Forum sponsored by CML

So Handy - Just Down The Road.......

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Percy Verance10/10/2018 21:14:04
6993 forum posts
140 photos

Hi Chaps

Living in a fairly small rural village, one tends to keep an eye open for anything new or unusual. Not too long ago a farm not too far from our village opened up a farm shop cum tea shop cum cafe. It's literally in the middle of nowhere so it was always going to have to be something a bit special to succeed, and so it seems to have proved to be. The owners have developed the site to include a popular fishery along with the other attractions. Such is it's reputation now among locals ( and some not so local ) it is now sometimes necessary to book a table prior to a visit. Indeed, the site has become something of a favourite with a member of the Royal Family, who has visited a number of times.

So, just to test the water, so to speak, I decided a road test would reveal all. I chose the Full English breakfast, comprising of almost all produce from the farm itself. The plate was empty once I had finished......

Lake District Breakfast......

lake district breakfast.jpg

and if a spot of lunch takes your fancy......

u fancy lunch.jpg

As you can probably tell, vegetarians are a rarity in the Lakes........

Edited By Percy Verance on 10/10/2018 21:23:24

fly boy310/10/2018 22:18:39
3301 forum posts
11 photos

Nice one Percy, what an inviting picture, I could eat that now even if it it 10pm. You cannot beat a full English and I m Wesh lol. Cheers

Jon - Laser Engines10/10/2018 22:52:23
4031 forum posts
154 photos

Im half tempted to call in sick tomorrow and head on up there. Only a 7 hour drive :D

Geoff Sleath10/10/2018 23:57:40
2848 forum posts
218 photos

Well, the meat eaters often looked with envy at our vegetarian Christmas dinner when we stayed at Patterdale YHA for the festive season as we did for quite a few years These days it's quite rare for our diet not to be catered for even in the Lakes though I laud small enterprises wherever they are especially in places like the national parks where jobs can be thin on the ground for locals.

I suppose I'd have to have 2 puddings

Geoff

Tom Sharp 211/10/2018 00:28:00
3147 forum posts
17 photos

Not a lot of joy in food for me nowadays, being Type two diabetic with high blood pressure. sad

cymaz11/10/2018 06:40:31
7836 forum posts
1024 photos

Looks good PV...” eat, drink and be merry. For tomorrow you may diet.”

Percy Verance11/10/2018 07:42:06
6993 forum posts
140 photos

Well Jon, if you were to do so you may well be in hallowed company. HRH Prince Charles has visited and held meetings with prominent members of the local farming community on a number of occasions. Framed photographs of some of his visits adorn the walls.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 11/10/2018 08:01:51

Graham R11/10/2018 07:44:06
282 forum posts
19 photos

Only one thing missing on the breakfast table - freshly made English mustard.

Percy Verance11/10/2018 07:49:26
6993 forum posts
140 photos

It is available Graham. You only need to ask........ I'm sure it's sold in the farm shop section, along with a whole host of produce made on the premises.

I bought a family size steak pie on my last visit. It tasted fabulous. Sausage lovers are well catered for in the farm shop. I counted a fair number of varieties..........

Geoff

They do in fact offer alternative menus, both vegetarian and glutton free.

Edited By Percy Verance on 11/10/2018 08:12:31

Percy Verance11/10/2018 08:36:38
6993 forum posts
140 photos

Geoff

Further to your comment regarding jobs/employment in the Lakes. I think we're fairly fortunate in that we have one of the lowest rates of unemployment in the country. It presently stands at about 2 or 3%. Indeed, Sainsbury's have very recently opened a new store in the nearest town to me, and that is estimated to have provided around 250 new jobs. Our local newspaper at the minute seems to have a couple of pages of job vacancies every week, so things aren't as bad here as they perhaps are in large city areas.

Just glancing at last week's local paper Geoff, there are job vacancies in Engineering, Teaching/Education, Local Authorities, Civil Engineering, Tourism etc......plus a whole host of part-time positions.

Edited By Percy Verance on 11/10/2018 08:55:37

Kim Taylor11/10/2018 08:54:45
196 forum posts
53 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 11/10/2018 08:36:38:

Geoff

Further to your comment regarding jobs/employment in the Lakes. I think we're fairly fortunate in that we have one of the lowest rates of unemployment in the country. I think it presently stands at about 2 or 3%. Indeed, Sainsbury's have very recently opened a new store in the nearest town to me, and that is estimated to have provided around 250 new jobs. Our local newspaper at the minute seems to have a couple of pages of job vacancies every week, so things aren't as bad here as they perhaps are in large city areas.

Just glancing at last week's local paper Geoff, there are job vacancies in Engineering, Teaching/Education, Local Authorities, Civil Engineering, Tourism etc......

Edited By Percy Verance on 11/10/2018 08:43:33

That's just mad - but good, obviously.

Down here in Sussex, pretty much any 'job' advertised in the paper would be a call centre, care worker or other similar service industry. And all at minimum wage, or whatever it's called nowadays.sad

Kim

Percy Verance11/10/2018 09:00:55
6993 forum posts
140 photos

Hi Kim

Such are the difficulties filling some roles here Kim, I have seen cleaning jobs advertised at £12 per hour. Even a local chip shop was offering almost £10 per hour to fill one spot they had......

When I saw the new Sainsbury's store was about to open, creating up to 250 jobs, I did wonder where they might find all the people they would need.... The nearest town to me has a population of 30,000 or so by the way........

