Forum sponsored by CML

Mercury original 33" Tiger Moth Kit

Advice needed !!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
FastFlyer Smyth10/10/2018 00:06:12
309 forum posts
11 photos

So, I've been a lurker here for long enough and it's been a long long time since i put a sharp knife anywhere near balsa wood. I was lucky enough to pick up a Mercury 33" original Tiger Moth kit for the princely sum of £2.50 from a local charity shop on Friday just gone. Who could resist a bargain like that ? It's a kit I always had my eye on as a kid but the pocket money never quite stretched far enough to actually buy one. Looking through the kit it would seem that it is very complete. If there are any short falls I do still have a scrap box !! Having perused the plan and instruction's it's quite clearly crying out to be built and for a small diesel to be fitted to the sharp end. However, I will electrify it with a small motor and rudder and elevator control. I don't think I'm going to have a problem with the business end of the Tiggy as there is more than enough on that subject in these great forums to assist with that, if I need any help there I will be asking. What bothers me are the "Knock off" wings and tail feathers designed in the event of a hard free flight landing. The tail will obviously be fixed but what do I do about the wings ? Do I stay with the existing system of attaching them since I won't have ailerons ? They use a tube system to attach to the fuz using hooks and bands. I am intending to do a build blog but this will be a slow build due to other commitments/responsibilities -  I am a full time carer for my now sadly disabled wife. Any help gladly accepted..... Cheers all.....

tiggy2.jpg

Edited By FastFlyer Smyth on 10/10/2018 00:09:51

Tom Sharp 210/10/2018 00:46:32
3348 forum posts
17 photos

Build it as it is, no one will look at it if you convert it into another run of the mill ARTF

Geoff Sleath10/10/2018 01:12:31
3238 forum posts
247 photos

Why would changing the wing mounting method make this little Tiggie look like 'another run of the mill ARTF'? I have 2 Moths (a Tiggie and a Gypsy) both are DB 58" ws versions and neither has been built exactly to the plans/instructions. Neither look in the least like ARTF models.

FFS, if the wing mounting method is sufficiently robust and unlikely to fail in flight then there's no reason to change it. Never the less there's no reason why you shouldn't opt to change the wing fixings if you think it would make the model better suited to your needs. You might also consider closed loop control for elevator and rudder to add a little scale touch.

One of the big drawbacks of a biplane is the extra rigging needed, though I guess a 33" ws model could be left fully rigged. I suggest having a look at the DB web-site to see how they fix the interplane struts because it's very simple and quick.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 10/10/2018 01:13:28

Martin Harris10/10/2018 01:49:04
8473 forum posts
212 photos

Was Tom warning against electrifrightening the poor little thing?

P.S. I had visions of the moderators descending upon you from a great height Geoff, until I looked at the OP's initials!

Edited By Martin Harris on 10/10/2018 01:52:07

FastFlyer Smyth10/10/2018 01:57:01
309 forum posts
11 photos

Took all that time to suss it out Martin......Someone finally had the sense.....

brokenenglish10/10/2018 07:26:16
409 forum posts
28 photos

I flew one of these for years. It was absolutely superb. One of the best models I've ever had.

Mine was FF, with a Mills 75, which I still have. The wing retaining system shown on the plan worked perfectly, and I'm sure it would be perfectly OK for gentle flying RC.

I still dream of building another, perhaps with a PAW 100 RC, although with the inverted engine, a side-port (Mills or Amco) would be easier to start...

Needless to say, I agree with Tom's comments above. The only mod. I would make would be to laminate the tail surface outlines. If ever there was an argument against electric foamies, this model is it!

Manish Chandrayan10/10/2018 09:34:34
554 forum posts
65 photos

That was my first ever Tiger Moth and started my love for the Tiger Moth.

My suggestion would be to build the wing attachments per plan since you are not using ailerons. The wing will be strong enough for gentle flying even in RC mode.

Rigging could be simple elastic threads, and the entire model could remain rigged.

Would love to follow your blog.

I believe some one is kitting this model and the plans are also available on outerzone

Tomtom3910/10/2018 10:36:23
678 forum posts
1 photos

What a wonderful bargain Fast flyer. I have a little Mills in my old Mercury/Keil Kraft Tiger Moth. However a club member has built one with electric and 3ch Radio. It flies beautifully on nice calm day. I think his tail feathers are fixed with bands for the wings per plan. I will try and get some pictures of it.

