Forum sponsored by CML

ASP anybody?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
G194015/12/2018 16:44:02
3523 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by nigel newby on 15/12/2018 11:06:02:

A bit like the real ale industry. Big sellers are still around, but it is the small brewer who has more presence in my local. Is it because there are not that many youngsters coming into the hobby? We have the same in amateur radio. In my club at 66 years old I am one of the youngest in my club.

Nigel N

That's interesting. I went to my cousin's funeral yesterday. Obviously a sad occasion but we are not a close family generally and I met his sister, exactly my age (78), for the first time in years. She married the guy who worked for my dad as a TV service engineer before he moved on via Murphy Radio to Pye at Cambridge. He is 10 years older than Mary and I but was a very enthusiastic amateur radio ham (G3GGK if it helps) and he used to build all his own kit - especially mobile, which was a challenge in the 1950s. To some extent even mobile phones have reduced the appeal quite apart from the fact that you can buy kit that not only out performs what you can design and build yourself but is cheaper. Much like aeromodelling, in fact though building models is still a viable and worthwhile exercise IMO.

Both my school-friends and I used to make a lot of our own 'toys' from wooden, pram-wheeled wagons, through fishing rods and catapults to 'telephones' using exWD throat mikes and ear-phones. We maintained our own bikes and built the odd model plane. It's just a different world and we must accept it.

Geoff

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us