Edited By Percy Verance on 11/10/2018 09:04:02

Cuban811/10/2018 09:45:18
2110 forum posts
4 photos

Interesting price list photo - similar fare here in N.Essex would be something like 20% more expensive. £10-£12 per hour for unskilled labour............not in this neck of the woods I can assure you. Minimum wage more like. The exception was a job for a lavatory cleaner (public conveniences) that was recently advertised by the local council.........full time £10 per hour.

My wife works in the NHS, she's not medically trained but has considerable experience and knowledge of  healthcare management and protocols and seeing that patients receive the best and most appropriate care..................salary wise she'd do better as a cleaner and with a lot less worry.  Very wrong.

Edited By Cuban8 on 11/10/2018 09:59:41

Mowerman11/10/2018 10:27:44
1514 forum posts
103 photos

All that place needs now is a flying field next door then it would be perfect.

Bob Burton11/10/2018 10:32:41
176 forum posts
Posted by Percy Verance on 11/10/2018 07:49:26:

They do in fact offer alternative menus, both vegetarian and glutton free.

Edited By Percy Verance on 11/10/2018 08:12:31

I am going to assume that was deliberate.

Or was it ?

Percy Verance11/10/2018 11:08:10
6993 forum posts
140 photos

C8 the hospitality industy in the Lakes is presently going through something of a staffing crisis. Vistor numbers to the Lakes have increased considerably in the past few years, and with the area being awarded World Heritage Status, the visitor numbers continue to rise year on year. Many hotels and guest houses are struggling to find the staff they need to meet demand.......

Odd you commented on the prices C8. Those prices are slightly top end-ish for the area. The fact that the premises are occasionally frequented by Royalty won't have anything to do with it though surely.....? wink There is also another little place Charlie likes. It's a small pub on the fringes of the Yorkshire Dales. They serve real ale there, which he alledgedly enjoys. It's near a large isolated hunting lodge type place, where he alledgedly spends time with old friends and indulges in a spot of shooting etc. I shan't say too much otherwise I might end up locked up in the Tower....... I happened to call in on one occasion, not knowing who the mystery vistor was in the dining room. I sussed it out afterwards when I noticed two glum faced dudes sat near the door drinking orange juice with seemingly large bulges under their armpits.

Mowerman

The fishery part is used by a couple of model boat clubs, and is popular. Electric powered waterplanes are occasionally flown, but with trees being in farly close proximity it isn't brilliant. There are reasonably level/flat fields adjacent to the farm, but again they'd need some work before models could readily be flown there. As far as I'm aware, the site owner has no objection to model aircraft, but any work needed (earth moving, mowing etc) would have to be arranged and financed by those whom wish to operate the models......food for thought? No pun intended.... It isn't something I could take on. I have enough on my plate as it is, but you probably knew that already......

P.S. Bob, sometimes it's best to assume...... wink

Edited By Percy Verance on 11/10/2018 11:39:00

Percy Verance11/10/2018 11:49:24
6993 forum posts
140 photos

C8

Perhaps you need to consider retiring to here? smiley You do need a good raincoat though, and the Winters can be a bit chilly........

There is a downside of course. NHS waiting lists can be longer here than in other areas. And you might end up forking out more for car tyres, as some roads round here are just shocking....a case in point would be the access road to the place I mentioned in my OP. It's little more than a farm track.

Edited By Percy Verance on 11/10/2018 11:56:03

Kim Taylor11/10/2018 14:05:55
196 forum posts
53 photos

Don't get me started on the roads Percy.

One particular pothole on a road I drive along a lot has got so big that the other day, when it was raining hard and a puddle hid the pothole, a newish BMW went down the pothole and lost its entire nearside front wheel and suspension arm, which was laying in the road next to the car.

Big bill for the council coming up, but they can't afford to fix the hole!!!

When I was younger we used to mock the state of roads in rural France - the boot is on the other foot now.

Kim

p.s. My daughter, at her last job, which she left recently was paid less than £6 per hour when you worked it out, although she did get accommodation included for which she had to pay all household bills.

She often started at 4 a.m. and often wouldn't be finished until 9 in the evening on the same day, having driven an HGV to and from wherever the meet was that day. A professional truck driver wouldn't have been allowed to do those hours!

You will have guessed that she was classed as working in the agricultural industry - in fact she was looking after the farmers horses.

Percy Verance11/10/2018 14:34:58
6993 forum posts
140 photos

That's just plain wrong Kim. Her employer must obviously have been one of those types whom felt that you ought to be paying them for the privilage of working for them.....

Some people want it all for nothing, complete with chocolate topping.  Pittance wages for unreasonably long hours ought to carry a jail term. Even our local Asda store is ( as far as I know ) paying £10 per hour for shelf/stock replenishment.....

Edited By Percy Verance on 11/10/2018 14:52:12

Cuban811/10/2018 15:27:01
2110 forum posts
4 photos

TBH, it's swings and roundabouts. My daughter and son-in-law live near Burton, S.Derbyshire, and we see them once a month. the cost of living for some things is cheaper than E.Anglia - petrol and diesel, eating out, second hand cars, dare I mention houses and rent? On the other hand I like living near the coast, easy access to London is handy for some.

Traffic round here is getting steadily worse because of crazy levels of house building to cater for exiles from London, which puts pressure on the trains, roads and just about everything else.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
Motion RC
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us