By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Wanted: MFA Yamamoto 1600

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robert Telford 114/10/2018 13:28:55
3 forum posts

Hi all! I’m looking for an MFA Yamamoto 1600 trainer (with the fibreglass fuselage). Preferably in as new condition as possible, but will consider anything. Many thanks!

Robert Telford 116/04/2020 12:13:55
3 forum posts

Hi all, still searching in case anyone knows of a kit somewhere. Thanks!

Robin Colbourne16/04/2020 13:13:47
594 forum posts
17 photos

Hi Robert,

I'm pretty sure I have an unfinished one of these, but sadly its not where I'm living at the moment. As and when the lockdown allows me to get to it, I will dig it out and see exactly what I have. From recollection it has a yellow fuselage.

To make sure we are talking about the same model, is this the one sold as the 'New Yamamoto'?

Like the one in this link: MFA New Yamamoto

MFA New Yamamoto Kit Box

Cheers,

Robin

Cuban816/04/2020 13:18:18
2961 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Robert.

Yamamoto with glass fuz?  I flew one of those for a beginner many years ago and thought it was a terrible first trainer model. Very heavy for its size and needed careful handling as it was unforgiving of the usual beginner mistakes. Disastrous if underpowered. A good challenge for someone with experience of a few other models before though.

Edited By Cuban8 on 16/04/2020 13:21:51

Bruce Collinson16/04/2020 13:57:58
537 forum posts

Once again I agree with C8. I was lent one of these in my second season, after I was allowed to fly solo, whilst the primary trainer was in the hangar. It flew like a sack of spuds. I was not too remorseful when I pranged it trying to land deadstick, tank empty, downwind with an elderly member retrieving a model from the far end of the strip. His rate of progress made Capt. Tom off the telly Look extremely spritely.

BTC

Richard Wood16/04/2020 15:15:43
1096 forum posts
164 photos

As said, probably not the best first model but fine as a Cessna lookalike for a reasonably experienced flier.

Trevor Crook16/04/2020 15:28:22
968 forum posts
69 photos

Never experienced the "New" one, but the original balsa one was a peach - gave plenty of instruction on several in the 1980s, it was the most popular trainer in the club.

Robert Telford 116/04/2020 17:12:49
3 forum posts

Thanks for all the responses. Indeed, thats the one i’m looking for. From what i can tell, the fibreglass version originally had a 1.4m span, which was modified at some stage to 1.6m. I guess this was to reduce the wingloading from that porky fuz, hence why I am looking to see if there is a 1.6m span version around.

Robin, that would be great thanks! Please let me know when you have had a chance to check and we can take it from there.

fly boy316/04/2020 17:17:41
3677 forum posts
22 photos

I agree with Trevor, in the 70s to the 80s this was the trainer of choice. Flew great on a 40, three or four channel. The balsa and ply model could take heavy landings in its stride, and if damaged, easily repaired as it was a box section with foam wings. Cheers. ps this one is on outer zone.

Edited By fly boy3 on 16/04/2020 17:19:25

Robin Colbourne17/04/2020 17:12:06
594 forum posts
17 photos
Posted by Robert Telford 1 on 16/04/2020 17:12:49:

Thanks for all the responses. Indeed, thats the one i’m looking for. From what i can tell, the fibreglass version originally had a 1.4m span, which was modified at some stage to 1.6m. I guess this was to reduce the wingloading from that porky fuz, hence why I am looking to see if there is a 1.6m span version around.

Robin, that would be great thanks! Please let me know when you have had a chance to check and we can take it from there.

Will do Robert!

I would certainly agree that the original MFA Yamamoto was a very forgiving design and an excellent trainer. I learnt on one powered by a Merco 35, and I subsequently bought another when giving one to one lessons, as it could fly slow enough for older beginners to keep up with. The plan for this one is available on Outerzone, and I'm sure one of the various foam wing cutting companies around the country could produce the wing cores.

MFA Yamamoto Plan - Wooden Fuselage

Robin Colbourne02/05/2020 16:05:41
594 forum posts
17 photos

Hi Robert,

If I am not mistaken, this is a New Yamamoto. MFA New Yamamoto on Ebay - 2 May 2020

I can't tell which size it is, but you could always message the seller. If you are not in a desparate hurry, it would be worth asking if he would hang on to it for you to collect once the lockdown is over.

Cheers, Robin

Andy Stephenson02/05/2020 20:08:42
169 forum posts
28 photos

I first remember seeing the Yamamoto kit in the window my LMS back in the 70s. My first thought was that someone is having an ironic laugh with that name as this was the same as the Japanese Admiral who was shot down by the Americans whilst travelling in a plane during WWII.

A.

Tim Flyer03/05/2020 18:51:18
1290 forum posts
236 photos

They also look much better than a Wot 4 . Despite being the owner of two Wot 4s I must say the Yamamoto certainly wins the beauty contest ! I do remember a friend having one with an Irvine 40 in the 70s 😊

Robin Colbourne30/05/2020 21:59:47
594 forum posts
17 photos

Another New Yamamoto on eBay starting at £5: New Yamamoto in Northampton

If you are into these, it would be worth it for a spare fuselage.

The tailplane looks decidedly small and definitely not the original shape

Regarding Andy Stephenson's point about the name; whilst watching Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines for the gazillionth time, I noticed the Japanese competitor's name was Yamamoto. Thanks to Eric Sykes's sabotage to his aeroplane, his final 'arrival' bore a marked similarity to some of those on my original MFA Yamamoto.

ITs a good thing I don't live anywhere near Northampton, otherwise I might be tempted to give homes to some of his other models.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 30/05/2020 22:03:15

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!