Geoff Sleath10/10/2018 10:43:53
3238 forum posts
247 photos
Posted by Martin Harris on 10/10/2018 01:49:04:

Was Tom warning against electrifrightening the poor little thing?

P.S. I had visions of the moderators descending upon you from a great height Geoff, until I looked at the OP's initials!

Edited By Martin Harris on 10/10/2018 01:52:07

Hmmm, yes I noticed after I'd posted being a very gentle soul myself. blush

As you can see from my little sign-on picture of my own DB Tiggie I quite like them but my Gypsy Moth from the same stable flies much better for some reason. Keep us posted on your progress. It's a perfect model to convert to electric power.

Geoff

Peter Miller10/10/2018 13:45:12
9835 forum posts
1157 photos
10 articles

I have one of them back in the 50s with the MIlls.75. FF ofcourse. IT lfew like a dream. Then in the 70s I had another one, again Mills powered.

The latter provided one of those memories that are completely fixed in my mind.. I can still picture and hear it now.

It was on New Years Day, a perfect, bright,clear day with no wind at all. A few of us went down to the water meadows (Now out of bounds to modelsangry)

On one flight my Tiger Moth circled round and then glided in for a perfect landing only about 15 feet from us. I can still hear the sound of the dead grass stems tickling the wing leading edge as it came in on a long very flat glide.. Sheer and true magic.

brokenenglish10/10/2018 14:01:00
409 forum posts
28 photos

Peter, I wondered whether you would chip in here.
My Tiger Moth, mentioned above, was built and first flew in Aden, from the gypsum runway at Sheik Othman, that I'm sure you must remember well. That was in 1963/4.

It flew so well that I made a special protective box and actually brought it back to the UK. It survived until around 1980, and I really regret having scrapped it.

Like yourself, I have a few magic and unique memories with that plane.

Piers Bowlan10/10/2018 16:04:27
1753 forum posts
42 photos

The model seems to have stirred lots pf memories FFS. Now if you were sufficiently moved to take your pristine plan to your local copy shop and have them scan it in pdf format, they could email the pdf to you and you in turn, forward the email to Outerzone for inclusion in their plans depository. Who knows, before long there might be hundreds of the old Mercury Tiger Moths flitting about, worldwide. Alternatively perhaps RCM&E might re-publish it in a future edition as one of Shawn Garity's revivals. Actually, I have just realised that the plan is still available from Derek's Plans. (It is under Free Flight scale power)

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 10/10/2018 16:11:42

Manish Chandrayan10/10/2018 17:01:59
554 forum posts
65 photos

The plan is already available on OZ. A short kit is available from Belair and full kit from Here

Peter Miller10/10/2018 18:15:46
9835 forum posts
1157 photos
10 articles
Posted by brokenenglish on 10/10/2018 14:01:00:

Peter, I wondered whether you would chip in here.
My Tiger Moth, mentioned above, was built and first flew in Aden, from the gypsum runway at Sheik Othman, that I'm sure you must remember well. That was in 1963/4.

It flew so well that I made a special protective box and actually brought it back to the UK. It survived until around 1980, and I really regret having scrapped it.

Like yourself, I have a few magic and unique memories with that plane.

Oh yes, Sheik Othman. Happy days. THat picture is 1961. I still talk to one our club on Friday nights and swap Christmas cards with another.

sheik othman.jpg

Piers Bowlan10/10/2018 19:12:48
1753 forum posts
42 photos

Looks very HOT Peter, not much chance of your glider landing in a tree! Do you remember what the model was?

Thanks Manish, I should have checked, now no excuses for not building one! I remember seeing the kit in my LMS years ago but sadly the shop closed when the owner retired. The shop was his hobby, but he had some high tech CNC machining going on at the back, which was his bread and butter. ('Model Corner', Horsham)

Peter Miller10/10/2018 21:04:11
9835 forum posts
1157 photos
10 articles

I can't remember what the model was, it wasn't mine.

Lets just put it this way, when the temprature got down to 80F it was too cold to go swimming, no one went to the pool in the cool season!!!

Edited By Peter Miller on 10/10/2018 21:04:34

Lowandslow14/02/2019 14:25:59
10 forum posts

Just wondering how you are getting on with your build of the Tiger Moth? I have been looking for one and have missed two in the last 3 months on eBay. Thinking of possibly getting one from The Vintage Model Company on line and could do with some tips if you are making progress with yours. Cheers.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Motion RC
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us