Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Turnigy SK3 3536 1050 rpm/v current rating confusion

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geoff Sleath29/09/2018 18:14:42
3145 forum posts
247 photos

I have a Turnigy SK3 3536 1050 rpm/v motor which is a survivor from the sad write off of my Fugly. I'm thinking of acquiring a Max Thrust Ruckus (airframe only) and I think this may suit. I was checking its max current rating on the HK site and was surprised to find 2 motors with that designation with different current ratings (and prices) which I thought a bit odd.

SK3 3536 1050 rpm/volt #1

SK3 3536 1050 rpm/volt #2

Not sure which one mine is but somewhat puzzled. I have a 50 amp esc so I'll probably go with an 11x6 prop as a 12x6 I checked drew 42 amps wot.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 29/09/2018 18:17:25

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator29/09/2018 22:12:13
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Different warehouses Geoff. The first is EU, the second UK. I suspect the slight price difference reflects differences in the exchange rates between the respective currencies (Euro and Sterling) and the USD when the Euro price is subsequently converted to pounds.

BEB

PatMc29/09/2018 22:32:23
4003 forum posts
501 photos

BEB, the price difference doesn't account for the differences in current & power ratings or a few other anomalies in the respective listings.

Chris Walby30/09/2018 08:15:49
772 forum posts
153 photos

IMHO it could be a number of reasons

• Different batch from the manufacturer slight change in spec
  • Different version (the Prodrive range changed version and the spec's changed, but it was hard to see in the sale blurb, oh and the mounting spacing changed sad
  • For the same motor some suppliers independently test (not in this case admittedly) and their own results are different to the manufacturers spec

Do you really need the 40A continuously as opposed to 34A? if you are flying (just) with that sort of margin then it might be worth a recalculation!

Just had a look at the Rucus and Century use the little RIOT pancake motor.. I don't think you will have an issue. Install everything and do a few power tests with different props to get a prop pulling 32A and fly.

Edited By Chris Walby on 30/09/2018 08:16:35

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator30/09/2018 08:51:21
15748 forum posts
1460 photos
Well Pat, I thought that was self explanatory. Clearly and rather obviously the UK one is better as always! 😀

BEB
Geoff Sleath30/09/2018 11:33:45
3145 forum posts
247 photos

Chris, it's not a problem about whether or not the motor is adequate. I'm sure it will be fine on an 11x6 (35 amps). It just seems strange that there are 2 quite different specs for what is presunably the same motor. I find quite often that motor data is in adequate to make sensible decisions. According to my records I'd assumed it was 34 amps maximum when I set it up so I was surprised to find the difference. Oddly the resistance is the same for both motors so perhaps it's a clerical error?

Geoff

stevan Lewis 130/09/2018 11:36:12
61 forum posts
2 photos

The UK one is the new version which is rear mount only. I use ne with a 60amp YEP Esc and 12x6 light wood prop. Never had a problem, it’s a really good motor.

Steve

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Motion RC
CML
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
Revoc
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us