Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Today at Ashbourne

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geoff Sleath18/10/2018 21:01:01
3502 forum posts
320 photos

It was as perfect as it's possible to be at this time of year at Ashbourne. A select few gentlemen flyers playing with their models in warm(ish) sunshine with almost clear blue skies and very light wind. Lets hope it stays like this for this Sunday's scale fly-in.

A couple of interesting models:

First, Jim Harrison's A10. Jim drew the plans and scratch built it to his usual high standards. It has 2x 90mm fans each supplied from a 6S 5AH battery and weighs in at around 17 lbs IIRC. I asked Jim what power the fans were producing and he'd forgotten but, at a guess, there must be getting on for 3kw because the endurance is only 5/6 minutes. He says it flies like a trainer and I an witness that it's very aerobatic and a spectacular sight in the air.

dscn2175.jpg

And then there was this: A scale model the builder assures me. Aileron and elevators on the swept back wing tips. It does fly, I've seen it but landing is tricky and appears to need a bit more elevator to flare properly. The builder only appears occasionally and I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know his name. The engine is a Saito flat twin.

dscn2177.jpg

I had few more flights with my new Wot4 and my DB 58" Gypsy Moth which is probably my favourite model right now. I spent much of one 8 minute fliught doing touch and goes (some were even OK).

_mg_5636.jpg

What a day. Hoping for more on Sunday!

Geoff

Alan Gorham_18/10/2018 21:33:40
1077 forum posts
129 photos

The second model is of a Granger Archeopteryx an English homebuilt aircraft of the 1920's. I believe a close relative of the designers and builders is an active Aeromodeller called Richard Granger. In fact, I think he may have custody of the full-size a/c.

Geoff Sleath18/10/2018 21:42:05
3502 forum posts
320 photos

Thanks Alan. I was told it was a Granger now you mention it but I wasn't sure. Apparently it was built in Nottingham but there was only one ever built as I understand it. It's certainly a challenging project to say the least.

Geoff

stu knowles18/10/2018 21:57:21
575 forum posts
44 photos

I seem to think that its at Old Warden - I'm not aware that it flies though

Geoff Sleath18/10/2018 22:06:55
3502 forum posts
320 photos

I was at Old Warden a few weeks ago and I didn't see it but that doesn't mean it isn't there - the Flying Flea is hung high up in the rafters of one of the display hangars for instance and easily missed if you're not looking for it.

Geoff

Alan Gorham_18/10/2018 22:10:08
1077 forum posts
129 photos

No it used to be at Old Warden and was flown. The throttle quadrant was mounted on the outside of the fuselage and power was so marginal that the pilot had to tuck his elbows into the cockpit to achieve a climb.

I think it is being restored by Richard Granger, but to flying condition or not I can't remember.

reg shaw19/10/2018 13:40:59
639 forum posts
562 photos

The full size Archeopteryx is being restored to fly by the Granger family. It is due to be test flown by Rob Millinship at Old Warden where is destined to be based. We went over to have a look at progress a good few months ago and the blokes workshop was fantastic, free flighters hanging on anything hangonable and a Stanley Steam Car in the corner, fully useable and a regular driver. Who's was the model Geoff? Please tell me he and it is coming to the scale day?

Ian.

Geoff Sleath19/10/2018 15:18:47
3502 forum posts
320 photos

He's not coming on Sunday because he has family commitments. I'm afraid I don't know his name but I do know He's a friend of Alan Walker who builds wonderful models that, sadly, never get flown. He has a Gloster Gladiator (or possibly Gauntlet) that is incredible. I saw it over 5 years ago, complete but still unflown.

It flew yesterday but the landing was less than perfect. He felt there was insufficient elevator and the CoG was too far forward - perhaps the latter is the cause of the former? It needs a Redshaw to fly it

See you Sunday, hopefully. I may be up tomorrow.

Geoff

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us