Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Funfly Electric Motor

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Shaun Roberts02/10/2018 21:22:35
14 forum posts

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of building an electric SLEC fun fly.

SLEC lists an AXI 2826/10 as a good motor however they seem quite expensive at £85! Ive searched for alternatives but to be quite honest im not sure what im looking at.

Could someone recommend a good affordable electric motor? Im not cheap honestly lol but dont have an awful lot of spare cash!

Cheers,

Shaun.

Percy Verance02/10/2018 21:42:38
8109 forum posts
155 photos

Hi Shaun

I'd take a look at the 4 Max ( Purple Power ) site, or better still ring or e mail George at 4MAX. He'll give you some useful tips plus all the help/advice you might need. There is also a useful comparison chart on the 4Max site, and this shows dozens of electric set-ups for lots of commercially available models, including kits, artf's and plan built models. And when you've decided what to go for, George can sell you it too......

There's little doubt the AXI motors are superb products and probably worth every penny, but you ought to be able to source a reasonable quality alternative for around half the cost of the AXI I'd have thought....... again the 4Max site has a direct comparison chart for most makes of motors, and looking at that will give you a good indication of what alternatives you might choose.

Edited By Percy Verance on 02/10/2018 21:43:48

Nigel R02/10/2018 22:46:05
2935 forum posts
470 photos
Shaun

I think this is about 4lb or so ready to take off?

I Would suggest a
D3548/5 motor from hobbyking.

On 4s it Can easily be propped between 400w and 800w which gives plenty of scope to choose performance!
Shaun Roberts02/10/2018 22:47:34
14 forum posts

Thanks for the quick replies guys

Still a bit wet behind the ears with electric motors etc

PatMc02/10/2018 23:00:35
4170 forum posts
520 photos

Any of the motors in this HK page should be suitable, just a question of balancing a lower kv one with large dia prop for better climb rate or a a higher kv with smaller prop for speed.

Nigel R02/10/2018 23:09:01
2935 forum posts
470 photos
What sort of performance are you after?
Shaun Roberts02/10/2018 23:32:33
14 forum posts

Hi,

Would like enough power to vertical climb so was trying to stick close to what SLEC advise I used to be quite a good pilot.....but that was 15 years ago lol

Found https://www.4-max.co.uk/po-3547-960.html which is the equivalant. To my untrained eye looks fairly well suited??? and at a reasonable price.

Sorry for all the questions.....I'm learning slowly

Cheers,

Shaun.

Percy Verance03/10/2018 06:11:01
8109 forum posts
155 photos

Hi again Shaun

If it's shown on the 4 Max site as being an equivalent it'll be fine. Once you've decided on the motor there's the speed controller to sort. It's generally a sound idea to have some additional capacity ( sometimes referred to as *headroom* when choosing ESC's). If a 50amp job is specced, choose a 60amp. The end result will be that it runs cooler, plus you'll have a built in safety margin for experimenting with different props etc.

Nothing wrong with asking lots of questions Shaun. It's a lot cheaper than buying the wrong stuff........

Nigel R03/10/2018 10:00:51
2935 forum posts
470 photos

Ok, vertical smiley I would guess (given the model weight) you will probably need about 600W output then.

The 4-max po-3547-960 will be the same size and characteristics as the hobbyking 3548 type. They are sourced from the same place (XYH in China).

I would go with the hobbyking motor here:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-aerodrive-sk3-3548-840kv-brushless-outrunner-motor-1.html

ESC, would particularly recommend the Turnigy Plush type:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-plush-60amp-speed-controller.html

I'd suggest 4S4000mah size lipo e.g.:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-battery-4000mah-4s-30c-lipo-pack-xt-60.html

and try an 11x5 (to start with). Up the pitch to 11x6 if that's not enough grunt.

I use the same spec motor and ESC in a 5lb model. On an 11x8 prop it shows 800W output, and will (just about) accelerate vertically. Putting the 11x5 on will drop the power to about the right amount for your lighter model.

Do you own a wattmeter yet? Absolutely essential tool - would advise getting one. You can easily adjust the prop to get the right power output with one of these things. They're a proper swiss army knife for setting up an electric model.

Edited By Nigel R on 03/10/2018 10:05:14

PatMc03/10/2018 11:46:29
4170 forum posts
520 photos

IMO Nigel's advised package is spot on, though if you have enough ground clearance for a bigger prop this 700kv version of the same motor would give better vertical at the expense of all out speed. BTW ignore the max power figures in both motor descriptions, they don't tally with the max current & voltage range.

The 4-Max motor has several disadvantages compared with both HK ones, it would only take be able to use 3s lipo for the same dia props (which means lower potential power) or, on 4s, would have to use a smaller prop to stay within current limits. Also the motor shaft is at the "wrong" end, requiring use of the bolt on prop driver which can be troublesome if it's are a fraction out of true centre & it means ensuring clearance for the 5mm shaft that's projecting into the firewall mount.

Redex03/10/2018 17:25:32
147 forum posts

Hi Shaun

I fly this model and is good fun. My setup is with and an E-Power GT2826/05 860KV brushless outrunner, JP EnErG Pro 60 SBEC, APC-E 12*6 prop and a Turnigy 4000mA 4S 30C Li Po.

Shaun Roberts03/10/2018 19:23:03
14 forum posts

Hi,

Thank you all for the brilliant advice and tips They are all very much appreciated

Think i'm going to run with all of Nigel R's components and see how she flies.

Kind Regards,

Shaun

Nigel R04/10/2018 08:53:47
2935 forum posts
470 photos

No worries Shaun let us know how you get on

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Addlestone Models
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us