ASP anybody?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Cuban813/10/2018 10:03:55
2869 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 13/10/2018 09:57:06:

C8

You can make a 1.20 four stroke last a busy flying day on half a gallon of fuel? I'm impressed. What's the secret?

Edited By Percy Verance on 13/10/2018 09:57:28

Best case scenario I suppose. Half a dozen flights with my Spit just cruising about at scale speed doesn't use anywhere near the performance models of course. Adds weight to the argument, and why so many big quality four stroke glows are available second hand, for not a lot of money.

Jon.

I really don't think the cost of fuel is the main factor, it's just the inconvenience and availability of buying glow fuel in relatively large quantities, and very often being limited to getting it at the shows or paying extra for having  it couriered. Just the impression that I'm getting from others.

Edited By Cuban8 on 13/10/2018 10:14:33

CARPERFECT13/10/2018 10:33:45
504 forum posts
9 photos

Don Fry, i have messaged you,

ChrisB13/10/2018 10:45:28
1220 forum posts
34 photos

3 flights on my Flair Stearman with a Laser 300v using a 24oz tank will clear over 1/3 of a gallon. Do I care about the cost of glow fuel? Nope, not in the slightest, it’s a hobby and I’m more than happy to pay for fuel to get a good quality, nice sounding and reliable engine.

Percy Verance13/10/2018 10:54:31
8108 forum posts
155 photos

You may not care one jot about the cost of glow fuel Chris, but if the general availability of mass market engines continues to dwindle, then actually acquiring glow fuel may become an issue in time.......

Not seeking confrontation here, it's simply a thought.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 13/10/2018 10:56:24

Dave Hess13/10/2018 11:08:29
303 forum posts
18 photos

As more and more people switch over to electric motors, more and more I/C motor manufacturers will find that they're factories are no longer viable. It's the same with cars: The I/C motor is dead. Long live the electric motor.

BTW, if you want to make some money, invest in copper. It will be the new oil.

Piers Bowlan13/10/2018 11:25:40
2052 forum posts
53 photos
Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 12/10/2018 20:04:40:

According to JE the ASP factory is moving and the engines are not available for the foreseeable future. Anybody any inside info?. Not a lot of ASP in stock on the JE site!.

Back to the OP.... I just had a look on the JE site and all the 4 STs were in stock as far as I could see and the only 2 STs showing out of stock were the 12, 46-short engine (46 standard, OK) and 91, - perhaps they just had a delivery?

I wouldn't consider the relocation of the factory as necessarily significant, as in the Far East businesses frequently relocate when there is a hike in the rent on their industrial building. Hobby King relocated about five time in the years I used to visit Hong Kong. Most hobby products are produced in batches and the different production runs are often produced in alternative locations.

If ASP cut back their 2 ST production I would not find it at all surprising however, as I find it amazing that they can turn a profit with their very low prices. They have a huge global market, I wouldn't right them off too soon.

p.s. I have just bought my first Laser (80). It is a thing of beauty and great value, so I won't be buying any more ASPs!

Percy Verance13/10/2018 11:41:23
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Welcome to Laser ownership Piers. You will now discover why so many Laser owners rave about them......

They really are in a class of their own.

Percy Verance13/10/2018 12:28:27
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Dave

Most folk are too busy earning a living to make any money....... 

I'm not sure the i.c. engine is dead yet, but it certainly isn't on the up.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 13/10/2018 12:29:43

John Stainforth13/10/2018 19:20:18
326 forum posts
39 photos

Jon,

OS 2 strokes are still very popular in the US. What I have noticed in the US is that the cost of glow fuel has shot up in the last couple of months from around 20 dollars a gallon for 15% nitro to around 30 dollars. Locals say they think it is because of Trump's tariffs on China, where nitromethane is made.

Don Fry13/10/2018 20:01:36
4557 forum posts
54 photos

Possibly, there are not many nitro methane plants in the world. I think, don't shoot me if I'm wrong, there are two in Europe. So tariff barriers can effect local prices.

Mind, I would not sleep at night if fuel went from 20 to 30 dollars. That's for me, 100 dollars a year. Going to have to rob a bank.

john stones 113/10/2018 20:49:40
11193 forum posts
1507 photos

Sold all my glows a while ago, it was a pain getting fuel, I miss em especially the 4 strokes, mind I get to fly other peoples, so it ain't all bad.

