Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

What WOT 4 (ARTF electric)?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geoff Sleath10/10/2018 23:41:47
3035 forum posts
247 photos

Well, I managed to get the motor fitted after a bit of a faff. Most of the said faff was sorting through my notorious junk drawer seeking a suitable piece of material to mount the motor on. It's probably just as well I didn't buy the electric motor mounting accessory kit because the cross-shaped mount on my motor is bigger than most and probably wouldn't have fitted.

In the end, after an abortive attempt with some 3mm aluminium which ended up with the nuts for the studding fouling the nuts for the motor, I used a piece of 3mm old fibre glass PC board which seems to be sufficiently sturdy. I suspect I rescued it from a scrap bin at work which means I've had it for over 23 years - you see junk does indeed get used eventually. The piece of aluminium definitely came from work because it was originally the front panel of an MC68000 OS9 development system we used to play with!

dscn2157.jpg

Kim, not sure if the ARTF Wot4 has become beefier but this one seems to be quite light, though I haven't weighed it. Mine will be 4S 4AH. All the stuff I'm using to get it in the air I have already and this airframe is just a means to an end - a quick build winter hack. I just wanted a rough idea of the final all-up weight to get a feel for the necessary power I needed. It looks like I'll achieve 100 watts/lb which is more than enough. I don't have the talent to be a real hooligan!

Kings Lynn Models wasn't the cheapest source; they are about £5 dearer than some others but I've had good service from them in the past and really a fiver's neither here nor there.

Thanks for the replies gents. I won't bother detailing the actual 'build' except where I deviate slightly from standard. It looks quite well made with triangular stock in the right corners but I'll probably daub some WEST epoxy around inside to make sure things like the u/c plate stay where they should.

Geoff

Brian Dorricott 110/10/2018 23:56:05
64 forum posts
2 photos

Geoff your a man after my own heart , I tell the wife I'll keep that you never know when you want it , she tells me it's junk I throw it and the day after you need the same ! I never say what's all that wool and material in your workroom for because that's a one way ticket to the doghouse !

Geoff Sleath11/10/2018 00:02:49
3035 forum posts
247 photos

Brian, I'm not sure if it's fortunate or not but my wife and I are of the same mind when it comes to hoarding. I always tell people we live in luxurious squalor Right now there are several models stored 'temporarily' in the lounge because I'll be getting them out at the weekend.

Geoff

Old Geezer11/10/2018 07:47:01
542 forum posts

I'm with you Geoff on the u/c reinforcement - except that I use thinned epoxy and a some glass cloth off-cuts to spread the load beyond the ply plate fore and aft and a little way up the sides. Oh, and I also use 3 or 4 inch air wheels too - these take some of the sting out of a less than perfect landing and a side benefit is that they roll better if the grass on the patch is a bit long.

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator11/10/2018 07:58:46
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

The weight question has filled me with curiousity now! It's perfectly possible my memory is at fault - it was some time ago when I put this together.

I'll try to nip out to the shed this afternoon and quickly weigh the WOTTY. I'll report back.

BEB

Kim Taylor11/10/2018 10:54:43
222 forum posts
53 photos
Posted by Kim Taylor on 10/10/2018 20:21:41:

I don't know if they've got heavier over time, but my one which I recently completed, albeit using a 6s 2700 Lipo, weighs 6 pounds.

I know my power train (which I had 'in stock' ) is a bit ott, but I don't think it's a pound and a half heavier than a 'standard' setup.

I you look at the Wot 4 artf thread, most electrics seem to come out at around 5 and a half pounds, which I would agree with.

Kim

Edited By Kim Taylor on 10/10/2018 20:22:38

Edited By Kim Taylor on 10/10/2018 20:23:17

Just for comparison purposes, I've weighed my LiPo which comes in at 425g and the catalogue weight of my motor - EMax 4020/09 - is 290g.

As I said above, total weight of mine is pretty much spot on 6lb, so you should be able to work it back from there.

Kim

Jonathan M11/10/2018 11:45:10
498 forum posts
257 photos

Ordered mine now from SMC who had all the particular bits I wanted and threw in 2/3 different props for watt testing.

Overlander power-train: Tornado Thumper Brushless 4250/06 800KV (about 800W), 60A ESC (max 80A 10 secs), and some 4s 4,250mAh batts - all of which is a little meatier (and heavier) than the 4-Max options.

New Power XL-38HMB servos - metal geared standards.

3" foam wheels

Watt-meter.

Will be interesting to see what it all weighs... and how it eventually flies... and for how long per battery! laugh

Cheers

Jon

Bob Cotsford11/10/2018 12:08:31
7584 forum posts
427 photos

If I could extract myself from this armchair I'd go and weigh mine but I doubt it weighs as little as 4 1/2 lb even without the battery. The supposedly lightweight Wot 4 Pro is listed as 4.4 lb so I would have thought 6 -6 1/2 lb more likely for the full blooded one.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
Slec
Expo Tools 14 July
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us