 6 x 6 to try but could not source any.

Yes I understand there is a risk of prop breakage now but I will chop the throttle just before landing and hope for the best! I have a couple of other planes that belly land and so far prop breakage has not really been a problem unless its very cold.

Cheers Cliff.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Motion RC
CML
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
Revoc
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us