Former Member14/10/2018 00:15:15
3578 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

nigel newby14/10/2018 00:38:21
161 forum posts
40 photos

At our club the majority still fly I/C motors. Fuel is about £22 to £35 a gallon. It's a a shame I cannot stick my old 50cc Honda engine in a plane, but a high boy might be a =bit nose heavy

David Davis14/10/2018 05:36:27
3598 forum posts
659 photos

My club makes and sells its own glow fuel rather more cheaply than you can buy it in the shops. Custom mixes are available too, but the trend is obvious, electric motors are replacing glows for powering small to medium sized models and petrol engines, available pretty cheaply from China, are replacing glows for powering larger models.

There is an opening in the market for someone who can produce a good fourstroke petrol engine and a well-known British manufacturer is working towards this end! smiley. Those that have been produced so far seem not to have been satisfactory.

onetenor14/10/2018 07:13:03
1901 forum posts

I fly small to medium sized planes and like 2 sts both glow and diesels. Mainly old ones. Reason? I get longer flights on I/Cs and can't be bothered with the attendant faff recharging batteries. Re glow fuel I make my own and diesel too if I can get ether. Much cheaper then bought fuels. Re MDS and Magnum motors. I have both and find that a change of carbs with the equivalent OS and Irvine Carbs. OS for the Magnum and Irvine for the MDS. Works wonders. On top of this my pension does not allow much spare cash.so NEW engines are out My biggest engines are 10 ccs. I feel there are others like me who if I/Cs and fuel stop being available one way or another then we will be forced to drop the hobby. Are American engines cheap? That may be an answer if they are.

Ron Gray14/10/2018 07:29:51
1707 forum posts
479 photos
Posted by David Davis on 14/10/2018 05:36:27:

There is an opening in the market for someone who can produce a good fourstroke petrol engine and a well-known British manufacturer is working towards this end! smiley. Those that have been produced so far seem not to have been satisfactory.

????

David Davis14/10/2018 07:58:21
3598 forum posts
659 photos
Posted by Ron Gray on 14/10/2018 07:29:51:

????

I'm not fully familiar with the laws of libel or slander Ron so I will desist from naming names but the above statement is based upon the mixed reception which a new Far Eastern manufacturer has had, well documented online, and on the opinion of a club colleague who bought a petrol powered four-stroke produced by a better-known manufacturer which he found to be unsatisfactory. It vibrated too much. Perhaps he just had a bad'un and perhaps the other manufacturer has now improved his quality control in the light of some adverse publicity. I have no intention of buying either product.

The British manufacturer is of course Laser who have produced some prototype fourstroke petrol engines but they are not yet available for sale to the general public. Knowing Laser they will not be releasing the petrol engines until all of the bugs have been ironed out. Once they are available to the general public I will consider buying one as I am very pleased with the Laser glow engines which I have acquired. On the other hand I have considerable stocks of glow fuel to get through first.

However, one of the positive spin-offs from the movement away from glow engines, away from two-stroke glow engines in particular, is that they are available very reasonably on eBay for impecuneous aeromodellers.

enya 35.jpg

Edited By David Davis on 14/10/2018 08:00:19

cymaz14/10/2018 08:00:11
9041 forum posts
1189 photos
Posted by Ron Gray on 14/10/2018 07:29:51:

????

Got to disagree DD. Kolm and Roto make some stunning 4t engines....just make sure the bank manager knows.

Ron Gray14/10/2018 09:39:08
1707 forum posts
479 photos

Sorry DD, I thought that you were implying that engines already produced by the well-known British manufacturer had issues, hence my post!!

Jon - Laser Engines14/10/2018 09:57:15
5219 forum posts
254 photos
Posted by John Stainforth on 13/10/2018 19:20:18:

Jon,

OS 2 strokes are still very popular in the US. What I have noticed in the US is that the cost of glow fuel has shot up in the last couple of months from around 20 dollars a gallon for 15% nitro to around 30 dollars. Locals say they think it is because of Trump's tariffs on China, where nitromethane is made.

I am aware from my us customers that glow fuel is stupidly expensive in the USA. It has to be said though, their penchant for very high nitro content does not help them. As you mention, nitro is one of the most expensive ingredients in glow fuel. The methanol itself is not massively more expensive than petrol, its just the oil and nitro so if you come down to 5% nitro and 10% oil you will probably cut the cost by 50%

That is why i recommend the laser 5 and techpower 5 fuels over here. They are usually 17-20 quid and that really helps keep costs down. The lower oil and nitro content also means a reduced fuel consumption so its win win.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CADMA
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us