By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Throttle connection to a DLE 20

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Sam Longley23/09/2018 13:32:27
66 forum posts

I am fitting a DLE 20 RE to my new Seagull 90-120extra. The exit point to the throttle push rod seems, at first investigation, to come only slightly off centre line. This means that when I install the fuel tank the push rod will have to bend around it & because it moves back & forth any bends may foul the bulkheads or tank etc. A flexible plastic pushrod in a tube may have too much friction.

What i would like to do is offset the throttle somehow at the engine end & run the pushrod in a straight line down the side of the fuselage so that without any bends i can position other parts OK. Plus I will not get any flexing in the linkage that I might get with sharp bends in the line. I would rather not try to alter the throttle position on the engine & in any case that would not actually solve the problem. I cannot extend the throttle arm as it will just foul the engine mounting

May i ask if anyone has any clever solutions- perhaps a bellcrank at the engine end etc- that solves the issue. Or is it just a case of a flexible pushrod in a tube & accept the friction

Don Fry23/09/2018 14:03:58
3130 forum posts
38 photos

Try a secondary bellcrank, to transfer the push/pull. Be aware you will need a spring to pull the throttle shut, or open, as the more complicated system also has more slop in it, and slop is not good at tickover. If you are not familiar with secondary cranks, look at the throttle system in small outboards, same thing.

Don Fry23/09/2018 14:04:22
3130 forum posts
38 photos

add a posting thumb tremble.

Edited By Don Fry on 23/09/2018 14:05:50

Don Fry23/09/2018 14:04:38
3130 forum posts
38 photos

Ditto

Edited By Don Fry on 23/09/2018 14:07:09

Ron Gray23/09/2018 15:33:24
1259 forum posts
333 photos

Use cable instead of wire/snakes as this has the advantage of being able to be routed around things like fuel tanks.

cymaz23/09/2018 17:41:43
8202 forum posts
1135 photos

A bell crank will do. Toni Clarke Models in Germany do a bell crank modification for a Zenoah.

Bell cranks are easy to set up and build. A small bracket of steel, cut down a servo horn to get the 90* angle( or whatever suits). 2mm pushrod off cuts to work the arm will be more than strong enough. I built one of my own for my Zenoah g38. It didn’t take long and used some old stuff up that had been sitting around.

Bruce Collinson24/09/2018 12:59:44
248 forum posts

Or is there room to smuggle the throttle servo into the firewall box? I've just built a Seagull Yak with the same engine and would imagine the basic architecture of the front end will be similar/generic. I put the ignition module and the throttle servo in there, with a very short straight throttle linkage.

Plan B, go to "The Seagull has Landed" thread and see how Gary Manuel used the snake linkage albeit with a Saito. Might be worth reading the second half of the build notes anyway.

Mine with makers' exhaust did about 86 dB.

The first proper failure was the u/c which I know to be generic as there's an Ultimate bipe at our club with the same pair of very bendy steel legs, now upgraded to an Alpha composite one piece replacement. I didn't even land it, the Best Flier in the Club did and it bent, twice.

Hope this helps and keep us posted!

BTC

Stuphedd24/09/2018 14:00:10
611 forum posts
320 photos

waco 130313 008 (small).jpgwaco 130313 002 (small).jpgwaco 130313 001 (small).jpgporter 210615 005 (small) (5).jpgporter 210615 005 (small) (4).jpgI dont know if any of these photos are of use , my installation of DLEs in my Porter and Waco porter 210615 005 (small) (2).jpg

Sam Longley24/09/2018 15:11:00
66 forum posts

Thanks for the pics. I had originally thought to place the throttle servo in the main area with the other items but now I have seen suggestions the idea of moving it right up to the engine opens lots more options.

Forum has come to the rescue it seems

Bruce

Thanks for the note re the undercarriage. I will probably stick to my usual engine first landings to save the undercarriage from damage. I usually stick a couple of spins in to make them look more dramaticcrook

Bruce Collinson24/09/2018 19:02:41
248 forum posts

Sam,

Thought that was my remit! Hence the Best Flier in the Club flew it ....

You probably spotted, Pete’s DLE isn’t a 20 RA as it has radial mounts and standoffs. I think there’s loads more room between his carb and the firewall than there is in mine, without pulling the engine a long way forward and both batteries are already well aft of the c of g.

BTC

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
CML
Revoc
Overlander
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us